Talk to me about birth control ...

Options

Replies

• lilsaph
    lilsaph Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks all

Sadly I don't think a coil will be a good option for me, I have very painful periods which is why I went on the Depo in the first place and apparently coils can make all that worse.

Wish I could just get sterilised really, but it isn't something doctors are willing to do for a woman who doesn't have children.

Mirena coil's are great for heavy periods - mine have gone from heavy and lasting weeks at a time to a light bleed every 4-6 weeks :-) I've also found it easier to lose weight since I switched from the pill.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm glad I asked as the majority of info on mirena on google suggests weight gain is an issue but from you gauys it seems not so much. :-) I'll do a bit more research. :-)
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I got my hormonal Mirena IUD in November. I have lost very little weight although the exercise has transformed my body but I am injured now and am finding it very depressing. I am getting the hormonal IUD out and switching it with a normal IUD this Wednesday and I cannot wait. My hair has been falling out like crazy, it has been almost impossible to lose the weight. I have to vacuum up all the hair every day because of how much I have been losing not to mention declogging the drain. I gave the IUD 7 months to calm down but I don't want to wait anymore. I also have spotting all month long so my period really never ends and for someone with anemia, it is not good to lose all that blood. It could definitely be birth control, maybe you want to switch brands and see if that makes a difference. The hard part is being able to tell what is you and what is the hormones?? Good luck.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    The non hormonal IUD is also good because it lasts for 10 years :), and it doesn't pump your body full of hormones. I had that before I tried the mirena. My friend had the mirena and is due to give birth in July. My non hormonal one was falling out so I am glad I got it changed, just not glad that I went for the hormonal one. I have seen that people either love the Mirena or hate it. I am a hater.
  • lnnptrck
    lnnptrck Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think my body is all whacked up! I was on birthcontrol for years and kept a healthy weight. I came off birthcontrol after having surgery about a year ago and gained weight. According to the doctor (bloodwork and all that jazz), coming off of the birthcontrol messed with my hormones and that caused the weight gain. I'm considering going back on it to balance everything out again.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I stopped using ALL hormonal BC about 10 years ago, even Mirena. Best decision I ever made.
    Mirena was the worst decision.
    The hormones in Mirena, btw, are NOT "localized" to your uterus. Regardless of what they tell ya.
  • clotho
    clotho Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love my Mirena IUD! It has not made me gain weight like other hormonal birth control. Depoprovera was the worst for weight gain. The regular does pill was better but still weight gain occurred. A low dose pill was yet better. With Mirena my period went away for a long time. Now (after 4 years) I have lot spotting for a couple days a month. My little sister who is 20 loves her Mirena and it turned her heavy, long, painful periods into occasional light spotting. I would totally get Mirena again when my 5 years is up but my DH is getting a vasectomy so it won't be necessary.

Oh, and if you keep searching you can probably find a doc who will tie your tubes if you want it. My best friend had the same issue in her late 20s, knowing that she never wanted kids, and eventually found a doc who tied her tubes.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I use the shot as well (isn't it great to not have a period!!!)

I started taking it right after I gave birth and was breastfeeding so I am not sure if it had a bad effect since my body was adjusting to just having a baby, breastfeeding and so on. Ive been on it since March 2011.

I lost 8 lbs in the first month of really trying (May 2012) so Im not sure if the birth control shot is hindering the progress at all. If you ask your doctor and find out anything please let me know!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    the DOC took me off of it 6 months ago,, i notice a big dif, wish i had of done it years ago, he was on and on me about it, and i said no, I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO HIM!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I take Loesterin 24FE and have had no problems losing weight.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I have been on Alesse for 8 years, on and off. I haven't seen any weight issues associated with it.
    My m-cycles last around 3 to 4 days. Pretty happy with it.
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Mirena IUD!!!! Love it. I have virtually no periods, and had no weight gain when I went on it. (I wasn't trying to lose at the time.) I don't feel I've had any issues with it with my weight loss. The first 6 months are a bit annoying, since you have light spotting off and on alll the time, but it's worth it!
  • clotho
    clotho Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would say that "Natural Family Planning" is a really, really bad recommendation. It is not as effective as the pill and really only an option if you want less kids. While it is more effective than nothing, a fertile woman will eventually get pregnant using this method. Here is a great, clear chart of Birth control effectiveness. "Natural Family Planning" is a "Fertility Awareness Based Method" on the chart.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/birth-control-effectiveness-chart-22710.htm
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I'm another vote for the Mirena...best choice for me. Almost nonexistent periods now (2 light days). The amount of hormone is manageable for me. I don't have to think about it again for another 2.5 years (as it lasts 5 years).

I got pregnant on Yaz (a low dose) so I don't trust those but I didn't want to go back on a phasic pill. I did depo years ago and gained like crazy!
  • Jenn09870
    Jenn09870 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I used to use a free app called ovuview, very good tracker.

Now use Loestrin 24FE.

I started the Loestrin at the end of march, did spot a lot for the first month,
    Almost the entire month.

Now my TOM was just 2 moderate days plus 1 light wIth little to no cramping, where before it was
    5 heavy days of hell.
    The literature says the TOM may go away completely, which would be wonderful.

I have lost 32lbs since starting the Loestrin, I don't think it's the reason for the loss.
    I think it hasn't affected me one way or the other.

Loestrin can be expensive though, even with my insurance it is pricey.

Good luck!
  • somatiff
    somatiff Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I could lose weight no problem while on the nuva ring, but it made me an absolute MANIAC! I changed to the Mirena and holy crap did I ever gain weight. I gained about 40 pounds in a year. Now I'm on something else... microgestin I think and I am still struggling. I almost think the migraines and the crazy mood swings of the nuva ring would be worth it for me.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I have tried a few different ones. I will never take Yaz again - it made me a crazy person.

I started taking Nuva Ring in early April and was worried about issues losing weight. That's right around the same time I joined MFP and have lost about 27lbs.

I love the NuvaRing personally.
  • juliekin
    juliekin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I would say that "Natural Family Planning" is a really, really bad recommendation. It is not as effective as the pill and really only an option if you want less kids. While it is more effective than nothing, a fertile woman will eventually get pregnant using this method. Here is a great, clear chart of Birth control effectiveness. "Natural Family Planning" is a "Fertility Awareness Based Method" on the chart.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/birth-control-effectiveness-chart-22710.htm

Actually, I used it as an option and DIDN'T get pregnant for 10 years. Then we tried to get pregnant, had a child 5 years ago, and haven't had a problem since then. I also know many FERTILE women that haven't gotten pregnant on it. Talk to your OB/GYN about options. It definitely doesn't work for some people based on their cycles, but it does work for others.
  • Starzy696
    Starzy696 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I actually have Nexaplanon which is an implant that goes into my arm for three years. I have actually been able to keep the weight off that I normally gained on birth control pills and I don't need to remember to take a pill every day.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Yaz did not make me gain weight BUT they have been advertising health issues with the yaz. I did have to have my gal bladder out while I was on it but I have genetic things so they could not tell if it was the pill or the genes. I would just say becareful and do yur research. Yaz is the only BC I have been on that did not make me gain.