ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    This thread is cute.
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Anyone know how to delete a thread?????

You can't.

Word of advice: don't start a thread if you're not prepared for the backlash. MFP forums are great in general but people aren't terribly polite
  • ednawhatnot
    ednawhatnot Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think it depends what your normal daily routine is.
    For me, the odd bit of dusting, washing up etc doesn't get logged but if it's raining outside and I opt to spend time changing the beds, climbing ladders to rehang curtains, rearranging furniture, clearing out cupboards etc instead of going for a walk, I'm going to log it as cleaning.
    Same with cooking - I wouldn't log the amount I spend cooking on an average day but occasionally I get asked to help friends out with food for functions, which can involve being on my feet all day and clocking up hundreds of short journeys across the kitchen. It's not somethiing I do as part of my normal routine so that woud go on there.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Depends, on your size and fitness level. If you are sedentary and morbidly obese or you have health issues even simple everyday tasks can be exhausting. Climbing the stairs can leave people sweating and gasping for breath so anything they do extra to what they were doing before is fair logging in my opinion. As they get fitter and do these things on a daily basis they will drop them off as excersise and log other things.

Everyones journey is different and I think we should just support anyone who is making any changes to get fitter/healthier. After all isn't that what this site is about ?
  • MouseFood
    MouseFood Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The calories for walking are pretty accurate.
  • stephl21uk
    stephl21uk Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have people on my friends that log everything!! I'm surprised the don't log walking to the loo!! Then eat the cals back or most of them and wonder why they are stuck in a plateau, I agree with walking being too much cals unless I get in to a sweat I don't log it! I try to walk to my sons school 3miles away on an afternoon, majority of it is up hill and I push my 2yr old in a pram so I log that but I don't log the 20mins of walking I do taking to school on buses on a morning as I walk slow!! People log walking round a supermarket for 2 hrs as exercise!! Why!!! It's not as if you're rushing around walking as fast as you can! Ur walking slowly loOking at all the food and probably spend more time stood looking at food instead of walking!! I personally log cleaning because I clean all my floors by hand and do so on a daily basis but I only log around 20-40 mind of light cleaning and I do not eat those cals back !! To me It just looks as tho people cheat extra cals for them self so they don't have to earn them Properly. People also just take MFP word on what they should be eating as correct for example: MFP says you should eat 105 carbs a day and 40g of fat you log 2hrs of walking round a supermarket and 1hr of cleaning so MFP ups your carbs to 210g and fat 75g and the people eat them or close to it but are you honestly burning it off ARE YOU HELL and people congratulate them for it????? I'm not purfect and I don't know 'everything' and people would have a tight winge about my diary being unhealthy (especially this week! Quite a few binges) but it really annoys the hell our of me......rant over :0)
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Try telling my partner that 'food preparation' doesn't burn significant calories...He works 9 hours a day in a busy kitchen, he's lost 30lbs since he started working even eating crap for the most part.

I'm a hairdresser, people would say logging my job is irrelevant but I'm on my feet 10 hours a day being very busy.

Neither of us log as we're set to an active lifestyle but I can see why people who live a sedentary lifestyle might log. It doesn't seem like hard work to you but if you weigh 300lbs+ (for example) being on your feet for 20 - 30 minutes would burn significantly more calories than you or I.
  • kayx199189
    kayx199189 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have friends that log things like food prep and there doing really well in their diets and are nearly at there goal, so I guess it doesnt go for everyone, after all diet is the main factor while dieting so aslong as someones eating clean a few cals in food prep doesnt really matter
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add: No excercise is "Silly"
  • kayx199189
    kayx199189 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add: No excercise is "Silly"

Thats my problem with this post I know everyones entitled to there opinion but theres a way to put things
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I have people on my friends that log everything!! I'm surprised the don't log walking to the loo!! Then eat the cals back or most of them and wonder why they are stuck in a plateau, I agree with walking being too much cals unless I get in to a sweat I don't log it! I try to walk to my sons school 3miles away on an afternoon, majority of it is up hill and I push my 2yr old in a pram so I log that but I don't log the 20mins of walking I do taking to school on buses on a morning as I walk slow!! People log walking round a supermarket for 2 hrs as exercise!! Why!!! It's not as if you're rushing around walking as fast as you can! Ur walking slowly loOking at all the food and probably spend more time stood looking at food instead of walking!! I personally log cleaning because I clean all my floors by hand and do so on a daily basis but I only log around 20-40 mind of light cleaning and I do not eat those cals back !! To me It just looks as tho people cheat extra cals for them self so they don't have to earn them Properly. People also just take MFP word on what they should be eating as correct for example: MFP says you should eat 105 carbs a day and 40g of fat you log 2hrs of walking round a supermarket and 1hr of cleaning so MFP ups your carbs to 210g and fat 75g and the people eat them or close to it but are you honestly burning it off ARE YOU HELL and people congratulate them for it????? I'm not purfect and I don't know 'everything' and people would have a tight winge about my diary being unhealthy (especially this week! Quite a few binges) but it really annoys the hell our of me......rant over :0)

WELL SAID.
  • FungusTrooper
    FungusTrooper Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Jogging 20 minutes to work each day isn't an exercise, right?? I do that everyday, therefore everyone must, so it doesn't count, right??
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It's like a lot of things - I wouldn't do it personally but if it works for someone else, who am I to question it? I tried counting the calories burned worrying about questionable things other people do but it just didn't add up to enough to be worthwhile.
  • letsgetskinny88
    Options
    this is funny lol.

burnt '560 calories preparing food'........i usually have to run for 1.5 hrs for that. no fair.