just started P90X!

Options
I just started P90X yesterday, and would love to find other people who have started recently or will be starting soon to support each other throughout the process! I've been on and off this site for the last few years, but am hoping to commit to both the P90X program and MFP during the next three months!

I'm also a little nervous that I might be doing some of the exercises wrong - I did the core synergistics video on Saturday (I was originally planning to do the P90X lean, but then switched to Classic) and felt it mostly in my hamstrings and butt the next day rather than my core. And then yesterday I did the Chest & Back video and today am feeling it a lot in my arms (and upper back, which I guess is good?) I was wondering if there were any P90X pros out there who could tell me if this is normal, and if not what I'm doing wrong!!!

Replies

• greggags2
    greggags2 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've done a couple of rounds of P90X. I remember I was sore the whole first week and then the soreness went away. At first I didn't have a recovery drink which was a mistake. I would recommend a recovery drink from a health food store or the P90X Results and Recovery drink because it seems to work very well for people. I also use Shakeology to get my body all the nutrients it needs and that also helps me not feel sore and improve my fitness. Good Luck with P90X!
  • blazingmissp
    blazingmissp Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I just finished day 44 of my first round, and I still get sore sometimes. Not as bad as the first weeks but just a little. It is normal to feel like all the muscles in your body are about to break. I did see that I felt it most in different muscles than what I worked but I figured that since you use them all to do the moves those were the weakest ones, and therefore we worked harder. Not sure if that is the right way of thinking, but I am seeing great progress so something is working.
  • wendyd1973
    wendyd1973 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just started the Classic as well yesterday so it looks like we are are neck n' neck! Today I am feeling it in my thighs (from holding my legs up while doing the Ab Ripper) and in my obliques. Not really feeling anything in my back or chest but the heaviest weights I have at home are 8lbs and I was using a resistance band for the pull-ups so I definitely need to up the weights. I would love to support each other! Looking forward to the Pylometrics tonight!

Wendy
  • Carajean9
    Carajean9 Posts: 4
    Options
    I just re-started today! I did it two summers ago and was in the best shape of my life...it really does work! I am doing the lean program since I am so horribly out of shape I dont think that I could jump right back into classic or doubles like I was doing before. Feel free to add me...I can use all the support and motivation I can get! Good luck to everyone
  • kmillers
    kmillers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I just finised my second consecutive round of Insanity and finished my first week of p90x today. I have few observations/questions?
    -Will the soreness go away? My legs are so sore, I can barely walk. I drink a protein shake after but WOW. They were never this sore with Insanity.
    -I like Plyo X but Kenpo was just not enough for me. I worked hard but my heart rate barely got up there. Maybe I am just used to workin so hard with Insanity but I did not feel like I got enough with this. Can I switch it for an Insanity workout or a Turbo Fire workout? I need to burn more calories plus I work out for my head as much as my body, do you know what I mean? And this didn't do it.
    -I am not burning a lot of calories, will I burn more as I get better or less? It seemed with Insanity, I burned more at the beginning and less as I became more fit.

Thanks for all yout help.
    Kasey
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am on my 3rd round of P90X (started fall 2011)....I experienced the same thing with the cardio part of P90X...not challenging enough. There are "HYBRID" worksheets for P90X & Insanity or P90X & Turbo Fire....this is what I have been using...much more of a challenge/workout/calorie burn for me.
    try this site and see if you find something that will work for you....
    http://www.beachbody.com/category/p90x-online/worksheets.do

As far as the soreness goes...keep on with it...the soreness goes away...but I remember the first time I went through it, I think I moaned each time I took a step or someone touched my arm!!!!! it is tempting to take a break...but don't because then you just have to start over!!
    good luck!
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I love this program. I have done two rounds of P90X, one round of Insanity and now I am in my second week of P90X2. As far as the soreness it will go away, try heat and ice to speed recovery. Even with a couple rounds of P90X when I started Insanity I was holding on to the walls in order to walk!!

Good luck
  • shinyshell55
    shinyshell55 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I am 10 weeks into my first round of P90X and I feel really great. The soreness will dissipate shortly and you will find yourself putting more into the program as the weeks go by and you get stronger. P90X is not a weight loss program or a big calorie burner. I still do 45-50 minutes daily on the Arc machine at my local gym. This is a great burner as well as cardio workout - something I refused to give up when I began P90X back in April. What I like about P90X is that you can modify the program until you can go full out. I use the bands for my pullups but next month when I start another round I will be graduating to the pullup bars. In the beginning I couldn't do a pullup if someone had a gun to my head. Now I am much stronger and better conditioned. Also my pushups are greatly improved. Tony Horton is not a big fan of cardio and it shows in the Cardio X video. Hence, IMO, P90X is to develop overall body strength and conditioning. I actually heard an interview where he said the program was not a weight loss program. So in a very long winded and roundabout way you might want to add some cardio over and above P90X. I love the program BTW!
  • wildlypurple
    wildlypurple Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just started P90X Classic yesterday as well. Today, my chest, back and abs are definitely sore. I feel a little soreness in my legs from the AB Ripper, but it's barely noticeable. I don't have the recovery drink and wasn't plannin on buying it, but after reading a few posts, and a fellow P90X friend's advice, I think I'm going to.

Can't wait for tonight. I may be sore, but I'm excited to say 88 more days! :smile:

Also, does anyone know if doing Insanity with P90X is truly insane? Haha. I need more cardio.
  • sassy0477
    sassy0477 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There is a P90X/Insanity Hybrid that is pretty good. You will definitely get results with both
  • Lizlicious2187
    Lizlicious2187 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 1 day 5 (legs and back, ab ripper) of the classic! I made it through 30 days about a year ago and I loved the results I started to see so now that I am down 30 lbs from that weight Im super excited to see if this will help me start toning up more. It's definitely normal to be sore in your arms and back for the chest and back though. Keep pressing play ya'll! :drinker:

Edit: I will say that I'm only doing the strength workouts and plyometrics as I reaaaallly hate yoga and kenpo just wasn't too much cardio for me so I'll be supplementing this with some HIIT training or running because I figure that will help me stick to it more. Do what works for you!
  • cmorga02
    cmorga02 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just started P90X tonight, actually finished about 30 minutes ago. I started it last year and quit, but I really need to get back into it. People say it's not a weight loss or calorie burning program, but it is a fat shredding one and that is what I need.

My soreness will be out done by the feeling that I am bettering myself. We can all do this!
  • Forthe4
    Forthe4 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I just finised my second consecutive round of Insanity and finished my first week of p90x today. I have few observations/questions?
    -Will the soreness go away? My legs are so sore, I can barely walk. I drink a protein shake after but WOW. They were never this sore with Insanity.
    -I like Plyo X but Kenpo was just not enough for me. I worked hard but my heart rate barely got up there. Maybe I am just used to workin so hard with Insanity but I did not feel like I got enough with this. Can I switch it for an Insanity workout or a Turbo Fire workout? I need to burn more calories plus I work out for my head as much as my body, do you know what I mean? And this didn't do it.
    -I am not burning a lot of calories, will I burn more as I get better or less? It seemed with Insanity, I burned more at the beginning and less as I became more fit.

Thanks for all yout help.
    Kasey

I found Kenpo to be a little lacking at first too. I ended up holding 3lb dumbells in each hand when doing the punch cycles and it made the workout much more to my liking. I've also found that as I've become more flexible from doing the yoga, the kicks from Kenpo have become more effective as well.
  • jaimelb94
    jaimelb94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am on day 10 of the P90X Lean version which is more cardio. Need to drop about 15 pounds, definatly feel the results in my muscles but not dropping any pounds yet. Trying to stay motivated, I get frustrated easy when I don't see the scale move though.
  • mcmaverick
    Options
    I just completed day 3 of P90X. From everything I read the most important thing is your nutrition. For those beginners out there like me I highly recommend Coach Wayne Wyatt's website Teamripped.com. It has tons of helpful information and videos. He recommends not using MFP to log your exercises since MFP then adds those calries back in. Just use MFP for logging your nutrition. Anyone interested in supporting each other through this adventure send me a friend request.
  • Skinny_Bella
    Skinny_Bella Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm starting it tonight(Lean). My plan is to do P90X in the early morning, and the 30 Day Shred at night. I know it's going to be hard, but I'm determined to finish this!! :)
    Wish me luck!
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    bump== I ordered both P90x and Chalean extreme-- please feel welcome to let me know your thoughts on either!