Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OK so here is my math:
    46, 66", 202lbs, female, sedentary
    BMR 1626 TDEE 1951 20% deficit 390 Daily Calorie 1460
    SOUND GOOD or go lower?

I'm also thinking off ditching my current trainer in favor of one who will do heavy weight training.

You are not sedentary, you workout several days a week. At best (if only 3 days a week) you are lightly active. If you workout 5 days a week you are moderately active.

So its more like:

CN = 1626 * 1.375 * .8 = 1788

or

CN = 1626 * 1.55 *.8 = 2016

It's the KISS rule (keep is simple stupid, lol) and exercise is part of your TDEE.
  • siriusalien
    siriusalien Posts: 207
    Options
    Woww that seems like a lot of food compared to what I'm currently eating
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Well now that is depressing. And even more reason for me to stick to my "aggressive" goals. And here I've been chalking it up to measurement error.
    I should have added that the deficit has dropped to 600 from an initial 1000+ over 6 months ie a 400 cals/day decline in RMR etc.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Woww that seems like a lot of food compared to what I'm currently eating

And that could be your problem. What I generally suggest is add 200 calories to your plan until you hit the goals. I work with 5' women that are eating 2000 calories that weigh 120 lbs. It's not uncommon. So start at 1800 calories (I like 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats) and then increase as you add ST by another 200 calories.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I'm much less conservative (and patient). You pick what's best for you but for me, I would want that weight off and I'd go with the national authorities recs to aim for 1-2 lbs/week, which is 500-1000 calorie deficit per day. So if you burn 2000, you eat 1250 on average and don't eat back exercise. If you're hungry eat more. I'd actually go for the 2 lb/week goal but I know heads will explode if I suggest you eat 1200 and exercise off 200 per day (not eating back) and see how it feels.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    or you can just keep it simple and follow the MFP recommendations.
    They make this so easy, yet some of you want to complicate the system.
    Eat all those green numbers every day as close to goals as possible.
    Again, simple....
    MFP figures out your calorie maintenance, then subtracts enough to lose 1 pound per week.
    That's your green number. Eat that.
    When you exercise, that green number goes up as you log in the exercise.
    Eat that green number as close to goal as possible. If your input is correct, you will lose weight.
    Good luck!
  • yarwell
    Options
    I ran psulemon's suggestions (approximately) on two simulators :-

a) Eat 1788 cals/day with 1.375 activity factor, after 6 months weight is down to 188 lbs after a year 178 lbs. (Hall simulator)

b) 553 deficit (20%) from a TDEE of 2760 cals, after 6 months weight 188 and 12 months 181 (Pennington)

c) Eat 2026 with a 1.55 activity factor, after 6 months weight 187, one year 176.6lbs (Hall simulator)

ETA the mcarter99 solutions :

Eat 1250 cals/day

d) 1.375 factor, 142.7lbs after a year.

e) 1500 calorie reduction, to 1260, 141 lbs after 12 months.

f) 129 lbs after a year. 1.55 activity
  • mcarter99
    Options
    I adore your info, yarwell. But I don't think I like those simulators. Why in real life would you not readjust as conditions change? I always do. Or maybe not all of them have that built in, I'm not sure. But she wouldn't be using mine for a year because she'd hit goal in 5 months (theoretically). ?
  • yarwell
    Options
    Why in real life would you not readjust as conditions change? I always do
    Many don't, which is why they stall.

The Hall web simulator allows you to do two changes, and I have the full modelling package thing but not got my head round running it yet - it can do as many changes as you want, up and down.

Ultimately dieting is the desire to lose weight overcoming the desire to eat, so if someone has got down to your 1250 they may not want to go any further or be capable of it.

Obviously you would transition to maintenance once goal was reached.
  • mcarter99
    Options
    I guess that's a good point. The times I lost significant weight were with WW and with the Fitbit plan, both of which automatically adjust you down as you shrink. I guess most people here are doing it solo and it's often their first time so they may not know that as you get smaller you have to eat less to keep losing. Though doesn't MFP prompt you with each 10 lbs. lost or something, to go re-do your inputs?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I guess that's a good point. The times I lost significant weight were with WW and with the Fitbit plan, both of which automatically adjust you down as you shrink. I guess most people here are doing it solo and it's often their first time so they may not know that as you get smaller you have to eat less to keep losing. Though doesn't MFP prompt you with each 10 lbs. lost or something, to go re-do your inputs?

There are two methods I suggest, either every 90 days, evaluate your caloric needs or evaluate you needs once you plateau again.
  • siriusalien
    siriusalien Posts: 207
    Options
    or you can just keep it simple and follow the MFP recommendations.
    They make this so easy, yet some of you want to complicate the system.
    Eat all those green numbers every day as close to goals as possible.
    Again, simple....
    MFP figures out your calorie maintenance, then subtracts enough to lose 1 pound per week.
    That's your green number. Eat that.
    When you exercise, that green number goes up as you log in the exercise.
    Eat that green number as close to goal as possible. If your input is correct, you will lose weight.
    Good luck!

It would be nice to have that kind of faith. I've signed up for a couple online programs/calorie logs, and each gives me different #'s.. The huge discrepency make one wonder: given the same exact info to lose 1.5 lbs a week, HOW can each be so different and which is correct?