quitting smoking

crystalscott0906
crystalscott0906 Posts: 40
edited September 20 in Motivation and Support
ok so i have been smoking for a little over 10 years ( i know its horrible & scary to think about when i finally say out loud) i have been wanting to quit but every time i try i cant seem to follow through with it. i am debating on the perscription that helps or possibly something else. i am trying to loose the weight but also be as healty as i can and quitting smoking definately falls into that category. does anyone have any suggestions? i am open to anything that might help at this point!

Replies

• I have tried quitting numerous times but keep going back. I was successful for several months with a prescription drug, Chantix. HOWEVER, after on the medication for a couple of months I became extremely depressed, almost suicidal. My emotions haven't been right since. I am now a smoker again (not proud of it), but emotionally sound.
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    I have no advice as I have never smoked but I want to wish you luck on your journey. I think it is great that you have made the first step to quit smoking and that is that you want to. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Hi. I just quit smoking three months ago... wow, almost four months ago now. I had smoked for twelve years when I decided to quit. My husband and I quit together. I used the patch for the first week but then forgot to apply it on the weekend so just went cold turkey.

I have had tremendous success. I sometimes slip up and have one when I'm drinking, but overall, I've dropped from a pack-a-day habit (600 a month) to maybe 3 a month, on average. And I'm even getting tired of cheating so I plan on phasing out "cheat sticks" altogether. Summer is tough... it will be easier in the cruel Northeast winter!

The first three days were the toughest. If you can use the patch to break the habit then the rest isn't so bad. It was much easier than I thought... I think the anxiety I built up about quitting was worse than actually quitting.

I did gain ten pounds over the first two months, but they are back off after counting calories and increasing exercise. Your metabolism does change, but an extra ten pounds is better than lung cancer. (Or so everyone tells me!)
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    I have tried quitting numerous times but keep going back. I was successful for several months with a prescription drug, Chantix. HOWEVER, after on the medication for a couple of months I became extremely depressed, almost suicidal. My emotions haven't been right since. I am now a smoker again (not proud of it), but emotionally sound.

Better to be emotionally sound and smoking. I would try another method. The patch worked wonders for me. :) One thing at a time.
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    we are all different
    i fond it easier to stay stopped smoking by going on the patch for a week or 2 until i wasnt going stir crazy and then going cold turkey
    when i am on patches i never felt i had quit & it felt like i was cheatin because i was stil gettin nicotine and so when i considered losing the patch i had to go thru it all again in pyscological sense
    so i took the patch off and got on with it
    and 48 hrs later it felt i could legitimately say to myself i had quit ..though i didnt rate the stomack cramps much..

when tempted i find a glass of cold water a distraction from wanting a cigarette as tea and coffee made me want one even more
    and i would channel the stress of my withdrawal into a few minutes exercise until the craving had passed
    the best thing anyone said to me was
    remember the cravin will only last 3/5 mins
    rememering that i know thats all i have to do its last those 3/5 mins until it passes
    and 3/5 mins of exercise to forget withdrawal is great for adressin the fact you could put on some weight because you have quit.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    i found this ticker on i think tickers.com???? and seeing has been helping me....i also chew gum instead of snacking and i'm still losing! i think it takes really wanting to, you have to be really ready. But I can feel the difference already! 43 days and 12 hours!
  • This is the deal..It is easier said than done..Once you realize that, everything will come easier. I did not start smoking until I was 25 now 29! I know completely stupid but I was going through a bad divorce..Still no excuse. I have tried everything prescription wise and it only frustrates me. I was doing good for weeks at a time but all my friends smoke and stress would kick in ect.

Surround yourself with people that do not smoke. Its mind over matter. I do not want to use anything but my will and believe me IT IS FREAKIN HARD..but my rewards are getting better. I do not smoke arounds kids, so Im constantly around my niece or my sisters. Another thing that is working now, is when Im driving, I smoke the most, so my mom gave me a pencil and said hold it, bite it (lol), tap it, when Im driving. I know it sounds crazy, but its working! Big red gum helps when Im stressin, so BUY TONS..lol..

You can totally do it. My mom smoke for 20 years and she is still going strong. Dont be hard on yourself if you slip up, WERE HUMAN, were make mistakes and were hardest on ourselves. Be proud your working towards a better you and it will get easier. Love your body and mind and PRAY! God is great....

YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • 21alpine
    21alpine Posts: 41
    My Dr. put me on the prescription Chantix. It worked great for me. There are some very strange side effects and some that are even dangerous so I would check with your Dr. to see which is right for you. Everyone is different and not every way will work. I tried many times in various ways to quit and Chantix was the only thing that worked for me.

What it does is blocks your pleasure receptors from the nicotine. You continue to smoke when you start the Chantix. Then after a week or so, you (or at least I) have no desire whatsoever to smoke. It becomes disgusting IMO. It is a two month regime, but I only took it for one month without reverting back to smoking. It was the crazy dreams that changed into murderous dreams that made me stop taking it. (Like I said, weird side effects). But be advised, some people have been know to attempt, and even succeed at suicide because one of the side effects can be severe depression and suicidal tendencies. But as long as you use the support system provided, most likely you will succeed.

I chose the Chantix because nothing else had worked for me. Now after a year, I'm so glad I did. I had smoked for more than 35 years (I was 8 years old when I started !!!!)

Just remember to discuss it with your Dr. Best of luck to you. :flowerforyou:

Janet
This discussion has been closed.