Eating exercise cals.....

Options
At the moment my cals are set to 1500 and I eat back exercise cals which normally takes me to 2100 on exercise days.

The problem I am having is going back to just 1500 on non exercise days, and I don't want to increase it as then on exercise days it becomes too much. I find myself binging on the 1500 day sand ending up eating over 2500.

So I was thinking of just sticking my cals at 1800 and only adding exercise times, not the cals.....

I normally do cardio/running about 6 times a week and a Jillian dvd about 4/5 times. I don't have a HRM so also wonder that I'm over calculating the cals.

Just wondering if anyone has one set amount they eat, regardless of when/how much they exercise??

Replies

• FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    Why don't you check out the Eat More to Weigh Less group on here....sounds like you're on the right track anyway to be honest. Some really good advice on there.....:smile:
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    At the moment my cals are set to 1500 and I eat back exercise cals which normally takes me to 2100 on exercise days.

The problem I am having is going back to just 1500 on non exercise days, and I don't want to increase it as then on exercise days it becomes too much. I find myself binging on the 1500 day sand ending up eating over 2500.

So I was thinking of just sticking my cals at 1800 and only adding exercise times, not the cals.....

I normally do cardio/running about 6 times a week and a Jillian dvd about 4/5 times. I don't have a HRM so also wonder that I'm over calculating the cals.

Just wondering if anyone has one set amount they eat, regardless of when/how much they exercise??

I think that sounds like a good idea. I lost around 20lbs whilst not eating back most of my exercise calories, and it is easy to over/underestimate different things. Eat in a way you know you can maintain to prevent being too hungry or needing to binge :)
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply ladies :)

I've had a look at the EatMore group and looked into the TDEE and BMR cals and the 1800 ties in well to my TDEE minus 15% so shall see how it goes for a few weeks.

:)
  • superrjo
    superrjo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I eat them back if I'm hungry, if I'm not, I dont force myself just to make up the numbers. But, i have no idea if what I'm doing is right, but ive lost 29lbs so it's working for me !
  • Erika1962
    Erika1962 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't eat them back, I am probably doing it all wrong :tongue:
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i think that there is nothing wrong with eating back your exercise kcals, its different for everyone. if 1500 is what mfp has set as weight loss kcals then eat back those exercise kcals! if you dont you are going to be at too great a deficit! you dont want to end up destroying your metabolism.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

Well some don't and some have to. It works for you but for some; yes it is important to eat back exercise calories. No one way is right or wrong.

OP: I think you have a good plan set there. Try it out for a couple of weeks to see how it works!

Edit: OP isn't asking if she SHOULD eat back her exercise calories! She's having trouble with her non-exercise days.
  • Michelle650
    Michelle650 Posts: 218
    Options
    If you exercise a lot, why don't you eat your maintainance calories, so then when you workout you don't have to eat your calories back as you have not made a deficit before doing your exercise?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I workout 7 days a week, now my 7th day is usual a nature hike through one of our parks and it is self paced and really just to enjoy the outdoors. So the 6 days I am working out and doing my normal weekly routine (Strength training 4 days a week and cardio 6 days a week) I eat 3000-3200 calories a day this still leaves me with a 250 calorie deficit to lose 1/2 lb. a week ( I am working on that last 15 lbs. now so it is coming off slowly) on that 7th day (or my non-workout day) I am still burning some calories but this day is my cheat day / refeed day (whatever you want to call it) I normally have a big breakfast and a light lunch (protein bar/shake) and then a cheat meal for supper (whatever I want always with a big dessert, love peanut butter cup blizzards with chocolate soft serve) I don't track my calories that closely on my one off day. I know what my breakfast and lunch is but I ball park my supper and normally we go to the movies so I have popcorn and a pop. This is really all a work in progress, you have to find what works best for you... I am not a everything in moderation kind of guy, I never got to 560 lbs. by eating just one cookie or a handful of doritoes, so my once a week cheat meal gives me something to look forward too and the rest of the week I eat pretty healthy and clean.. Best of Luck....
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I eat them back if I'm hungry, if I'm not, I dont force myself just to make up the numbers.
    This.
  • Mrs_Sheila
    Mrs_Sheila Posts: 39
    Options
    I eat them back if I'm hungry, if I'm not, I dont force myself just to make up the numbers. But, i have no idea if what I'm doing is right, but ive lost 29lbs so it's working for me !

I completely agree! There are days where I work out and find myself STARVING all day. I eat when my tummy growls and often have 1/2 a portion of something. Doing this, sometimes i am eating every couple of hours sometimes i am not. I have also found that the day AFTER a hard workout, is a very hungry day. I don't fight the body when it is calling for more~ through growling not mind games. :) When head hunger calls ~ I simply don't answer.
  • Erika1962
    Erika1962 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Well some don't and some have to. It works for you but for some; yes it is important to eat back exercise calories. No one way is right or wrong.

OP: I think you have a good plan set there. Try it out for a couple of weeks to see how it works!

Edit: OP isn't asking if she SHOULD eat back her exercise calories! She's having trouble with her non-exercise days.

Exactly my point, every person is different, what works for one does not have to work for the other one