When family/friends say "you've gained weight" HOW TO DEAL?!

Options
I recently went to a family reunion and seen cousins and family that I haven't seen in several years. The first thing they say is "oh you gained weight" or "Look how big you've gotten". The sad truth is I've gotten most of these remarks from other overweight people. Hearing these put downs consistently all day really lowered my self esteem. Does any one have this problem? And how do you deal with the rude and obvious remarks?

Replies

• tugers2
    tugers2 Posts: 139
    Options
    it sounds horrible, but the thing is it's kinda good. if my family had said something like that to me it would have kick started my weight loss 10 years ago you know.... just make it so ur excited to see these people when ur slim and hot and instead of wow u got big, it'll be damn look at you! and then they'll be watching u and talking to each other about how great you look YOU CAN DO IT
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    The only person that can make you feel bad about yourself is you. Don't let them get to you. If it does bother you....Maybe drop a few lbs. be happy with yourself.
  • Littlemissjackie1
    Littlemissjackie1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    That is totally true, after I got over being bummed, their comments totally motivated me to TRY harder and to get back on track. It does hurt, but your right, I can't wait until the next reunion!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this. I went to take a exams (not cheap that I have to pay for) and the director made a spectacle of me in front of everyone there to take the exam. Needless to say I did not pass 2 of the exams and now have a mental block that is making me question anything I know for the exams now. What got me the most was this woman was not healthy or even close to it. She was short and close to the same overweight degree that I am. People sometimes have to make others feel bad to make themselves feel better about themselves.