Fasting: how, how much, how effective, how often, etc.

Options
All,

Just wondering about peoples' experience with fasting... here are a few things to think about:

- How much of it have you done, and what sort of durations are we talking about?
- How frequently/regularly have you/do you fast?
- What sort of results have you (or have you not) attained through the practice?
- What do you consider 'fasting'? How much can you take in before you actually eating, and how long does it have to last?
- What do you take in during your fast, if anything?
- What goals have you been trying to support?

Thanks - looking forward to hearing your experiences!

Replies

• kcastro124
    kcastro124 Posts: 11
    Options
    I think it is a good idea to fast once a week to give your body a rest from the work of digestion. Drink water only and start your fast after dinner on Tuesday (for example) and fast until 6pm on Wednesday night when you eat dinner. This way you are sleeping for part of you fast and is a good way to ease into fasting. The longest I have fasted is 3 days. Fasting also makes you aware of your body being truly hungry. I don't have a lot of experience but maybe some of this helps...
  • merie08
    merie08 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't fast as regularly as other people, probably every other week ill do it or when the scale doesn't move for awhile. When I do it I start after I eat dinner so that way sleeping makes up most of it and then end it around 5 the next day. Every single time i plateau I fast and it seems to jump start the weight loss again. Also, fasted workouts burn more fat so when I wake up I exercise before I break my fast.When I fast I drink plenty of water and I don't consider black coffee or unsweetened tea breaking the fast either. My favorite thing that fasting has taught me is how to know when I am really hungry and also I am a firm believer that you don't have to eat breakfast as soon as you wake up to maintain a healthy lifestyle, since I have never been a breakfast person.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I just hit about hour 16 of my fast - I did start last night after dinner, but it was a late dinner (out with family for the whole father's day thing). Also, although I was good about my dinner calories, I broke down and split a dessert - bananas foster, which is one of my achilles heels. I didn't even bother to weigh myself this morning, since I know I'm up.

All I've had so far is water and decaf iced tea. I wasn't really planning to go much further, but I still feel fine, so I might just stick it out.

Anyone have any thoughts on how long before you really do start detoxifying and burning fat on a 24-hour fast?
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    ... Also, fasted workouts burn more fat so when I wake up I exercise before I break my fast....

I always work out on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. Then I get in a good post-workout shake. But is 12 hours/overnite really a fast? When does the body go into 'fasting' mode?
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I think it is a good idea to fast once a week to give your body a rest from the work of digestion. Drink water only and start your fast after dinner on Tuesday (for example) and fast until 6pm on Wednesday night when you eat dinner. This way you are sleeping for part of you fast and is a good way to ease into fasting. The longest I have fasted is 3 days. Fasting also makes you aware of your body being truly hungry. I don't have a lot of experience but maybe some of this helps...

Wow, once a week... that's definitely something to think about, especially since I'm trying to drop weight. I could synch it with my exercise rest day. I have fasted a full day before, but never longer than that. How did you feel after the 3 days?
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Every day -- after dinner until before breakfast. Feels great!
  • AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I too have been fasting once a week...but I have to have my 1 cup of coffee in the morning and I drink maybe 4-5 glasses of v8 splash (fruits n veggies) to help give me energy throughout the day....I usually drop 2-3 lbs from this and it always helps kick start my loss if ive plateau'd....
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    All,

Just wondering about peoples' experience with fasting... here are a few things to think about:

- How much of it have you done, and what sort of durations are we talking about?
    - What sort of results have you (or have you not) attained through the practice?
    - What do you consider 'fasting'? How much can you take in before you actually eating, and how long does it have to last?

I don't have any fasting tips... I just like your Cap. Marvel on your ticker. :)
  • plummersmate
    Options
    I've never really intentionally fasted before, its more a case of I've got so busy in work that I've forgot to eat; but reading this thread I think I might try and build in a day each week or fortnightly. I'm not a breakfast person and certainly can't exercise with food inside me. I tend to run most mornings before work. I suppose as long as you keep hydrated it can't hurt. Thanks for the thought, I'm gonna give it a try!
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    All,

I don't have any fasting tips... I just like your Cap. Marvel on your ticker. :)

Shazam! :)
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Every day -- after dinner until before breakfast. Feels great!

I can't tell if you're serious or not... is that fasting? Honestly, it's one of the things I'm trying to figure out: how long before it's actually a fast? 12 hours? 18 hours? 8 hours? Clearly over 18 hours, I think, qualifies; but what's the cut off?