Adding starches and carbs back in to my diet

Options
Hi everyone. As some of you may becoming aware of I am a pretty strict paleo guy. However, after my performance yesterday I am beginning to rethink my carb situation. I am starting to play with the idea of adding some form of carbs back into my diet. As,I truly believe in the paleo premise I was thinking of the following additions;

Sweet potatoes
Yams
Ocossional brown/wild rice

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Can anyone suggest when might be the best time to add this fuel source (night vs day eating)? Thanks a lot

Replies

• p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I follow more of the primal blueprint (along the same lines..)
    I add in the carbs (in grain form more than startch) maybe once or twice a week. Usually something small.. and usually something on a noncardio day. Only because, for my body, they make me feel more sluggish. I would rather eat them and have a more "casual" workout (walk, leisure swim etc)
  • Cruzeleny
    Cruzeleny Posts: 21
    Options
    One of the good Carbs I eat a lot is Oatmeal. I have a 1/4 cup with a little almond milk or whater, stevia and cinnamon every morning gives me lots of energy and keeps my cravings under control for the rest of the day...Also some good ones are Rice Cakes with some natural peanut butter. ;)
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Carbs before and after a workout keeps me going strong.
  • JBHawaii
    JBHawaii Posts: 94
    Options
    Anyone else have advice or experience with doin this?
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have reintroduced startches/carbs after doing elimination diets. Start slowly, like one serving a day, and be prepared for your bowels to protest. Even a small amount of rice can be binding if you haven't eaten much of it.
  • LisaEileen
    LisaEileen Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I was eating a very strict primal diet, but when I started exercising intensely, I was feeling sick after my workouts. When I started eating carbs before my workout I felt so much better. I'm don't eat primal anymore in the sense that I added wheat back in. But, you could add the carbs that you feel comfortable with eating into your breakfast if you work out after that. Nothing wrong with a sweet potato for breakfast. You could also add some fruit. Bananas seem to sit really well with me before a workout.