Parents: School Lunches

Options
123457»

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    ...a couple of boiled eggs, PB&J, apple or banana, a kashi bar and a homemade cookie for snack...

..a PB and nutella, banana and a kids cliff bar...

Maybe I'm a big dumb male... Ok, I'm a big dumb male... but... I though Kashi Bars and Nutella fell into the "bad" catagory?

No, you're not a big dumb male. But though Kashi and Nutella are far from heath food, they are acceptable components of an otherwise reasonably-balanced diet. Even for kids.

My daughter likes peanut-butter-and-nutella, and while it's not healthier than a PBJ, it's not any less healthy, and we can use less Nutella for the same effect as more jelly.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids so this may be slightly unrealistic, but 'some' people definitely need to teach their kids to be less picky eaters. If schools served what I (and probably many of you) eat they would have a riot on their hands. When I was younger my dad always made us finish our plates, whether we wanted to or not.

I have a picky eater, and if someone could tell me how to change that, I'm all ears!

I disagree with making kids "clean their plates" . My husband's parents did that to him and my SIL and now they have no idea how to tell when they are "full" they literally eat until all of the food is gone.. that's what they were conditioned to do.

I never ask my son to eat everything on his plate. But I do require him to eat some of everything on his plate. A couple bites of carrots, a couple bites of broccoli, he has to taste some of all of it. But I would never tell him he HAD to finish his plate if he was full.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids so this may be slightly unrealistic, but 'some' people definitely need to teach their kids to be less picky eaters. If schools served what I (and probably many of you) eat they would have a riot on their hands. When I was younger my dad always made us finish our plates, whether we wanted to or not. I think most kids become picky eaters because the parents are too lax. If your kid says he won't eat something, make him/her eat it anyways. They'll thank you when they grow up to be healthy people with an appreciation for a good diet.

It is a bit unrealistic, I have three. One is not picky and will eat whatever we serve, within reason. One is moderately picky, but doesn't load up on carbs and only likes 1 vegetable. The other is super picky, but consistently eats a 5-6 raw veggies. We raised them all the same. They are real people with their own preferences.

My parents used to force me to finish eat everything, and that can set you up for a lifetime of food issues where you feel compelled to "clean the plate". Bad, bad idea.

At our house, we prepare good stuff but it's their choice if they want to eat. We stop them from binging on things, but don't force them to eat anything they don't want. If they hate it all, and they decide to skip dinner, then they will be hungry. I might let them have an apple or something small and healthful.

On topic... we pack their school lunches and give them money for milk.
  • Ryansworld84
    Ryansworld84 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have two kids myself. What I find shocking is the fact that they got rid of vending/pop machines (great move) however they offer little debbie cookies, cakes, and such for an extra charge. As most of you know that is just as bad if not worse than a candy bar.

School's need to get their act together and here in the United States I believe its a big issue.
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I found an interesting homemade alternative to lunchables here that are healthier and cheaper:

http://www.squawkfox.com/2011/09/09/lunchables/

Gave me some neat ideas!

Love the site and now will make my own "lunchables" (like for myself haha). Thanks for sharing!
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids so this may be slightly unrealistic, but 'some' people definitely need to teach their kids to be less picky eaters. If schools served what I (and probably many of you) eat they would have a riot on their hands. When I was younger my dad always made us finish our plates, whether we wanted to or not.

I have a picky eater, and if someone could tell me how to change that, I'm all ears!

I disagree with making kids "clean their plates" . My husband's parents did that to him and my SIL and now they have no idea how to tell when they are "full" they literally eat until all of the food is gone.. that's what they were conditioned to do.

I never ask my son to eat everything on his plate. But I do require him to eat some of everything on his plate. A couple bites of carrots, a couple bites of broccoli, he has to taste some of all of it. But I would never tell him he HAD to finish his plate if he was full.

That seems a little silly. I think your husband's problem is the fast-food culture we live in. Specifically, wheat is supposed to suppress your ability to tell when you're full (we're all basically addicted to wheat). If you put the proper portion on your child's plate and then tell him he has to finish it (specifically the vegetables) in order to get up from the table, he will not be harmed. He will probably complain (obviously), but at that point it's the parent's duty to be firm. My dad's favorite thing to say was "faces over the trough." followed by oinking sounds. But I'll end there because I have no ground to talk about raising children. Good luck.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    What the schools serve is terrible. At my son's school, the kids have no choices, they either get the fattening entree (chicken nuggets, french toast, hotdog, etc.), or a bagel with cream cheese. Since when is a bagel a suitable lunch entree?

I had to laugh when the principal told me that I should consider putting my son on a lower carb diet. With the food they serve, it would be impossible. He is also picky and will not eat egss, tuna, or any cold meats except for lunch meat, so its hard to pack for him too. I don't like serving my kids deli meat - too much salt & additives, so I feel like my hands are kind of tied for providing a healthy lunch.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I went to a Mennonite school, we had actual food that was made from actual ingredients by actual people in the actual kitchen at my school. It was awesome.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Our school lunches are terrible also. I will not allow my daughter to buy lunch except on occasion and I tell her to make sure she gets a piece of fruit or veggie with it. She happens to like fruits and veggies so I trust her to do the right thing. So I send her to school with lunch nearly every single day. I am trying to break out of the food rut because it seems she eats the same things over and over plus I am trying to rely less on processed/packaged foods. It's not always easy. She does eat a lot of peanut butter and nutella sandwiches. But she also will eat a turkey sandwich or canned soup. If I have suitable leftovers I will pack that.. She has a pretty good thermos so food tends to stay hot which is good. Sometimes I will just send her with yogurt, banana, and a Clif Kids bar. But again, it's hard when you don't want to use packaged foods. I understand that it's all about cost when it comes to school lunches plus I think that they think that all kids will ever want to eat is pizza and hot dogs and chicken nuggets. But if that's all that's offered, they'll never know!
  • caiialily
    caiialily Posts: 28
    Options
    School lunches. Shiver. Where we live, we have great farm to school programs that supply our elementariness with fresh, local produce. But the junior high and high school? Hello soggy pizza and cold chicken nuggets! I've volunteered in the elementary schools as a nutrition educator and it is so sad that as soon as we've really had a chance to make a lasting impression, the kids graduate to places where it is nearly impossible to make good choices.

I suppose it could be worse. When I was in school, those many years ago, the district actually trucked in Domino's and Taco Bell. I happily paid $2 a day for a bean burrito and a can of soda. Selling junk food was a profit center.

All that said, it really does start at home. By being concerned with what your kids put in their mouths, you're already a good portion of the way there. It's such a challenge to teach kids to choose the fruit instead of the Twinkies. Getting your school administrators onboard helps. Getting the other parents onboard is even more effective.

While out walking my dog the other day I overheard a neighbor asking her husband if he wanted a gallon of milk to take on his camping trip. He replied he thought the kids would want some, to which she horrifyingly responded, "Well, I don't know what they'd want it with except chocolate. Don't bother." I nearly fainted.

I guess my point is that I think it is great to see the responses from all the concerned adults here. I just wish all parents and educators were so concerned.
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    School lunches. Shiver. Where we live, we have great farm to school programs that supply our elementariness with fresh, local produce. But the junior high and high school? Hello soggy pizza and cold chicken nuggets! I've volunteered in the elementary schools as a nutrition educator and it is so sad that as soon as we've really had a chance to make a lasting impression, the kids graduate to places where it is nearly impossible to make good choices.

I suppose it could be worse. When I was in school, those many years ago, the district actually trucked in Domino's and Taco Bell. I happily paid $2 a day for a bean burrito and a can of soda. Selling junk food was a profit center.

All that said, it really does start at home. By being concerned with what your kids put in their mouths, you're already a good portion of the way there. It's such a challenge to teach kids to choose the fruit instead of the Twinkies. Getting your school administrators onboard helps. Getting the other parents onboard is even more effective.

While out walking my dog the other day I overheard a neighbor asking her husband if he wanted a gallon of milk to take on his camping trip. He replied he thought the kids would want some, to which she horrifyingly responded, "Well, I don't know what they'd want it with except chocolate. Don't bother." I nearly fainted.

I guess my point is that I think it is great to see the responses from all the concerned adults here. I just wish all parents and educators were so concerned.

Actually, a large number of teachers and educators have expressed their absolute disgust with school lunches. Which is disturbing.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I grew up in NYC inner city where school lunches were awesome.I grew up in a poor home where food was limited. Then again, my mom was a horrible cook. So I always looked forward to school lunch. My kids school makes kids take a fruit and salad. I raised my kids liking water, veggies and fruit. They do a pretty good job at my son's school. Only on Fridays do I see the pizza, or burger or hotdog option. Other than that, steamed talapia, grilled chicken breast, chicken soup and so one are the things I see. It's like they're eating at a freakin bistro. Oh, and for the veggie kids, they have PBJs on wheat, grilled eggplant parm or veggie soup. No wonder my taxes are so freakin high. Anyway, go school food! If it wasn't for it, I would've starved to death.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    We never had school lunches in elementary school. Well, we had pizza day once a month. Which it'd be nice if that was changed but once a month, for a slice of pizza, not a "big" deal, I wouldn't think anyway.
    In high school, we had a cafeteria, but of course my parents didn't pay for it so I packed my own lunch.

Sandwiches, salads, wraps, fruits.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i'd say our school's lunch is 70% great, 30% not so great.

the great:
    -there are always 2 options for veggies (one is raw, such as broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, carrots or celery and one is cooked, such as green beans, peas or corn) and the child must take one
    -there are always 2 options for fruit (one is raw, such as apples, oranges, kiwi, strawberries or grapes and one is canned, such as peaches, pears or applesauce) and the child must take one
    -there is an salad bar that has sunflower seeds, cheese and additional veggies that is available to ALL students (even those that bought a lunch from home)
    -their drink is a miniature water bottle (so many milk allergies at the school that they just stopped providing milk, yay!)
    -there are always 3 options for the main lunch meal, except fridays which is always homemade (schoolmade?) pizza
    -one of the main lunch meal options is always vegetarian (not salad)
    -they have never served french fries
    -their baked paprika chicken is killer YUM!
    -80% of the food is fresh and cooked at the school, not packaged and reheated crap

the not so great:
    -a lot of times the 'forced' food goes to waste because the kid didn't want it but had to take it
    -the salad bar only provides ranch dressing
    -of the 3 lunch options, one is always a processed choice, such as corndog, chicken nuggets, breaded 'steak' fingers, instant mashed potatoes
    -their menu repeats every 2 weeks
    -they offer a 'snack cart' of cookies and chips for an additional cost or that kids can 'earn' through helpful behavior
    -breakfast is always package crap - burritos (my kids love these), pancakes, muffins, boxed cereal
    -lunch will be changing due to budget cuts
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options

That seems a little silly. I think your husband's problem is the fast-food culture we live in. Specifically, wheat is supposed to suppress your ability to tell when you're full (we're all basically addicted to wheat). If you put the proper portion on your child's plate and then tell him he has to finish it (specifically the vegetables) in order to get up from the table, he will not be harmed. He will probably complain (obviously), but at that point it's the parent's duty to be firm. My dad's favorite thing to say was "faces over the trough." followed by oinking sounds. But I'll end there because I have no ground to talk about raising children. Good luck.

And I think THAT seems a little silly. I refuse to make my son "clean his plate". And I would never equate him eating to pigs eating slop. Also, my husband RARELY ate fast food growing up and barely eats it now.. it's not an issue of a "fast food culture"...

At 2 years old (I'm not sure if I mentioned he's 2, 3 in October), but at that age, he eats small meals sometimes, and larger meals other times.. sometimes he eats ALL of his vegetables and asks for more, other times, he only has a couple bites and he's full. That's okay with me. I'd rather his body tell him when he's finished, not me.

But, it's okay.. we'll just agree to disagree, everyone has there opinion.. And that's fine.

ETA: I wanted to add that my husband and his sister do not have weight problems .. I'm realizing now that it may sound like he's overweight or obese and I was blaming that on their dad. Neither are ... but they WILL make themselves nearly sick trying to finish everything on their plate, that's what I was saying.