Fitbit

Options
13»

Replies

• Deltafliers
    Deltafliers Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    A lot of what I would say is mentioned here, but I will give a little more info about how I chose. :smile: First and foremost, I would like to say I love my fitbit, even tho it is not a heart rate monitor, and it has been a huge help with my weight loss goals, as well as helping me to be more active!

I myself had a lot of trepidation about ordering a fitbit, but after looking looking into the cost of diet supplements/month vs the fitbit, I chose the fitbit. Assuming I take care of my fitbit properly, the warrenty is for one year, therefore the cost of the fitbit/month equates to a little more tha $8/month. I also used the reviews on amazon and took all the 4&5 star reviews and found the percentage of those happy with the fitbit because all the reviews were not always great...the percentage of people you were happy with the fitbit was about 80% (in March 2012).

The other thing I would like to mention in regards to the fitbit not being a heart rate monitor: there is a calculation to the fitbit when it comes to energy expenditure. For anyone who has every used the wii fit plus, this should sound familiar--the fitbit uses MET's to determine energy expenditure values.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I am seriously considering buying one. I am looking for something that will accurately track the number of calories I burn during my zumba or kickboxing class. Is the fit bit accurate for that?

The Fitbit is fabulous...but NOT for Zumba or kickboxing, for those activities you really need a HRM.

Agreed, during my zumba class my fitbit told me I climbed 52 flights of stairs. LOL other than that, I love it.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have been using my fitbit daily for 3 months and I like it a lot. It does a pretty good job with steps taken, stairs, and distance. It will not give anything about speed or heart rate. I wear mine daily and don't take it off unless I am charging it. It does not take the place of a HRM and I use one in addiiton for my actual workouts because the fitbit does not do a good job with weightlifting, running and swimming. If you just plan to walk, it would be good. It will give you amount of calories burned, but it is usually much lower than what my HRM says for workouts. I do use it to determine how much I burn in a day because it works well with the MFP interface. I am glad I have mine as an additional tool.

This... I love mine too. I've only had one day in the last 4mths that I haven't worn it and I was so frustrated at myself for leaving it in the charger! A very valuable tool although, as mentioned above, its not a replacement for a HRM. I think you need both.
  • Deltafliers
    Deltafliers Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It's great for getting a really good look at your normal activity level each day. It is super helpful if you walk or run for exercise. If I do something that isn't picked up well for a pedometer (like 30 Day Shred) I input it into MFP and it wipes out the "walking" for that time period and inputs the assumed calorie burn for my height & weight. So it's great as a fancy pedometer but it's not great for kickboxing, weight lifting, cycling, etc.

I do this too, and it is very helpful!
  • no1canadianangel
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone for all your input.. I think I am sold... after i spend all my money on my vacation in less than a week, I will be buying it LOL

Thanks everyone :)
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    How would I go about using a treadmill to calculate my pace for my fitbit ? I notice the gym ones have MET and pace etc when I am on them.
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've had mine almost 18 months and haven't missed a day wearing it, I love it. I do still wear a HRM for exercise and log that on MFP. I love the fact that the two sites are now integrated so I don't have to "double log" anymore. :P My first one cracked and they replaced it at no charge. EXCELLENT customer service!