Laugh yourself skinny? Anyone have Laughter NSV?

NewLIFEstyle4ME
NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
I getting ready to turn in for the evening and got a weird thought???? I've always read and believe The Word, that says a merry heart is like a good medicine, then I thinking about laughing as "strength training of all things. I LOVE to laugh, and when I laugh, I can sometimes feel it in my abs.

Has anyone had any "Laughter" as an NSV or even weight loss tool? I found this info:

Healthy Weight Loss Tips: Laughter Is the Best Medicine

Smile though your heart is aching;
Smile even though it's breaking.
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by.
If you smile through your fear and sorrow,
Smile and maybe tomorrow,
You'll see the sun come shining through for you.

Light up your face with gladness,
Hide every trace of sadness.
Although a tear may be ever so near,
That's the time you must keep on trying,
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile,
If you just smile.

That's the time you must keep on trying,
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile

If we keep smiling, we're the better for it.

These lyrics of that wonderful old Nat King Cole song, later re-recorded by his daughter Natalie, say it all.

If we can take the next step and actually laugh, well, it's like strength-training for body and soul!

Laughter helps:

* Reduce blood pressure
* Reduce depression
* Boost immunity
* Increase feelings of relaxation -- laughter provides physical and emotional release
* Reduce stress – levels of stress hormones actually fall
* Increase energy
* Increase feelings of well-being – laughter raises levels of feel-good hormones like endorphins
* Make you more attractive – yes, happy people appeal to others
* Increase your joie de vivre

Healthy Weight Loss Tip #1:
Find the Funny Things in Life

For women who struggle with healthy eating and achieving and maintaining a healthy weight, humor also offers power, according to Josie Leavitt, stand-up comedian and star of our ‘Just Humor Me' special weeks at Green Mountain at Fox Run. “We can create humor where once we felt pain or embarrassment. If we can the humor in situations, they become less tense and that can only be a good thing.”

Josie also offers advice on how to find your inner comedian. “Give yourself permission to laugh at everything. Nothing is sacred. Remember that the things you struggle with are what are funny. I always tell my students, ‘If you had a great day, keep it to yourself. A day from hell, now that's funny.”

Consider frequenting comedy clubs to not only have a few good belly laughs (go with friends to make it even more fun), but also study how the pros do it. Tune into television comedies – even the re-runs of old shows can keep us laughing. Don't forget new and old funny movies -- there whenever we need a good giggle.

Finally, there's truth in the old saying to ‘fake it until you make it.' Like Nat King Cole's song, just pasting that smile on your face, or forcing a chuckle, can actually have positive effects whether you really mean it or not. And once you do it, you might find you really do mean it.

'Just Humor Me' Week

Green Mountain periodically hosts “Just Humor Me" weeks where interested participants are coached in stand-up comedy, joke writing, and ways to use humor in various situations. You'll learn how to live on the funny side of life and be the healthier for it! The week complements our usual program featuring healthy weight loss tips and strategies. Watch our website for future humor weeks.

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    I found this too on LiveStrong website:

Does Laughing Make You Lose Weight?

If you're looking to burn an extra 10 to 40 calories per day, you should seek out 10 to 15 minutes of comedy relief, according to the Vanderbilt University Medical Center. While the small increase in calorie expenditure won't replace a healthful diet and exercise regimen, taking time to relax and laugh certainly can't hurt. In fact, adding fun to your life might help with weight loss in other ways.
    Stress Factor

While the calories burned during laughter won't budge the bathroom scales any time soon, taking time out for a giggle can reduce your stress. Emotional eating can be triggered by stress, tension, anxiety and depression, according to Weight Watchers. Laughter helps counteract the stress response by increasing your oxygen intake, releasing endorphins and relieving muscle tension. In this way, laughter can help you lower your caloric intake if you use comedy as an alternative to comfort foods.
    Exercise Connection

Regular exercise boosts your mood and leaves you happier and relaxed, according to MayoClinic.com. When you pair exercise with an intentional pursuit of activities, people and entertainment that make you laugh, you're not only countering stress and anxiety, you're also living healthier and burning more calories. The better you feel, the more likely you are to make other lifestyle choices that contribute to a healthy weight.
    Food Factor

Your calorie intake plays a major role in weight management. In addition to exercise and a healthy dose of laughter, you need to monitor the quality and quantity of your diet. Although meals with friends and family can be fun, a relaxing dinner party can be distracting when it comes to watching your food intake. Have healthful choices and watch portion sizes. It would take nearly two hours of laughter to make up for consuming an extra 300 calories at dinner.
    Considerations

Weight loss depends on your creating a negative calorie balance. The most effective way to accomplish your weight goals is through a combination of diet modification and physical activity. If you strike a balance between smart lifestyle choices and fun downtime, you can reach your weight goals and enjoy the journey. Regular doses of genuine laughter improve immunity and make difficult life situations more bearable. The extra calorie expenditure -- that's a bonus.
    References

* Vanderbilt University Medical Center: No Joke: Study Finds Laughter Can Burn Calories; Clinton Colmenares; 2005
    * Weight Watchers: Mood and Weight
    * MayoClinic.com: Stress Relief From Laughter? Yes, No Joke
    * MayoClinic.com: Exercise: 7 Benefits of Regular Physical Activity

Article reviewed by Kirk Ericson Last updated on: Mar 7, 2011

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/398788-does-laughing-make-you-lose-weight/#ixzz1y6qU4gCE
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    bump
  • avisberry
    avisberry Posts: 3 Member
    Do you mind if I ask you about your experience at Green Mountain. I'm considering the program but there seems to be a lot of info online and on their website. What do they offer there that's not readily available online or on their site.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!