P90X vs INSANITY

Options
I recently quit the gym.
I worked there and had a free membership.
Now that Ive left I have to pay and its expensive.
Id much rather find something to do at home.

Im not sure which one to purchase...
So... which is better?
What was your experience like?
Any results?
Feel free to share.
Thanks! :)

Replies

• MandyMarie01
    MandyMarie01 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've only done Insanity and I've loved it, I just started a second round of it, I lost 7 pounds for the first round, I hit a plateau in the 2nd month, that I knew was coming, then I did Asylum and didn't push hard enough so Insanity is really hard for me now, but I love it :)
  • holliph
    holliph Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    first significant difference:
    Insanity is a 60 day challenge key workout style here is max interval training (very little rest time) burn up to 1000 calories a workout no weights or equipment required

p90x is a 90 day challenge *key 12 muscle workouts: weight training, resistance, cardio & yoga

I have both of these dvd's..have not started them yet.
    I have done insanity asylum and currently doing turbo fire & hip hop abs

If you are interested in more detailed info...email me
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Both are good programs and I have found people will favor the one they tried first and I am no exception. I started with Insanity and then started P90x and just couldn't commit because the cardio workouts just didn't compare. I like the strength training of P90x but prefer the cardio of Insanity. I also find Tony annoying. If given the choice, I would go with Insanity, but if you can afford both, combine the Insanity workouts with the resistance workouts of P90x and do a hybrid program. Good luck. You will benefit from either.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    P90X is the better structured of the two. It incorporates resistance training while Insanity relies only on doing occasional calisthenics (not a lot). Insanity is mostly high intensity cardio drills. P90X is safer and more well-rounded.
  • brian90
    brian90 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Many above have answered your questions. Both are great. Depends what your looking for. Insanity is more cardio based and is intense as its max interval training. USes your own body weight for resistance. workouts are abour 40 minutes. month 2 workouts are about an hour.

P90X has a mix of strength training and cardio. workouts are about an hour, then 15 minutes for ab ripper. yoga is an hour and a half.

Are you looking for cardio or more weight training?
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Honestly I like ChaLean Extream.
    Might want to look into that.
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've heard Shaun T is a better trainer, but it really is just about what you prefer. I think P90x focuses more on strength training, while Insanity is more cardio focused. I'm about to start P90x, then plan on doing Insanity after. I really need to get my cardio endurance up before I can handle that.
  • SkylinkFitness
    Options
    I have done both, P90X first and Insanity just a couple months ago... and I thought P90X and I were in it for the long haul, but that was before I did my first Insanity workout!!! Shaun T is a GREAT motivator (better than Tony, in my opinion) and the emphasis on cardio was exactly what I needed to push myself to my limits. Don't get me wrong, I loved P90X, but Insanity takes the cake for me!!! :)
  • TheGsMama
    TheGsMama Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    BodyRock.tv & ZWOWs (YouTube) - they are free :)
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    p90x is FAB and some of the workout ARE acually fun!! lol
  • HURLEYX3RO
    HURLEYX3RO Posts: 269
    Options
    Many above have answered your questions. Both are great. Depends what your looking for. Insanity is more cardio based and is intense as its max interval training. USes your own body weight for resistance. workouts are abour 40 minutes. month 2 workouts are about an hour.

P90X has a mix of strength training and cardio. workouts are about an hour, then 15 minutes for ab ripper. yoga is an hour and a half.

Are you looking for cardio or more weight training?

For now Im looking more cardio I have a lot that I need to burn, before I start strength training again.

Apparently with p90 Id get the best of both worlds, although Ive never tried yoga.
  • Alainn16
    Alainn16 Posts: 3
    Options
    I've been doing P90 for about a week and a half. I honestly love it. Don't get me wrong I'm completely sore but it really works every muscle. I find myself dripping sweat by the time I'm done.
  • kk_achieve
    kk_achieve Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've tried both. I LOVE Insanity - the workouts are killer (in a good way). I'd recommend it to anyone who already has a pretty good fitness base of endurance and athleticism. It's alot of plyometrics and jumping so good form and a solid base of fitness is important for preventing injuries since it's so intense.

I personally don't enjoy P90X but I know alot of people do. The lifts and structure are great, but I find it too slow and Tony is so annoying! I had to mute him and put on music instead.

Recently I've been trying Bob Harper's "Inside Out" dvds - there's a strength, cardio, and yoga. If you "like" him on facebook, you can see when he does special $5 dvd promos which is farely often. I am really enjoying them. They are a great mix of both Insanity cardio/plyo moves and p90x strength moves. I've never sweat so much in my life and I adore Bob's training methods. Tough love and *kitten* kicking at the same time.

Good luck!
  • krorvik
    krorvik Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have Insanity and i love it. and then after Insanity im going to buy the insanity asylum. When i bought my Insanity i firsted asked around and my coworkers that had P90X didnt really like it and thought that Insanity would be better. Which i love it. Its a great work out. dripping with sweat.