the skinny rules

Options
moran1917
moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
OK I would love to do the one month of the skinny rules to see how it makes me feel and what it might do for weight loss to perhaps help me through a plateau. I have a big problem though. I cannot eat citric acid, so like tomatoes, citrus fruits ect, due to a health problem. Many, many of the recipies call for tomatoes or citrus juice like lemon juice. I have no idea what I would substitute. On a sandwich or burger I just get pickles instead of tomatoes to keep the juicy part....but that will not work for say a chili or italian turkey burger made with tomatoes.

Any ideas?

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    You should repost this with a subject line like "what to substitute for tomatoes / citrus juice?"

Better yet, try asking on a site like Chowhound; the people there are really good with this sort of question.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    uh...trick diets are temporary and if you cant do the rules for this particular trick diet, find another one...there are millions of them

or try the no junk diet. quit eating junk and see what happens besides saving money
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I don't even know what the Skinny Rules are about. I just eat what I want in moderation and I am fit (not skinny)
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Subs for citric acid totally depends on what you are trying to cook.

Just leave the tomatoes out of the chili. If you need liquid add broth.

Are the tomatoes on the burger for flavor or for moisture? I don't usually eat tomatoes on my burgers, chicken or otherwise.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    ... I cannot eat citric acid, so like tomatoes, citrus fruits ect, due to a health problem. Many, many of the recipies call for tomatoes or citrus juice like lemon juice. ...

Any ideas?

Yes. Don't do this diet.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    uh...trick diets are temporary and if you cant do the rules for this particular trick diet, find another one...there are millions of them

Sorry, this. If the citrus/acid thing is a big part of what you're looking at, look somewhere else? If it's just a minimal part, I'd say sub as necessary for recipes but go to a diff site (chowhound was suggested) and make the topic more specific.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options

I heard the Donkey Cabbage diet is amazing:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/635529-corn-used-my-man-parts-as-a-speedbag
  • drotarthebarbarian
    drotarthebarbarian Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have been using fresh red (sweet) peppers on sandwiches and it is YUMMY!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Mango powder can be used for tartness, but that may have citric acid too. Indian markets sell it.

Otherwise you can always leave citric-y things out. It's for flavor. Maybe use vinegar if you can handle that.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    You should repost this with a subject line like "what to substitute for tomatoes / citrus juice?"

Better yet, try asking on a site like Chowhound; the people there are really good with this sort of question.

Never mind. I just looked up the "Skinny Rules" diet, and I agree with above posters: don't bother. Just eat healthily.
  • Mrs_Sheila
    Mrs_Sheila Posts: 39
    Options
    Take the "rules" you can out of the book/diet and ditch the others. Who says you have to actually follow the meal plan as it is? I started reading it just because. NOT really for a diet to follow, but to see what it had to offer that maybe, just maybe I didn't know! LOL

I"m allergic to shellfish. I don't go looking for substitutes!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Anything with the word 'rules' rings alarm bells to me - sorry!

Exercise, moderation and clean foods all the way.