Butter or butter substitute?

Options
We all know butter is not ideal to use when trying to lose weight, but sometimes it's unavoidable whether called for in a recipe or just needed on a piece of toast. I have heard actual butter is much better for you as opposed to margarine or butter substitutes like "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!" or "Smart Balance." While those products have less calories and fat per serving, apparently all the chemicals, preservatives, etc. used to make those have less calories/fat are actually worse for you than eating actual butter.

What does everyone else think?

Replies

• Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
    I think butter is ideal to use while losing weight. It's a natural product, no transfat, cheap, convenient and tastes good. Enjoy your butter just don't eat a whole stick at once. Seriously you have 1/2 to 1 teaspoon on bread thats 36 calories max.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I eat butter. I just take the calories into consideration and adjust other things accordingly.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Butter. Nothing tastes as good or gives food the texture it gives. I just end up adding more fake stuff if I try to substitute -- which ends up negating any "positives" the impostor might have offered. Same goes for mayonnaise and sour cream. Stick with the original and just use less.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I use butter or earth balance. Everything else has something artificial in it.
  • GrandmaCarole
    GrandmaCarole Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I started using low fat peanut butter --1 tsp.-- on my toast. Better for you. You can get pureed peanuts (peanut butter) at health food stores and some grocery stores or use the brand that must be refrigerated to have no preservatives. I have poured off the oil of this one instead of mixing it in for even lower calories. Look for foods with recipies using oil instead of butter or shortening.
  • ixchel78
    ixchel78 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The only substitute for butter...

is BUTTER.

Everything in moderation, just be sure you pay attention to how much you are using and account for it in your food journal to keep you from slathering it on everything.

mmm.. butter
  • andy13
    andy13 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are from but in the UK you can get hellmanns extra light mayo, it's only 3% fat and 11 calories per tablespoon. It works for me.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    some light spreads have a really nasty taste and are kind of rubbery and dont 'melt' into warm toast.
    I comprimise by not going for 'extra light' options. Just regular buttery spread or light spread.

One of the best tasting lighter spreads is Bertolli Light - it melts into warm toast just as well and is 15 calories a go.
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My butter substitute is ... less butter. Or no butter.

Such a shame. I love butter. (I wonder why I'm here)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    My butter substitute is less butter.

There is just nothing like deep yellow Kerrygold Irish butter on a slice of warm bread. There are no substitutes.
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    BUTTER for me, why eat the yucky substitue which has transfats when you can have the real thing and just account for it.

I have real butter every morning on my toast.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The food industry fooled us all into eating those horrible trans fat margarines for years. They told us they were so healthy, when in reality they were super cheap garbage that's far far worse for cholesterol and longevity than butter.

So why bother with the fake spreads anymore? Butter tastes better any day of the week. If you have to choose b/w smart balance and I can't believe it's not butter, definitely choose smart balance though.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I use smart balance light sometimes but have learned not to use it to bake even though it saves the cals because it just ruins the taste. I agree with the person that said just use less butter. Its okay every now and again and as long as your food isnt absolutely drenched in it.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Butter or nothing for me...it's so much better and if I have to adjust other things to make it fit, it's worth it!
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I eat butter. I just take the calories into consideration and adjust other things accordingly.

THIS
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I keep real butter in the fridge, for those occasions when only the genuine article will do.

I also have spready stuff - mainly for husband, and because of his heart condition it'll be one of the cholesterol reducing spreads.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Butter all the way! Margarine is one of the things that clog your arteries.
  • Perixi
    Perixi Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Clover light is the best compromise ive found as it actually tastes salty and butter like.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Here's what I've fallen in love with and also they make a mayo type spread with Olive Oil also, no eggs, dairy etc. It's DA Best!

Earth Balance with Olive Oil

Earth Balance with Coconut Oil is awesome for swapping out butter/margarine for baking... mmm smells, tastes divine and healthier as well.

Regarding butter vs. margarine, I would always pick butter, it's not a chemical make up like some margarines. But as I shared, I've fallen in love with the brand above which also comes in regular, whipped or the Olive Oil I mentioned.

Cheers!:drinker:
    Hearts:heart:
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Real butter for me. I can't stand the taste of the others. I just use less than I did beofre :)