quick question about temps && cals

Options
i just have a quick question about Calories. I work outside in the heat yet my workouts are never usually like today. Due to the temp being 96* today i ended up sweating alot more than usual. Do i loose more calories on a warmer day than a colder day?

Replies

• robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    :wink: I think it is possible. One reason can be by sweating the water out...meaning getting dehydrated. So be careful in the heat and remember to drink extra water to make up for the water you lose in the heat!! Keep up the good work.
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you are drinking a lot of water when working out in cold weather. While you are more likely to get dehydrdated while it is hot, it is very easy to get dehydrated while it is cold also. :drinker:
  • MissTiffxoxo
    Options
    thanx!!!

p.s. gurgi22 --cute cats!!!
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    Actually, you burn more calories in the cold, sorry
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yep, your body actually doesn't do any extra calorie burn during a hot time. In fact trying to work out in 96 degree heat is dangerous, I would avoid it if possible. As others said, the least precaution would be to drink about 6 oz of water every 10 minutes you work out, more if you're doing a vigorous workout. And you should never work out in that heat in the sun, it's bad news, it's a good way to get heat stroke.
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    Never mind, I just looked it up and some doctor says in the heat you burn more. I was always told that you burned more in the cold because it took more to warm you up. Oh well. I was probably wrong.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I always FEEL like I burn more calories when it's hot. I remember in the 80's people used to wear those metallic workout suits or workout in black garbage bags to make them sweat more. Crazy stuff.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Never mind, I just looked it up and some doctor says in the heat you burn more. I was always told that you burned more in the cold because it took more to warm you up. Oh well. I was probably wrong.

I read that article as well. The "doctor" is a quack. That was one of the most irresponsible things I have ever seen from an alleged medical professional.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    It's true that you burn more calorie in COLD weather.
    Also drink cold ice water also burns more calorie.