HOLY CALORIES BATMAN!!!

Options
I just learned something today and I thought I'd share with anyone who didn't know. Presumably I'm the only one but maybe just maybe ther's one or two more.

I'll make a long story short and just say that I wound up walking to day for an hour and half.
I decided to log this as exercis and when I finished TADA!!!! "You have just earned 624 more calories for the day!!!! HOLY COW!!! I had no idea! I had 1500 calories left at dinner! Good grief!

Any other first time exercisers out there? Or maybe people thinking about starting but haven't yet?

Replies

• NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I just learned something today and I thought I'd share with anyone who didn't know. Presumably I'm the only one but maybe just maybe ther's one or two more.

I'll make a long story short and just say that I wound up walking to day for an hour and half.
    I decided to log this as exercis and when I finished TADA!!!! "You have just earned 624 more calories for the day!!!! HOLY COW!!! I had no idea! I had 1500 calories left at dinner! Good grief!

Any other first time exercisers out there? Or maybe people thinking about starting but haven't yet?
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    lol, not a first time exerciser but I can tell you there are days when I'm really glad to have the extra calories to eat!

Way to get up and get moving!:flowerforyou:
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    holy cats!! I walk an hour or longer (when it's warm) everyday and it says I only burn about 300 calories... hmmmmm... oh well! That's encouraging~
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    That's a great feeling!! I'm not a first timer, but since I got my Polar HR watch that monitors calories, I am amazed at how much I burn! In 2 hrs of lifting/abs/cardio, 904 calories not counting my BMR! I eat a lot more now hehe :bigsmile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Yay! Great that you are moving! Did you notice that walking is broken down into miles per hour (mph) in order to figure calories burned?

For instance: you will see in exercise that calories burned in one hour change depending on your pace and your weight..

EXAMPLE - 60 MINUTES
    Walking - Leisurely pace of 2.5 mph......................... = 227
    Walking - Walking dog moderate pace of 3.0 mph = 250
    Walking - Brisk pace of 3.5 mph................................ = 288
    Walking - Very brisk pace 4.0 mph............................ = 379

A $30 pedometer is a great investment to get a more accurate calories-burned count. And adding hills or carrying a backpack with weight (or both) will help you burn even more calories!

There are many websites to reference for calories burned if you can't find it in MFP.

I really like this one:

http://www.fatburn.com/free_tool_activity_burn.asp

http://calorielab.com/burned

http://www.weightlossresource.com/tools/exercise/calculator1_2.cfm

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/701-pedometer-and-logging-the-exercise?page=1#posts-2824

Go go go! :glasses:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    That's a great feeling!! I'm not a first timer, but since I got my Polar HR watch that monitors calories, I am amazed at how much I burn! In 2 hrs of lifting/abs/cardio, 904 calories not counting my BMR! I eat a lot more now hehe :bigsmile:

But that is due to your fitness level, and age and weight, right? Not everyone can reach that level of fitness, and we would never be able to burn 904 calories unless we were at your fitness level, and able to keep our heart rate down like you can due to your conditioning.....or ....help me out, here songbyrd....:tongue:

I'd hate to have all the members think they can lift weights in a leisurely or occasional workout and burn 904 calories - or - if that is possible, I'm done with ellipticals, and hitting the weights instead!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

But that is due to your fitness level, and age and weight, right? Not everyone can reach that level of fitness, and we would never be able to burn 904 calories unless we were at your fitness level, and able to keep our heart rate down like you can due to your conditioning.....or ....help me out, here songbyrd....:tongue:

I'd hate to have all the members think they can lift weights in a leisurely or occasional workout and burn 904 calories - or - if that is possible, I'm done with ellipticals, and hitting the weights instead!

Oh you're absolutely right! I'm sorry, I should've added a disclaimer. My routine is very complex and I'd nver recommend it to someone with any less than a year's worth of organized training under their belt. I have been lifting for about 3 years now, and I lift for 60-90 minutes before hitting the elliptical and abs for 30-45 minutes. I am trying to reach extremely low BF% for a female to maintain, so that's what I need.

You guys can still burn a lot of calories, I didn't mean to mislead anyone. I just got excited :drinker:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Songbyrd,

Well, heck yeah! I'm excited FOR you! I'm seriously thinking I need a PolarF11.

The one on Amazon is $159 (with the little rubber chest strap) for the girlie ones (pink or blue).

cheryl
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Songbyrd,

Well, heck yeah! I'm excited FOR you! I'm seriously thinking I need a PolarF11.

The one on Amazon is $159 (with the little rubber chest strap) for the girlie ones (pink or blue).

cheryl

Thanks! Yup, that's what I got. Same price too. I got the blue one.
    Last night it reviewed my workouts, and since I met all my goals, it 'congratulated' me this morning by saying 100%! and a little trophy has been on the watch face all day hehe :bigsmile:
  • alaskagal
    Options
    I am in no where near the condition that songbyrdsweet is, plus I'm a lot older but even an ol' newbie like my poor self managed to burn 613 calories with an hour of cardio and an hour of weight lifting.

For folks who don't exercise I don't know how they survive on just the allotted calories. I'd ALWAYS be hungry!!

Exercise definitely makes this process easier.

:flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I am in no where near the condition that songbyrdsweet is, plus I'm a lot older but even an ol' newbie like my poor self managed to burn 613 calories with an hour of cardio and an hour of weight lifting.

For folks who don't exercise I don't know how they survive on just the allotted calories. I'd ALWAYS be hungry!!

Yea that's the other reason I do a lot. I love to eat!! :laugh:
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options

Great job Alaska!

There is nothing better than being able to eat a little more, or eat something "sinful", after a great workout!! I went on a 2 hr cross country ski this afternoon in the amazingly warm sun and burned around 1000 cals. Fun AND healthy, and a needed dose of Vit D sunshine! :happy:
  • erin1205
    Options

Alaskagal-I totally hear you on that! I exercise six days a week and on my "off" day I walk the dog as exercise. Not because I love exercise, but because I love earning the extra calories to eat!!! :bigsmile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Alaskagal-I totally hear you on that! I exercise six days a week and on my "off" day I walk the dog as exercise. Not because I love exercise, but because I love earning the extra calories to eat!!! :bigsmile:

I wish I had a puppy to walk/jog with! :frown: Can't have pets here. I clean on my off day to burn more cals...it's surprising what you burn in an hour of housecleaning!
  • cmriverside
    Options

I wish I had a puppy to walk/jog with! :frown: Can't have pets here. I clean on my off day to burn more cals...it's surprising what you burn in an hour of housecleaning!

LOL, Yeah, if you are as fit as you are - housecleaning probably kills 900-million calories!

I was looking at the blue Polar, too. I don't have anything pink to wear it with :glasses: got to look good, ya know.....
  • alaskagal
    Options
    Thanks guys! Oddly enough when I started exercising I hated it too but now I'm actually starting to enjoy it. I definitely feel SO much better. Can't wait for there to be sunshine and decent temperatures here. I'll be hiking this year!!!

:glasses:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

LOL, Yeah, if you are as fit as you are - housecleaning probably kills 900-million calories!

I was looking at the blue Polar, too. I don't have anything pink to wear it with :glasses: got to look good, ya know.....

Haha I don't have anything pink either. :) I wear all black/white/red to the gym, so the blue looks pretty good, plus I can wear it throughout the day. You might want to try that out on a non-workout day to see what your baseline calories are; they'll generally be quite a bit higher than your bmr. My bmr is only 1265 but I burn 1600-1700 from walking on campus and stuff.

Ironically, the more fit you are, the *less* calories you burn doing the same things! Very basically, as you become more adapted, your body makes it easier to create action in your muscles. You'd actually burn more calories than I do if we did the same workout. That's why mine have to be so challenging, my body takes it like old hat!
  • cmriverside
    Options

Haha I don't have anything pink either. :) I wear all black/white/red to the gym, so the blue looks pretty good, plus I can wear it throughout the day. You might want to try that out on a non-workout day to see what your baseline calories are; they'll generally be quite a bit higher than your bmr. My bmr is only 1265 but I burn 1600-1700 from walking on campus and stuff.

Ironically, the more fit you are, the *less* calories you burn doing the same things! Very basically, as you become more adapted, your body makes it easier to create action in your muscles. You'd actually burn more calories than I do if we did the same workout. That's why mine have to be so challenging, my body takes it like old hat!

But I bet you don't stop cleaning until your house is clean :laugh: I do one room and say "Good enough."

It is interesting that the more exercise I do, the more I want to do. The body craves it. I did notice already that the less I weigh, the harder it is to burn those calories (or, the more effort it takes).
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Thanks! Yup, that's what I got. Same price too. I got the blue one.
    Last night it reviewed my workouts, and since I met all my goals, it 'congratulated' me this morning by saying 100%! and a little trophy has been on the watch face all day hehe :bigsmile:
    [/quote]

Ok, now that is just plain COOL.
    :drinker:
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Uh, of course, in my last post it was supposed to "quote" songbyrdsweet. Ah, well. Must mean it's time for me to go to bed.

But seriously, what a cool feature.
    I want a watch that says, "Good job, Mel - now you *deserve* that milkshake!" or something.