anyone bake their own bread here?

Options
2»

Replies

• holico26
    holico26 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bake my own bread, roll my own tortillas, make my own pizza crusts, even make my own crackers.

I typically just pick something in the database that seems like it would be pretty close, but sometimes I make my own entry and literally as you said just add it all together and divide by number of servings - as stated above - time consuming, but you only have to do it once.

I make my own tortillas too, but they always come out rigid & hard to roll, how are yours? can you post your recipes?
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Bump for that recipe
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that, in the spirit of completely hijacking this thread any pm's with bread making tips, recipes etc would be appreciated. Also anyone from the UK suggesting brands / equipment i might need etc would be great!
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Excellent suggestions and loving all the "tricks of the trade" here. :drinker:

I had brushed the top of the loaf with water before I put it in, but only once, rather than every 10 mins so I'll try that next time. :bigsmile:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I bake my own using whole grains, and the data base is full of like breads.
    It's all a guess, but my bread is healthier than any store brand, so I feel like I am playing it safe going with their calorie count.
    And I cut back on breads big time.
    It adds huge numbers to my daily intake.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    My roommate in college and I used to make our own bread and bagels.

When I make stuff from scratch (like the breadsticks, I had my class make last week), I find all the calories for each ingredient then add them all together and divide it by the number of servings I think there should be.
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    Excellent suggestions and loving all the "tricks of the trade" here. :drinker:

I've got loads more where that came from, and I usually enjoy troubleshooting problematic recipes. hit me up anytime.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    imput all the ingredients into the recipe counter.. bake then weight it in ounces. use the number of ounces as servings. weigh each slice before consuming...
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    imput all the ingredients into the recipe counter.. bake then weight it in ounces. use the number of ounces as servings. weigh each slice before consuming...

this is what i do. especially important for free-form loaves and boules.

or you could enter serving size, one loaf :tongue: (yes, i have. home made bread is GOOD)
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I have been baking my own bread for over 10 years. I don't buy bread anymore. I go to my recipes and create a new one. Add every ingredient and figure out how many slices I can get out of it. That will be your serving. Have fun baking!
  • Mamao7
    Mamao7 Posts: 79
    Options
    bump will finish reading later..
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I make bread daily but Roti isn't baked, you just cook it over the stove. But you can enter the entire recipes and put down how many servings each bread will contain and go from there
  • lunchlady1208
    Options
    Bump for recipes :)