New Guy... introduction and a question

Options
jtkwood
jtkwood Posts: 24 Member
Feel free to add me as a friend on here if you like.

New here. Not really 100% on understanding everything but I did well my first week.

Week 1
1082 Calories under weekly goal (due to exercise)
2299 Calories from exercise (so 1217 calories under weekly goal base)
At or under calorie goal 7/7
9lbs lost

Overall Goal: loose 48 lbs. Will likely move that up to 60 lbs...

I do have a questions, if anyone can help me. I don't really have a problem hitting my daily calorie intake target, typically within 10 calories. But days that I exercise I am usually 200-400 below the target. Where I live I can do a LOT of hiking and biking which is my preferred exercise. But I wind up with a large amount of calories left at the end of the day (I hike in the evenings too). All of these days I hit my calorie goal base, but with it adding back in exercise I wind up being under. Is that bad? The app is not telling me I need to eat more so I'm guessing it's ok.

Loving this app on my iPad (bar code scanner is awesome!!!) and the website.

Replies

• Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    If you lost 9 pounds in a week I would eat more. 2 is about the "generally accepted" max per week.
  • Jamie2007
    Jamie2007 Posts: 169
    Options
    If you lost 9 pounds in one week you need to eat more. I'm sure the 9 pounds seems great, but anything over, I'd say a max of 3 means you are definitely losing some muscle mass. You want to maintain muscle and burn the fat. It's okay to play with your #'s a little. Try eating half back and see how you make out.
  • tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If it was 9lbs in the first week a lot of it was probably water weight but if you continue to lose at that rate, then you probably do need to eat more.
  • ronya_dawnn
    ronya_dawnn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am brand new on here, as in I just signed up. But a quick thought regarding the comment about losing 9 pounds in a week. It's your first week following a new program, so that is not uncommon. Good for you! As for needing to eat more due to exercise, I would just keep an eye on your hunger levels and weight loss. As you listen to your body, you'll know when you need to eat more.
  • cowslaughmilk08
    cowslaughmilk08 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I say it depends on your weight. If your heavy and just introduing diet and exercise it would be a shock to your body. I say don't eat if your not hungry. it'll all even out. oh, and WAY TO GO!
  • proudtexan71
    proudtexan71 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Just saying what works for me . . .

My intake is set at 1340 calories. I rarely eat my exercise calories. Many people swear by eating them all - but, this works for me, so I'll stick with it. : )

Friends request sent.
  • kacinace
    kacinace Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If it was 9lbs in the first week a lot of it was probably water weight but if you continue to lose at that rate, then you probably do need to eat more.

This.
  • Arthurpod
    Arthurpod Posts: 9
    Options
    Funny. Sometimes I exercise to gain back calories so I can eat even more that day. Sounds pretty counter-intuitive to losing weight, right?
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Funny. Sometimes I exercise to gain back calories so I can eat even more that day. Sounds pretty counter-intuitive to losing weight, right?

I totally work to eat. Yum
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Losing to quick.
    Eat workout cals back.
    You don't want to lose lean body mass.
    Just the fat as stated by Jamie2007.
    This MFP sets you at a deficit.
    You need those cals back for energy to run your body.

Search this topic in the forums. Lots of great info there.
    Wish you much success.
  • abigailmariecs
    abigailmariecs Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have sent you a friend request.

Your diary is not open at this time so I don't know how many calories you are eating each day which makes the question a little hard to answer. It is generally accepted that you should consume, with exercise calories, no less than 1200 calories a day. However there are many different opinions about the right number of calories to eat and depending on your settings if you should eat the exercise calories back. There are many different things to consider and the most important thing is to figure out what works best for you. I am a fan of the Eat More to Weigh Less group myself but it works better with my lifestyle.

Your 9 pound loss could be part water weight loss, but once again it really depends on your calorie intake each day.
  • jtkwood
    jtkwood Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    1490 is my daily. I am very close to that every day. With exercise I'm over 2k but haven't eaten all the exercise calories back. After my hikes I'm really not hungry but I'll try and eat something I guess. High calorie junk food sounds good, lol. I haven't been starving by any means. Ice cream, snake cakes, steak ... I was only hungry one night. Recovering from a displaced shoulder so can only hike at this point. Once I get back on my bike I hope to burn ever more calories, which could get interesting when it comes to calorie count. Thank all of you for your suggestions.
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Now before you go "eating more" remember this is week one. 9lbs is totally acceptable for the first week while your body adapts to your life style changes. Keep in mind it may be a lot of fluid loss and nutrients thinning out. It is certainly not fat loss or muscle mass loss as that would not happen in the first seven days.

Of course the next week you will likely lose less, but I would stay with your plan 1490 is reasonable. I would try some nutrient dense foods if you do need to up calories at all.