I have 600 extra cals from exercise.

Options
We are going to the fair tonight and it is alot of walking. I put in 20 minutes of walking in my exercise part plus my usual 30 minutes on the eliptical and I have 600 extra cals. What am I going to eat???..lol:laugh: ....Seriously??...Would it be safe to eat a baked potato at the fair???..I know i know..don't go overboard,.....Between my usual cals and the extra cals I have 2200 cals to eat today....what to do.:grumble:

Replies

• kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    First of, if it was ME..I would probably only eat amybe 400 of the cals u burned...if u want to loose and not maintain
    I don't think one baked potatoe is going to hurt...I say enjoy just keep the rest of the dat clean/healthy...low carbs

Kim
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    Log all your foods in for the day to see if you have enough left over for a baked potato at the fair. As long as you have the calories, I say GO FOR IT!! :laugh:
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Baked potatoes aren’t inherently evil. It is the butter, sour cream, cheese, bacon bits, etc that kill it.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I would be sprinting to the ice cream truck, but that's just me :blushing:
  • CrystalT
    Options
    I would be sprinting to the ice cream truck, but that's just me :blushing:
    Me 2!! Thank heavens for Skinny Cow and Edi's light ice cream!!! I still get to have my ice cream as long as I have 100-150 calories to spare.
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'd stay away from the fried twinkies!! and the fried Snickers. And the fried pickles. Do they have fried baked potatoes yet? If so, stay away from those too!

Have fun!!
  • jigs
    jigs Posts: 70
    Options
    At the fair, I like food on a stick so I'd have a corn dog or more likely, a caramel or candied apple. Mmm mmm.

Log the potato and what you think you'll top it with. See how many calories. 600 or less and you'll still lose weight. You'll probably walk alot at the fair too.
  • GreenEyedMonster
    Options
    First of, if it was ME..I would probably only eat amybe 400 of the cals u burned...if u want to loose and not maintain
    I don't think one baked potatoe is going to hurt...I say enjoy just keep the rest of the dat clean/healthy...low carbs

Kim

Just have to keep in mind if you already have your calories set to lose you want to make sure you hit that number and not too far below.
  • christahollis
    Options
    I'd stay away from the fried twinkies!! and the fried Snickers. And the fried pickles. Do they have fried baked potatoes yet? If so, stay away from those too!

Have fun!!

Aren't they called 'french fries'?:wink:
  • christyodom2
    christyodom2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Okay now I so confused. I asked yesterday and everyone pretty much told me that I was supposed to eat my extra calories from exercise. I want to lose weight not maintain it. What do I do???
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Kim

Eating all of your exercise calories won't make you maintain your weight. If you have enough calories, I say go for it. Just go easy on the toppings like bacon and sour cream and such.
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    WooHoo!!!! baked potato it is....I will ask for a little cheese and broccoli.....

Another question:...When you have a deficit like that should you aim for a healthier choice or is it ok to have a treat every once in a while?:happy:
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Ok, so maybe I am misunderstanding, but you have NET calorie goals. Meaning the calories you need to maintain your weekly weight-loss goals have already been subtracted for you. So you should be eating to your goal number.

If you burned an extra 600 calories from exercise (and CONGRATS... that is some hard work) then you should be attempting to consume those extra 600 calories to get your NET satisfied. A baked potato isn't bad for you as long as you skip the butter and cheese. Maybe just have the green onions on top or a little bit of cheese, no sour cream.

Am I misunderstanding how this system works on this site? If so, uh oh!! :)

Example

My daily goal (net) is 1500 (let's say). That means to lose a pound a week, I need to eat 1500 calories a day. Because of my level of activity, I burn over 2,000 calories a day just being me. So that gives you an automatic 500 calorie defecit.

YOU burned 600 calories above and beyond your net. That would mean you get a total of 2100 calories for the day to eat while still staying within the weight loss range. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm totally new to this!
  • CrystalT
    Options
    Okay now I so confused. I asked yesterday and everyone pretty much told me that I was supposed to eat my extra calories from exercise. I want to lose weight not maintain it. What do I do???

It's different for everyone. Some people need eat the calories, others don't, some only part of them. Just see what works for you. One week, eat them all. The next week, don't. See what works for your body. No one else can tell you that.
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    WooHoo!!!! baked potato it is....I will ask for a little cheese and broccoli.....

Another question:...When you have a deficit like that should you aim for a healthier choice or is it ok to have a treat every once in a while?:happy:

On the whole, you should be eating healthier because this is a lifestyle change that you are adapting to. But if you don't allow yourself treats now and again, you'll crack and quit altogether. For example, I ate healthy all day yesterday, but I had calories left over last night so I had one reeses peanut butter cup. That's not to say that I have something like that every single day, but if I really want it and can afford it, I'll have it.
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options

The general rule is yes, you should eat your exercise calories, but everyone is different so there are a lot of opinions here. But math-wise, you're already eating less calories than you did before by the calorie deficit that MFP does for you. So if you burn more calories on top of that then you run the risk of not eating enough. If you've been eating them all and it's working for you, then don't change it.
  • Shelley130
    Shelley130 Posts: 142
    Options
    Not trying to be negative.... but I don't think 20 min of walking at the fair and 30 min on the eliptical equal 600 calories burned. The number that the machine tells you is always over by as much as 30% or more!! I would not be eating calories unless I was for sure I actually burned them. Do you have a HRM to verify those totals?
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    No. But this is what MFP tells me when I log them.
  • GreenEyedMonster
    Options
    Not trying to be negative.... but I don't think 20 min of walking at the fair and 30 min on the eliptical equal 600 calories burned. The number that the machine tells you is always over by as much as 30% or more!! I would not be eating calories unless I was for sure I actually burned them. Do you have a HRM to verify those totals?

Could screw yourself by not eating too by going deficient.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself. :smile: