Had a gastric bypass? Help.

adopt4
adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok so this is not for me but for hubby... he seriously wants a gastric bypass. I'm very against it. So I was hoping people who have BTDT can help.

One of the reasons I'm against it is I've seen with eating healthy and exercise that I've lost 70 pounds so far, and have about 60 to go. It was mostly about knowledge of food, and learning what I was doing wrong. We just ate really unhealthy. He joined the gym with me, but never goes. He eats the same stuff I do, but isn't losing weight (I think he's cheating, in fact, I know he is).

He seems to think that gastric bypass will solve his problems. But from what I've seen and my research, if you don't strictly adhere to the diet and exercise regime, you'll fail. I've seen it in several people. If he fails with it, that's a serious surgery and it worries me about long term implications on his health. If he doesn't adhere to the "1 pound a week" eating less and 3x/30 min per week cardio of some kind, wont' log his own food... well, if he's not even committed to this, then how could he possibly be successful when he'll have a very strict diet regime later?

Maybe I"m misinformed. Like I said, this is just from what I've read and seen on tv. I"m not in any way judging people who have had it or are thinking of it - and don't tell me "he doesn't need it" unless you've had the surgery and have actual experience, because I already think he can do it another way - I'm only looking at him specifically and his lifestyle and thinking he won't be successful based on what we've been doing the past six months or so of trying to eat better and exercise.

He has about 125 pounds to lose. I had 132 and am halfway there, beyond my wildest expectations that just changing my eating habits, learning about metabolism, etc. could work.

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    People think that Gastric Bypass Surgery is the easy way out...............

It is not. If he can't be committed to adhering to a strict diet (which they will make him try to lose weight with a traditional plan first) when he goes to consulting and counselling.

I thought I wanted to do either lap band or Gastric Bypass. They told me I had to try to lose 10% of my weight first and see how long it took to see if I was metabolically resistant.

Being diabetic, I can't do low fat and low calorie without gaining more weight and I had already did Atkins successfully so I did it again and was told I could lose the weight on my own...........

Just so he knows, if he has weight loss surgery he will HAVE to adhere to a low carb diet for life. He won't be able to eat very much at one time without throwing up and getting sick. He runs the risk of getting malnourished because the caloric intake is so low..............

There are a lot of risks to the surgery..............

Why doesn't he try a lower carb plan such as Atkins, south beach, sugar busters, protein power, etc.......Carbohydrates Addicts is a good plan because you eat low carb for breakfast and lunch and then supper you can eat whatever you want, but you have an hour to eat. So, it allows for strictness during the day, but the evening meal he can have whatever he wants and can eat as much as he likes as long as he doesn't go over that hour.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Based on what Lioness said above, maybe you just need to go to an initial consult with him so he can be informed he will be placed on food restrictions either way. Could be he doesn't understand and just thinks it's a magic fix-all surgery.
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    I agree
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Maybe you could insist on going with him to two doctors. One that does Gastric Bypass surgery - another that far prefers the methods that you are using. If he hears the facts from both Doctors perhaps he can make a more educated decision.

I've never seen the surgery work long term, and I've got 1 friend and know 2 others that did it. :( they never learned to live a healthy lifestyle :(
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    A facebook friend had the surgery, and after losing a bunch of weight, she is now dealing with hair breakage, which she was told was one of the side affects.

It sounds like it really messes you up. It doesn't sound like you can eat a well balanced diet.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    My friend is getting the lap band next Wed.
    She had to go thru a mess before she got approved.
    You MUST show that you are trying to lose weight on your own,
    She had to show a 6 month food diary to show what you are eating and you must show an exercise diary too. They just dont do these surgeries at your will.
    For 2 weeks you have to drink a shake to replace your breakfast and lunch and eat a sensible dinner. Patients usually drop a lot of weight during this period.
    So let your husband know that they require you to try on your own to lose weight first, and it can happen, yes everyone wants the east way out and I do wish losing weight was as fun as it is to gain it!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    i know 4 people who have had it done off the top of my head. what they went thru was awful. each one of them would eat a few bites of something specifically recommended by the docs, drink less than an ounce of water, and go throw it all up.

each one has had medical complications since the surgery. each one has to restrict their diet so much that i know one of them completely gave up on it.

the one who lost a lot of weight has been in and out of the hospital - all related to the way her body changed after the surgery.

sorry, i have not had it done but only 2 out of the 4 people lost SOME weight, 1 out of the 4 has gained weight, and #4 is sick as a dog. all the time.
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    My aunt had gastric bypass. You are better off learning how to eat. Especially men - they burn so many more calories than us! Tell him to seriously try for a month - if he doesn't lose 3 pounds at least then there's something wrong!
  • jdejre_k
    jdejre_k Posts: 54
    I did not have Gastric Bypass, but my Mother did.

*Disclaimer* My mother had a stomach stapling done in the 80s, when the surgery was just introduced to the public. In fact, my Mother was the 2nd person in our area to get it done. The surgery procedure is different now, but I thought I would share her experience....

My Mother was over 300 pounds and claimed that she had tried every diet and could not lose weight (although her idea of a diet was eating Doritos and Pepsi at every meal.... but, I digress)

Even with numerous consultations in which she was told about the risks of not adhering to a healthy diet, my Mother never learned the healthy way to eat. She continued with her poor diet, but was forced to eat smaller portions of the bad foods. She mistakenly thought that by restricting the amount she could eat at one time was getting carte blanche to eat anything. She said that if she could only eat 1oz of food, it better be something that she liked.... :noway:

She lost some weight initially, but eventually ate so much that it re-stretched her stomach. The surgery also made it so she did not absorb vitamins, so she became very sick and had to be hospitalized for vitamin deficiency.

In all, the surgery was a failure. She is still overweight 25 years later and now has horrible stomach discomforts and gastro issues resulting from the surgery. She also still has vitamin deficiencies, even with a very expensive vitamin supplement that she takes.

I know that the surgery is different now, but thought that I would share...
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    ""Hi Doc,,,

I have the attention span of a goldfish and the self control of a 4 year old. I simply cannot stop shoving crap in my mouth.

Please perform a dangerous, invasive surgery on me to make me physically incapable of shoving too much crap in my mouth. Alter my stomach or break my elbows - your call.

Thanks,,,:bigsmile: ""

Good luck, men are hardheaded (and I oughtta know).
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    the problem with going to a consult is that some doctors are more ethical than others. my neice had the surgery and she was not required to lose weight ahead of time, she was obese but not in a life threatening situation and she was only 19 years old. she had horrible eating habits and didn't exercise. they didn't make her change her habits ahead of time. she had to see a counselor a few times before surgery - that was it. we were scared to death that the surgery would kill her and I'm still concerned that there will be long term complications due to her age. she is doing ok and has lost weight and kept it off but she did not learn to change her habits. I'd say with no excersise and bad eating habits one day she may be right back where she started. I hope that doesn't happen. so if you go to a consult you may end up with a doctor that just agrees with the patient. not good. before my neice had surgery I did some research on the internet about side effects, complications, etc. that really suprised and scared me out of EVER wanting to have it for myself. You might want to do some research, print it out and get him to read it with you & talk about it together.
  • cherie2304
    cherie2304 Posts: 632 Member
    I have a friend who had the surgery and from experience she also had to see a councelor and as far as I know she hasn't had any issues. Although she hasn't seemed to learn how to eat. She would still order the same amount of food when we would go out and then have to throw it up because she had stomach pains. I feel that its a risky surgery. You have to be careful in that if your food habits stay the same it can hinder your progress after the surgery.
  • 3 stories:

Best friend's mom: overweight, refused to exercise because "she couldn't" due to "medical problems" & ate crap all day every day. She tried atkins & failed-probably didn't do it right. decided on GB. Doc said she idn't weigh enough-not morbidly obese- so she actually decided to gain weight to qualify. She then was pissed to find out she then had to lose some weight to qualify-you have to show that you are making an effort to do it the natural way first. Took her a really long time to lose enough to qualify. Needless to say she had major complications & ended with up 2 post-surgery hospitalizations as a result--she almost died. She did lose lots of weight, but is almost too thin now because she only eats small portions of crap food & doesn't get the nutrients she needs from what she eats.

Old co-worker with PCOS: she had tried diet & exercise for years w/ no success first. She took the whole thing very seriously, has lost lots of weight & exercises very regularly--she loves to dance so she takes loads of dance classes.

Friend's little brother: had lap band @18 b/c he was morbidly obese. He continued to eat soo much that his stomach stretched back out- he can eat an entire restaurant-sized dinner & then finish another person's meal in1 sitting. He is just as big if not bigger than he was 5 yrs ago when he had the surgery & continues to eat the same & exercise very rarely.

Moral: For some it may be the best option, for others it's an easy way out, for others it just doesn't work without corresponding behavioral changes..
  • July24Lioness
    I know a bunch of people that had it, I worked with most of them at the shipyard I worked at when I still lived in Virginia. One lady I know had the surgery done, lost her weight and then had a full body lift, liposuction and had all these scars on her arms, legs, stomach, etc.............

She looked like a real life Operation game. :noway: :noway:

Most of the others I worked with had the surgery, lost weight and with in a year or so started gaining it back.

My uncles niece (on his side) had the surgery and has kept the weight off very well and she is healthy. She eats low carb eating plan that includes, proteins, veggies and a little fruit. She also exercises and has followed her Dr's orders to a "T".

Dawn has been the most successful person that I know to get the surgery and not be malnourished.

It is a very personal choice to make.

Personally speaking, I wanted to get the WLS done and my DH told me NO, he would not sign the consent form that Virginia made spouses to also give consent to the surgery, in case of emergency.

My DH told me that I lost the weight the first time doing Atkins and exercising that I need to do the same thing - as he knows I am capable of losing the weight on my own and being healthier.
  • July24Lioness
    Here is the link from Duke University regarding Post WLS Meal Planning.

Print this out and ask your DH if he will be able to adhere to these eating guidelines, if he can - then maybe WLS is for him.

http://www.dukehealth.org/HealthLibrary/CareGuides/WeightLossSurgery/TheBariatricSurgeryDietManual/Post-GastricBypassMealPlanningGuide
    Post-Gastric Bypass Meal Planning Guide
    About This Article
    Article Details
    Published: June 4, 2007
    Updated: June 4, 2007

5 people like this.
    Related Content
    Services
    Weight Loss Surgery
    The following are dietary guidelines to help manage patients following gastric bypass surgery.

Patients typically go home on a liquid only meal plan for three weeks. After three weeks they can be advanced to soft foods for the next five to six weeks then gradually converted to regular consistency foods over the next six to nine months.

Included here are suggestions for making this a safe and smooth transition.

Stage 1: Clear Liquids Only
    Stage 2: Modified Full Liquids
    Vitamins and Minerals
    Stage 3: Soft Foods
    Stage 4: Solid Foods
    How to Make Your Transition to Solid Food a Success
    Stage 1: Clear Liquids Only
    On the day after surgery, if your swallow study is OK, you will begin sips of water (One ounce each hour while you are awake). Please do not use straws or drink carbonated beverages, as these will cause you to swallow more air/gas, which is poorly tolerated and uncomfortable.

You will start with small amounts of water to avoid overfilling your new stomach and possibly tearing your sutures, and to test that it empties well. If you tolerate water, the next day you will be advanced to the Stage 2 diet that consists of two ounces (two medicine cups) of a high protein nutritionally complete fluid each hour while awake (your choice of Boost, Boost Plus, Choice DM, Skim milk or Carnation Instant Breakfast with Low fat milk).

In addition to the protein liquid, if tolerated you may have two ounces (two medicine cups) of a non-carbonated, non-caffeinated beverage (water, decaf tea, or decaf coffee) every 15 minutes for a total of eight ounces (eight medicine cups) per hour.

When you go home:

Starting on the day you go home from the hospital, you should drink two ounces (60 ml) of a high protein liquid every hour, on the hour, while you are awake. This must be a nutritionally complete liquid which would pass through a standard strainer.

In addition, if you are thirsty, you can have another two ounes of any non- carbonated, non-caffeinated, liquid every 15 minutes after the hour. This liquid should not be high calorie and can be with or without protein.

Your first priority is to drink enough fluid to prevent dehydration; protein is a secondary priority. You should drink a total of six to eight cups of fluid each day to avoid getting dehydrated. This will take some effort on your part because you may not feel hungry or thirsty at first. For best tolerance, do not use straws, take small sips, and start with room temperature liquids.

Sample Meal Schedule
    8 a.m. 2 oz. Boost High Protein
    8:15 a.m 2 oz. water (optional)
    8:30 a.m 2 oz. beverage (optional)
    8:45 a.m. 2 oz. water (optional)

You should choose a high protein drink with no more than 30 grams of sugar and at least 10 grams of protein in an eight-ounce serving.

Protein
    Protein is essential to aid in healing and healthy weight loss after surgery. It may also help avoid (but not necessarily prevent) hair loss associated with rapid weight loss. Try to consume at least 45-60 grams of protein per day.

High-Protein Liquids
    Sugar-free Carnation Instant Breakfast and skim or 1 percent milk
    8 fl. oz. skim milk with 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder (16 total grams of protein)
    Boost High Protein or Ensure High Protein, available at grocery stores
    Whey or soy protein(Carb solutions, Spiru-tein, Designer Whey)
    EAS high protein drinks
    Ensure or Boost (Glucerna or Choice DM) available at grocery stores
    Isopure (available at nutrition specialty stores)
    Tip: To increase the protein content of your liquids, add dry milk powder or protein powder.

Low-Calorie Liquids
    Water
    Crystal Light
    Sugar-free Koolaid/Wyler’s drink mix
    Unsweetened decaffeinated tea
    Decaffeinated coffee
    Clear juice diluted 50/50 with water
    Fruit2O
    Broth
    Sugar-free popsicles
    Propel Fitness Water
    You will remain on this liquid-only diet for three weeks. Please do not start solid foods until your three-week follow up visit with your surgeon and dietician.

Vitamins and Minerals
    Due to the change in size and function of your stomach you will need to take a complete vitamin/mineral supplement every day.

For the first three weeks post op your multivitamin will need to be chewable or liquid. We suggest you start with an adult chewable vitamin such as Centrum Chewable (take one daily) or Children’s Flintstones (take two daily). Thereafter you can change to an adult complete multiple vitamin with minerals (ex: Centrum Advanced Formula, One-A-Day Maximum). You can take generic equivalents but be sure to compare the contents to the recommended vitamins to make sure they have adequate nutrients of at least 18 mg of Iron, 15 mg of Zinc, and 400 mcg of Folic Acid.

After the first month you will need to add a calcium supplement as well. Calcium citrate is the preferred form of calcium since it is better absorbed. You will need to take 1,200 mg of calcium daily. For best absorption take no more than 600 mg of calcium at one time (ex) 600 mg in the a.m. and another 600 mg at bedtime (Citracal, or Bariatric Advantage Chewable Calcium Citrate are acceptable options).

Follow-Up
    At your three-week follow up clinic visit you will have a diet advancement class with the program dietitian. In this class you will learn how to successfully incorporate soft solid foods back into your meal plan.

Please do not start solid foods until after your three-week clinic visit!

Stage 3: Soft Foods
    During your three-week clinic visit, you will have an hour session with the Nutritionist to explain how to add these new foods. Please do not begin stage 3 on your own before this visit. You will slowly begin adding soft foods to your meal plan over the next six to eight weeks. After your new pouch tolerates the soft foods you can add easily tolerated solid foods to your meal. Remember your new stomach is still healing so treat it gently.

During this phase, you must still focus on high protein foods and avoid foods that are high in fat, sugar, or fiber. You will probably still need to get some of your protein from supplements until you are able to eat enough solid food to meet your nutritional needs, (see the list of protein supplements on page 2).

Getting enough protein in your diet will help you stay healthy and maintain your muscle mass as you lose weight. During meals, eat the high protein foods first; making sure you fit them in. You will be instructed to add only one new food at a time and observe your reaction to it. If you do not tolerate a food well, the problem may be with the food itself, how you prepared it, or the way you consumed it.

Learn to recognize when you are full. Indications of fullness may be a pressure or fullness in the center of your abdomen just below your rib cage or feelings of nausea, regurgitation, or heartburn. Please stop eating when you feel full.

If you have a problem with vomiting, it is most often the result of eating inappropriately and rarely a complication of surgery. Common eating related causes of vomiting are: eating too fast, not chewing food properly, eating too much food at once, eating solid foods too soon after surgery, drinking liquids either with meals or right after meals or eating foods that do not agree with you.

Following are lists of foods allowed and those to be avoided for Stage 3 of your diet progression. The foods on the avoid list are there because most patients don't tolerate them for the first two to three months after surgery. Some patients do tolerate these foods, but it is best to start with the foods on the allowed list. Once you have learned how to eat with your new gastric pouch and have healed from surgery, you can start to add other foods one a time over the next few months. If you follow these suggestions you should transition to solid foods and lose weight successfully!

Recommended Food for Stage 3: Soft Foods
    High-Protein Foods

Eggs (cooked with minimal fat)
    Light/low-fat yogurt
    Low-fat cottage cheese
    Soft fish (baked, broiled, grilled)
    Small or baby shrimp, scallops, crab
    Tuna-fish (fat-free mayo is okay)
    Tender cooked or ground poultry
    Tender cooker or ground beef or pork
    Bean and lentil dishes and soups
    Fat-free refried beans
    Low-fat luncheon meats (turkey, roast beef, sliced thin)
    Shredded or soft low-fat cheeses
    Tofu (soy) mixed in soup or vegetables
    Other Foods

Oatmeal, cream of wheat, grits (thinned)
    Softened cold cereal
    Cooked, soft vegetables
    Soft fruits without skin or canned in natural juices
    Crackers and pretzels chewed well
    Potatoes
    Low-fat soups
    Very dry toast
    Soft lettuce (green leaf or Boston bibb)
    Soft Foods to Avoid
    Sticky Foods

Bread (may tolerate if toasted)
    Sticky rice
    Pasta (especially overcooked or large noodles)
    Melted stringy cheese
    Macaroni and cheese
    Peanut butter
    Crunchy Foods

Raw vegetables
    Fruit/vegetable skins
    Nuts
    Popcorn
    Chips
    Coconut
    Iceberg lettuce
    Tough or Rubbery Foods

Tough meat (steak, pork chops, ham, hot dogs)
    High-Fat Foods

Butter, margarine, oils
    Sour cream
    Cream cheese
    Mayonnaise
    Gravy
    Fat back, bacon
    Sausage
    Whole milk
    Salad dressing
    Hard cheeses
    Fried foods
    Bologna, salami
    Chips
    Desserts
    Remember, your gastric bypass surgery is a crutch to help you lose weight, but it is not magic. If you overeat or eat mostly high calorie foods or beverages this will reduce the amount of weight you lose. Try to eat protein-dense foods to get the most nutrition from the smaller amount of foods you will be eating.

Stage 4: Solid Foods
    Congratulations, you made it to stage 4. It is now 10-12 weeks post surgery and you are ready to progress from soft solids to regular consistency foods. Below you will find some tips on how to transition from soft foods to solid foods. Remember you will begin to try solid foods one at a time, to test your tolerance to them. Do not worry if you cannot tolerate or do not want foods you used to eat. Most people experience some problems at first, especially with meats and breads. Most people find it easier to tolerate seafood first, ground or tender cooked pork and beef next then ground or tender cooked poultry.

Eventually, you will probably be able to eat most of what you were eating before surgery, only in much smaller amounts. A few patients become vegetarians. Overall you should be making healthy food choices including lean meat or vegetable protein, low fat dairy, incorporating fruit and vegetables as you are able; and avoiding empty calorie or “junk” foods as they are typically high in fat and sugar. Remember you must be very careful with foods or beverages high in sugar as they may cause the Dumping Syndrome.

Long term, patients must choose foods with good nutritional value. Each meal should have at least three ounces of protein (such as eggs, cottage cheese, fish, poultry, beans, meat, or tofu). Learn to read food labels and limit fat and sugar intake, choose low fat (five grams or less per serving), low sugar (five grams or less per serving) and lean protein foods. The volume you can tolerate will always be limited so choose foods wisely to avoid filling up on foods with little nutritional value.

How to Make Your Transition to Solid Food a Success
    Eat slowly and be aware of when you feel full. When you feel full, stop eating! If you continue to eat, you may develop intense chest pain and vomit. You may only be able to eat a few bites of food at a time, eating up to six “meals” a day.
    Chew, chew, chew! You need to make sure you chew your food very well before you swallow it. This makes it easier to digest and pass from your gastric Pouch into your small intestine.
    Avoid drinking fluids 30 minutes before and with your meals. If you fill up your small gastric pouch with liquid, you won't have room for your food. Furthermore, the liquids may accelerate passage of the solid food out of the stomach and possibly cause some discomfort. If you need to, take only small sips of liquids while eating, but don’t drink large amounts during meals.
    Drink enough fluid between meals to meet your fluid requirements. You need six to eight cups of fluid per day to avoid dehydration. You may need to carry a water bottle with you and sip on low/no calorie liquids throughout the day to get enough fluids.
    Avoid sticky foods. These foods can stick together and form a ball in your gastric pouch, causing nausea and sometimes vomiting. Sticky foods include: white bread, rolls, buns, pasta (especially if overcooked and large pieces), rice that clumps together, macaroni and cheese.
    Avoid crunchy, hard to digest foods for the first two to three months. Crunchy and hard to digest foods include: raw vegetables, nuts, popcorn, chips, coconut, olives, pickles, tough fruit/vegetable skins (such as apple, cucumber skin), dried fruit, corn, iceberg lettuce.
    Avoid tough or rubbery meats. Avoid steak, pork chops, ham, and other tough meats for the first few months. Meat is a great source of protein, but it needs to be soft and tender for you to digest it. Try a slow cooking method to make your meat tender, such as a crock-pot, boiling or cooking at a low temperature over a long period of time.
    Avoid food/beverages high in sugar. High sugar foods can cause "dumping syndrome." After gastric bypass surgery, some people feel light-heated, sweaty or faint soon after consuming sugar.
    Avoid extremes in the temperature of your foods and beverages. Some patients experience spasms or cramps with very hot or cold food/beverages.
    Limit high fat foods. These foods may make you feel nauseated. They are also high in calories and will slow down your weight loss. Try changing to a fat-free comparable product. If you don't like the fat-free product, try the light product, which usually has half the fat and calories of the regular product.
    Only try one new food at a time. This way if you cannot tolerate the food you will know exactly what your new pouch does not like.
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    it comes down to the fact that everyone is different...my boyfriends mom actually got it done and to her it is the best thing she could have ever done in her life ....she knew how to lose the weight by herself but just couldnt do it...now that she's had the surgery she has lost 130lbs in one year!...she needed a negative reinforcement to make her stop eating the bad foods....now she no longer has sleep apnea and is walking daily...some people cant let go of certain foods unless they have some type of bad thing happen from it (negative reinforcement) she cant have more than 12grams of sugar or she goes into a sugar shock and gets really sick...no drinking liquids while eating....and then there are certain foods she cant eat, for example hamburger meat she has trouble digesting, but everyone is different and has different tolerances to food...the only thing if he were to get this done he NEEDS to listen to the doctor to a tee
    :flowerforyou:
    hope all goes well no matter what decision is made :smile:
  • sareebellum
    sareebellum Posts: 13 Member
    My mom had the surgery and for the most part, she was successful. She lost 180 lbs, but it did come with some drawbacks. A lot of things did make her sick, but she just spent a lot of time finding out what she could eat. Vitamins and everything is really important to balance out your nutrition. The only major complication she had with the surgery is this.. where they re-attached her intestines to her new "pouch," she kept getting ulcers and got a few surgeries done for it. All the scar tissue eventually became an issue and she had to get a revision of the surgery (not a reversal) It's probably harder to get through than just watching what you eat... it takes more self control and knowledge about what you're eating. I do agree that you should go to a consult with him. They have support groups most places that do the surgery, even for people who are just thinking about getting it done. Just do your research and figure it out in time!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    it comes down to the fact that everyone is different...my boyfriends mom actually got it done and to her it is the best thing she could have ever done in her life ....she knew how to lose the weight by herself but just couldnt do it...now that she's had the surgery she has lost 130lbs in one year!...she needed a negative reinforcement to make her stop eating the bad foods....now she no longer has sleep apnea and is walking daily...some people cant let go of certain foods unless they have some type of bad thing happen from it (negative reinforcement) she cant have more than 12grams of sugar or she goes into a sugar shock and gets really sick...no drinking liquids while eating....and then there are certain foods she cant eat, for example hamburger meat she has trouble digesting, but everyone is different and has different tolerances to food...the only thing if he were to get this done he NEEDS to listen to the doctor to a tee
    :flowerforyou:
    hope all goes well no matter what decision is made :smile:

Just as a side note, I love when people understand "negative reinforcement" means you get something, it's just bad (not the removal of a positive). :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Personally speaking, I wanted to get the WLS done and my DH told me NO, he would not sign the consent form that Virginia made spouses to also give consent to the surgery, in case of emergency.

I'm not sure what I think of having consent of a spouse for a surgery. I am not sure I like that legal concept. My body, my choice. hmmmm

If you aren't married, are you allowed to make the decision on your own?

In that same vein, is it due to the complexity of the surgery? What justification do they use in requiring spousal consent?
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    What justification do they use in requiring spousal consent?

My assumption would be for legal purposes (if your spouse dies, the survivor cannot sue because they knew the risks going in).

I know I had to sign a consent when my husband got a vasectomy. Not life threatening I know, but I believe it's along the same principles.
This discussion has been closed.