Flat Tummy

Options
Hi all!

I've heard that to eventually have a flat belly, you've got to lose the weight on it first before toning your abs, but I'm finding it really hard! I need to lose the weight on my lower belly, does anyone have any useful tips for this? (dietary or exercise wise) Its so hard! I'm also a student so preferably dietary tips on a student budget!

As well as this, I'm wondering if I do situps and crunches now, will it help, or should I wait til I lose the extra fat?

Replies

• tstokes65
    tstokes65 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that crunches where #1 when it comes to toning abs. Just started doing crunches about 2-3 weeks ago (30 crunches 5 days a week). Im ready to increase now. It does get easier the more you do it. Hope this helps
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    You should start doing planks now, as it will strengthen your core, which can only help with other exercises, as well. And it will help flatten the tummy. But you're right, the key is weight loss.

Here's a video on how to do a proper plank:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSHjTRCQxIw
  • smkey
    smkey Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You should start doing planks now, as it will strengthen your core, which can only help with other exercises, as well. And it will help flatten the tummy. But you're right, the key is weight loss.

Here's a video on how to do a proper plank:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSHjTRCQxIw

Agreed - any core exercise is good. I may never have the ellusive flat tummy but I've got a killer 6-pack in hiding!
    Cardio is big for losing any fat. Targeting areas for fat loss is somewhat of a myth so just exercise and eat right. The other possibility is wheat/gluton. Some people hold weight in their midsections from that. Just a thought.
  • Dskwon
    Dskwon Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi all,

When it comes to a flat stomach (for the ladies) or ripped abs (for the men), it is entirely down to the body fat levels. Core exercises and crunches (and variants) are great for building strength and increasing the mass of the abdominal muscles, but any progress made is hidden behind the layer of fat.

I've known many folks who didn't do an ab crunch in their life, but due to low body fat levels had a finest sets of abs you'll ever see.
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    michelle: I am in the same boat! I have been working out for 12 weeks now. This has always been my problem area and it's where I know I need to work the most. I am going to be finishing the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution in 2 weeks and it has really helped a lot. (There is a HUGE amount of planks in the workouts!) I have lost 8 lbs and almost 24 inches-- 3 off my waist and 3 off my hips (the rest came off of bust, arms, legs, etc)! After it's over, I am am thinking of doing P90X (my hubby's been doing it the past month). He says there is a great core workout. We'll see if it rips my abs apart!! LOL (and the rest of my body for that matter!!!) hahaha I've was also doing extra cardio (treadmill) for most of the program too, but got tired of it...so I got me some Zumba dvds which are more fun LOL though I'm not that dancy/coordinated! thought that by doing more cardio it would help melt the fat off too. :smile:

tstokes: thanks for the cruch idea!
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly no expert but belly area-wise I heard doing crunches were a waste of time because you can't spot-lose or whatever. I've heard the best way to lose belly fat is to keep sugar to 15 grams a day. I think that must be added sugar because if you drink any amount of milk and eat a piece of fruit that'd be pretty much it for sugar for the day which seems crazy.
    I hate doing regular crunches so my new best friends have been reverse crunches. They're easier on your back. I feel like they're working (I do 300 a day 5 days a week) along with 60 of some crazy lookin exercise that I recall Dr. Oz saying was good for toning your pelvic floor. You lay on the floor for a crunch but you put the soles of your feet together and lift your legs that way.
  • michellegrant1
    michellegrant1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone! :) this has really helped! ive got muscle under the fat, i can feel it, its just getting there! hahaha much love to you all x