Maintenance Reset

Options
How long is it 'normal' to be on a reset? I've been eating at TDEE for a week and yes, I know I have issues considering I'm already itchy about it, so I recognise that fact. I'd like any results other people have had regarding resets including their time frames, weight wobbles, and handling insecurities - anything basically! Thanks in advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenmfpal
    jenmfpal Posts: 124
    Options
    Good question, it took me THREE frustrating weeks! Hang in there!
  • jenmfpal
    jenmfpal Posts: 124
    Options
    You are doing great kayl3igh88! I'm so proud of you! Stick with it!
  • swingkid1975
    swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The Eat More to Weigh Less group recommends a reset of 6-8 weeks.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Possibly sounding really stupid but...what is Maintenance Reset?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I did it for two weeks, I gained on the first and went back to my starting weight on the second before switching to 0.5lbs a week loss and starting to lose again.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    A period of time (usually a week to a month) on maintenance calories to get over a plateau :flowerforyou:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    How long is it 'normal' to be on a reset? I've been eating at TDEE for a week and yes, I know I have issues considering I'm already itchy about it, so I recognise that fact. I'd like any results other people have had regarding resets including their time frames, weight wobbles, and handling insecurities - anything basically! Thanks in advance :flowerforyou:

Not sure what you mean about maintenance reset. What is it you are trying to achieve, maintenance, staying the same for a while or you want to lose weight?

If you eat at TDEE you will stay the same weight, because your calories in are the same as your calories going out - but I am figuring you already know this, I am a tad confused as what you are doing. :flowerforyou:
  • kayl3igh88
    Options

Not sure what you mean about maintenance reset. What is it you are trying to achieve, maintenance, staying the same for a while or you want to lose weight?

If you eat at TDEE you will stay the same weight, because your calories in are the same as your calories going out - but I am figuring you already know this, I am a tad confused as what you are doing. :flowerforyou:

By 'maintenance reset' I meant eating at maintenance to reset my metabolism, I'm sorry I wasn't very clear :embarassed:
  • kayl3igh88
    Options
    You are doing great kayl3igh88! I'm so proud of you! Stick with it!

Thank you so much! :flowerforyou:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

By 'maintenance reset' I meant eating at maintenance to reset my metabolism, I'm sorry I wasn't very clear :embarassed:

Ahh okies. No you were fine, I had just never heard of that term before lol.

Wish I could help, but I don't know anything about resetting metabolisms - when losing weight myself, I had to stick to my daily allowance throughout (1200), the weightloss slowed down but it never plateaued.

I hope you find a solution.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    A period of time (usually a week to a month) on maintenance calories to get over a plateau :flowerforyou:

AWW, I see. Eat more to trick your body.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I did it for 3 weeks. I have seen up to 8 weeks for those that under ate for a long time.

One of the best thing I did. I went from 1400 calories to 2000. Then lowered to 1700 and since then started losing again
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is optimal but for leptin reset it only takes a few days.
    Go 2 weeks and if you dont gain any weight you are doing it right!
  • cmurray234
    cmurray234 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I read an article (can't remember where) in which the author (who was a scientist of some sort) recommended 2 weeks at maintenance every 3-4 months. I haven't tried this yet, but I plan to do it this summer just to see if it works.

I figure if I try it and it doesn't work, I'll have only lost 2 weeks, which is a complete non-issue for me in the grand scheme of things. And if it does work? YIPPEE! :)
  • YoYo1951
    YoYo1951 Posts: 370
    Options
    bump to come back to. I don't even know what maintence is, I have never gotten to where I want to go. What is TDEE?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    bump to come back to. I don't even know what maintence is, I have never gotten to where I want to go. What is TDEE?

Use Fat to Fit Radio.

Do the military body fat calc.
    Do the BMR tool.

In the BMR tool when entering the info, enter current weight as goal weight and it spits out a bunch of numbers at the bottom of the screen.
    90% of the people on this site should be using Light Activity.
    Thats about 1-3 workouts a week. (Even ppl who workout 3-5 should use this for cutting)
    So i'll do my numbers:

Age 37
    Male
    Height 66
    Current weight 135
    Goal weight 135
    Body fat% 12

Katch-McArdle Forumla
    The numbers above are fairly accurate, however they don't take into account your lean body mass. A more accurate formula that does take your lean body mass into account is the Katch-McArdle formula. Since many of us have scales that will tell us our current body fat, this formula may yield more accurate results. Based on the information you provided, body fat percentage of 12%, you have a lean body mass of 119 lbs., and your BMR is 1538 calories.

How Many Calories Should I Eat?
    Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1793
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2054 <----This is my TDEE.
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2316
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2577
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2839

The best way to lose weight IMO is taking 20% off this number, appx 1600 cals.
    I eat on average 1700-1800 daily.
    I lose 1/4-1/2lb a week in fat.
  • kayl3igh88
    Options
    thank you guys :flowerforyou: