Kind of a weird question but....

Options
Ok, so I started on MFP a week ago today and I haven't checked any weight loss yet because I don't want to get too obsessed about it. BUT...I noticed yesterday that I was peeing a LOT. Is this normal? (When I say a lot I mean a lot!). Help anyone?

Replies

• drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Well how much are you drinking? I found when I upped my water intake I was going to the bathroom all the time but now it's not as bad. I drank like NO water before I started concentrating on my diet and well that's not good because water is super important for health.
  • suthrnladey
    Options
    Have you increased your water intake or cut out soda, coffee, etc?
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Have you started tracking your water intake? Maybe you're drinking more. Or maybe you're watching your sodium and eating less. Either could lead to peeing more. (If you've started exercising more, you could also be drinking more water without realizing it).

Other than that, I don't know if it's normal or not. Sorry :huh: If you're concerned, maybe a quick call to the Dr's office/nurse could answer the question for you.
  • Elorasdad
    Elorasdad Posts: 7
    Options
    If you are taking in a lot more water during the day that would account for it. Also are you eating more vegetables and fruit? those can account for more trips.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Depends but it's very common- eating healthier leads to lower sodium levels and better hydration. You might be drinking more water and eating/drinking less processed food that stays in your system for long periods.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    When I started eating right and working out, I also started drinking alot of water since water helps tons with fitness and weight-loss. Increased water intake meant that I was losing my water weight and I now have to visit the john alot more often. This does normalize after your body realizes that you will be drinking water steadily and your trips to restroom will decrease but in the begining its totally normaly IF you increased your water intake
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    If are drinking more than normal then thats your answer right there. I always drink like a camel so I had no problem with the change, it was the other hole I had problems with the first week!!!
  • mollysonnotice
    Options
    My bladder is a factory since I started drinking 8-12 cups of water a day. My professors hate me for it, but hey, it happens. Your body will get used to it. If not, thats when you should start wondering....

my opinion at least
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Three things can be happening:

1. If you are drinking more water output will of course increase.
    2. If you have started eating foods with less sodium you could be flushing water weight.
    3. If you have switched to more fruits and vegetables in your diet they have mroe water in them too.....
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Uh, Uh....that is a weird question.
  • LionelMandrake
    Options
    What's your carb intake? On a very low carb diet your metabolism shifts and you begin spilling ketones in your urine. This shift causes increased urine output. This is actually a goal in the Atkins induction phase. You can test for ketones by using test strips available at the drug store.
    Are you experiencing vivid dreams? Vivid dreaming is frequently present in ketosis.
  • jennipea382
    jennipea382 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Echoing the PPs that posted about water intake. I started drinking more water recently (instead of juice, milk, pop, etc) and I pee a lot more. Annoying when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't fall back asleep until I go again, but to me it's a sign that I'm staying hydrated.

If you're not taking in more water/liquids/foods with more water content, then I have no clue!
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Yeah I am drinking more water but I didn't think it was that much more. Obviously I was wrong! If it's getting rid of my water weight though then that's good. Hopefully my body will just get used to it. My carb intake is lower than it was but I'm not doing atkins or anything. Just trying to balance it all out. And yeah, I do get really vivid dreams. Have done for a few months now. I would never have connected the two.

Thanks for all the replies!