help... cough cough

I'm at work and my face is on fire, my ears squeak and pop, my nose is runny and plugged, and my coughs are heading to my chest. I think I heading for the flu.

I can't have the flu!! I don't want it and I can't have it! I've been to the doctor once for a bladder infection last year and i didn't have a good experience (that's the only time I've ever been to the doctor as long as I can remember) and antibiotics ruin my body. I just can't do it! What can I do.. will it really just run its course or do i have to take an antibiotic?
Is there a fast moving foods that will keep me from getting the flu?

:sad: tired and sick at work,

Jen

Replies

• jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    I'm at work and my face is on fire, my ears squeak and pop, my nose is runny and plugged, and my coughs are heading to my chest. I think I heading for the flu.

I can't have the flu!! I don't want it and I can't have it! I've been to the doctor once for a bladder infection last year and i didn't have a good experience (that's the only time I've ever been to the doctor as long as I can remember) and antibiotics ruin my body. I just can't do it! What can I do.. will it really just run its course or do i have to take an antibiotic?
    Is there a fast moving foods that will keep me from getting the flu?

:sad: tired and sick at work,

Jen
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Try emergen-c and also airborne......during the winter I NEVER miss a day and I don't get sick....and I might add I don't do the flu shot either......Yes I am a student nurse ironic huh?

dd
  • If its the flu then its viral. And you can't take an antibiotic for a virus. Only for a bacteria. Most people would suggest a flu shot or to go to the Dr. immediately to get something to minimize your symptoms. I've never had a flu shot and never plan on getting one. So If it were me I would just try to take it easy, make sure to take my vitamins and drink some Chamomile tea. It does wonders.
  • Try some rosehip tea! It works wonders. I get my rosehips at the health food store, grind them in a coffee grinder, and make tea. Trust me, drink a few cups a day and you will be feeling better in no time!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    well if you have the flu you just need to rest and get a lot of fluids. I had it last week and the worst of it was about 3 days, same symptoms you have and couldn't seem to get enough sleep. Do what your body is asking you to do in order to recover and get back to normal. You can take supplements and such but really, if you went to any doctor the first thing they would tell you is to get plenty of fluids.

get well soon, it won't last long, rest and you will be fine.
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • tjblack
    tjblack Posts: 122
    Vitamin C. Hot tea. and lots of liquid. and lots of rest.

Hope you feel better:flowerforyou: :drinker::flowerforyou:
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Try emergen-c and also airborne......during the winter I NEVER miss a day and I don't get sick....and I might add I don't do the flu shot either......Yes I am a student nurse ironic huh?

dd

I totally agree with zenmama...that stuff rocks!
  • jbuehrer
    zenmama- that is Ironic!! I've never had the flu shot either... I think it's a fluke sometimes:happy:

crystalicfusion- I am drinking chamomile right now :flowerforyou: thanks!

coralee- I've never heard of rosehip tea... I'll give it a try.. We have a herbal store that I don't use as much as i want. I'm going to stock up.

mnbarnum- I very rarely get sick but in the past year I've been sick at least once a month (probably because I went from a very mobile job to an office job) I'll drink lots and lots of water and see what that does... my husband is on his way with chicken soup.... :laugh: it's cute.

thank you all
  • jbuehrer
    so i will by airborne too... I've gotten start making a list:happy:
  • Good luck-I just came from the doctor- I am out of work for at least 2 days:(
  • Hey guys, just for the record! Influenza is pretty nasty and can be fatal. Take care of yourself! The Flu shot doesn't keep you from getting the Flu, it keeps the Flu from killing you. Straight from our Family Doctor's mouth!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    I used to get the flu shot when I worked the restaurant biz. Otherwise I'd be sick all winter. But I haven't had the shot in 10 years, and I haven't had the flu. I'm really healthy, though. Genes.

My step-bro swears by layering clothes and climing in a sleeping bag to "sweat it out". I don't know, but to each his own.

Definitely fluids. I always take Theraflu ( the lemon) for symptoms, but it has to run its course.

Feel better. :drinker:

Cheryl :flowerforyou:
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389

dd

I also do not get the flu and I take these at the first sign of an ache. Also, echinacea, in either tablet or liquid form, I prefer the liquid. I had a 24 hour thing last week, first time I had anything since I moved 3 years ago, and it was 6 or 7 years before that.

I'm a preschool teacher by training and one of the hardest leassons I had to teach parents is that it's a myth that cold makes you sick, it's actually viruses and germs and bacteria--fresh air can be helpful. I air out my spaces often, disinfect things like door handles, sink faucets, anything people share, even in your own house. I always have everyone wash their hands when they come in from any public place--restaurants, school, shopping, movies, doesn't matter.
  • jbuehrer
    Hey guys, just for the record! Influenza is pretty nasty and can be fatal. Take care of yourself! The Flu shot doesn't keep you from getting the Flu, it keeps the Flu from killing you. Straight from our Family Doctor's mouth!!

holy cow! I didn't realize!
    I think I will see a doctor today... I feeling better today than i did yesterday... my coughing gives me a headache...:grumble:
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    on the bright side, you won't have any appetite either!!!:laugh:
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    1.Echinaccia--I have no idea how you spell it but it is herbal and helps to boost the immune system.
    2.Viatmin C is also good
    3.Rest

4.and Fluids! Fluids! Fluids!!

Take care!!

*Kistinbee*
  • :tongue: ok im a preschool teacher and i work for the pulic i see at least 60 differnt kids a day :explode: yes i have the flushot first year im 31 my doctor told me i should get it jst in case and surprisely i havent had the flu!!! i hope i didnt ginx my self!!! but yes im always at the sink washing my hands and cleaning everything !!!!so i dnt really know if it truly works i jst know i havent got sick yet!!! :devil: