Strength Training; now or later?

Options
I am sorry if this topic has been posted before...but when should I start strength training? Do I wait until I am closer to goal or begin now?

Also I hear everyone say they lift "heavy" so what is a good beginners workout? I've heard of new rules of weight lifting but can't afford the book.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yesterday. But before that, if you can.

if you want free, look up Stronglifts
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    or have a look on bodybuilding.com, they have tonnes of programs to do
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I would start now. I started at the beginning of my weight loss a year ago and I am so glad I did. Start out with the weights you can and go from there.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Today!

I've noticed a huge difference in the way my body sheds weight and how I look since strength training ... pure cardio kind of shrunk me all over, but strength training is really improving the shape of my body instead of just shrinking (my upper arms are more solid, my belly is vanishing, my legs are more shapely, my chest is perkier, etc etc).
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Yesterday. But before that, if you can.

if you want free, look up Stronglifts

Totally this! You also may want to think differently about you goal and make it a lower body fat goal as opposed to losing weight. Would you really care what the scale said if you were fitter, stronger, looked great, felt great and were in the best health of your life?
  • lostinureyes17
    lostinureyes17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will def. have to look up that site. I would be ok with weighing more but having a smaller bf %
  • melinda2308
    melinda2308 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I started last year I did the elliptical and upper body with 5 lb weights. In the first 3 months i lost almost 4 inches around my chest/upper back area. The scale moved 1 pound. But the inches fell off. I would do weights and interval training every workout. cardio and upper body one day, cardio and lower body next day. day off, then repeat. Works for the inches but your scale may not move for months
  • lostinureyes17
    Options
    I'd be happy with the inches falling off. I am more concerned with being happier and fitting into my clothes
  • Caligirl_92
    Caligirl_92 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Right this second:happy: . It can be sorta discouraging to lose weight slowly because you feel like you work your butt off but if you do strength training you almost immediately see the results. Not on the scale but for sure on how you look and how you fit into things. I'm slowly losing weight but I'm already 2 sizes down and i can feel my abs and getting toned arms. Trust me way better to do it all at once :)
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    When?
    Now! As for heavy or lite, yes....do both.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Always.
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm just intimidated by the whole thing. About getting hurt, doing things "wrong". I guess I should just throw caution to the wind.
  • HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    weight training will help build muscles which will boost your metabolism
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Strength training is excellent, it boosts your metabolism so you burn long after your work out is over. You will find that it leans you out all over so you will see definition and shape change quickly. Far more rewarding than a number on a scale. In fact the number on the scale is just that a number, no one but you sees it really. However everyone sees you every day and how you look. They will notice the way your arms are starting to look more defined, when you reach for something or catch sight of your bicep or tricep for the the first time, you will be so amazed! Start today.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Now, now, now--it's ALWAYS now!! :flowerforyou:
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    now, do it now. No reason to wait!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Also I hear everyone say they lift "heavy" so what is a good beginners workout? I've heard of new rules of weight lifting but can't afford the book.
    I checked NROLFW out from my local library. Look it up in yours!
  • lostinureyes17
    Options
    I checked NROLFW out from my local library. Look it up in yours!

I'll have to check it out. I have a kindle so maybe I can download it from the library on there.
  • lostinureyes17
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I do some of the weight machines at the gym but I'm very weak and never sure if I'm actually making an impact or not.
  • plbrown81
    plbrown81 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try and look up "Body for Life" as well. It's at least a good starting point for weight lifting, and has a few routines written out in it. It's not effective FOREVER, but if you've never weight lifted before it's not a bad place to go to get some idea.

Also, if you're a member of a gym, see if you can get an orientation session. Most gyms have one, and they should show you some basic machines and how to use them.