Calling all new runners and 'tri' ers!

Options
chezhk
chezhk Posts: 3 Member
Hi all, I'm 5'3", 11stone and have just started running AND training for a triathlon. :laugh: Looking for buddies to encourage when the going gets tough. So far I've been training for 8 weeks. The 1st 4wks I religiously logged on mfp. But for the last 4 weeks I've stopped logging and guess what.....I haven't lost any weight. I think I thought by virtue of doing loads of exercise, the pounds would melt without thinking about what I ate.....how wrong can you be!!! I have 4 weeks to avoid looking like a giant sausage (me in a wet suit) come triathlon race day. HELP!

Replies

• Emerald_Jen
    Emerald_Jen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello Chezhk! Welcome to the wonderful world of triathlons. Feel free to "friend" me. :)

I do Olympic-distance triathlons (although right now I'm pregnant and on a break). I trained for my first one - not knowing how to swim, unable to run more than a block straight, and only able to bike five miles - in 2010. I finished the Nation's Tri in Washington D.C.

In 2011, I trained for and completed a half-marathon.

This year, I was scheduled to do a sprint-distance and Olympic-distance triathlon, two half-marathons, and a few other distance races, but then I became pregnant. With a rough start with morning sickness, I put my plans on hold for next year.
  • jemimasmum
    jemimasmum Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi both.

I'm training (very slowly) to complete a sprint tri in the Autumn. it was going well then.... well it wasn't going at all. Now back in the right frame of mind but grumpy 'cos weight sems constant despite extra exercise. It went up when i first started training and I really don't want that to happen again.

Best advice??
  • Emerald_Jen
    Emerald_Jen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough food. You need to eat more food to properly fuel your body for the training, but still not eat so much that you're not gaining.

Keep your exercise consistent.

I gained weight for the first 4-6 weeks of consistent exercise for my Olympic triathlon (about ten hours per week of running, biking, or swimming) and then I shed tons after my muscles caught up and started burning more efficiently.

Don't weigh yourself, but instead measure yourself with a tape measure.

Don't skip workouts unless you are physically injured.

Make sure you are staying well hydrated.
  • sessalee
    sessalee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm considering training for a sprint tri this fall, there's a decent one with an indoor swim (I am not yet a fan of lake swimming!) in October I think I could manage. Feel free to add me!
  • nicescent
    nicescent Posts: 44
    Options
    I have been doing triathlons for 10 years now. I started with an Ironman....it was fun. i finished towards the end of the pack but who cares. I enjoyed it and still do. Better to start with a sprint and decide whether you like it or not. Triathlons are special. You do a multisport exercise so you are never bored doing the same thing and you meet a lot of interesting people. You can train as much as you want but the most important thing is your "head". It is better to be well trained but if your "mental" does not follow, forget it.
    If you need some advice from a "regular triathlete" let me know. add me to your friends.
    good luck.
  • nicescent
    Options
    Regarding your weight. You never lose weight at the beginning of training because although you have lost fat, you gained muscle and muscle mass is heavier than fat, so don't worry.You will start losing weight in a few more weeks or month.
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    sent a freind request ... Im just getting back into training with a goal of half ironman next summer and full ironman 2014...
  • amberleighM04
    Options
    I doubt I'll ever make a tri, but intend to run a 5k this fall.
  • nicescent
    Options
    Never say never.