hula hooping

Options
2»

Replies

• MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    where do you order them from??!?! sounds like fun!!!!!

http://www.hoopnotica.com The girl looked like she was getting a great w/o and her abs were to die for!!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    do you burn a lot of calories doing it?

yes, you burn 200 calories for just 30 minutes of hooping!
  • supplemama
    Options
    I could do it when I was little but I recently I bought a hoop thinking it could make my workouts more fun. But now I can't do it. I can't keep it going for more than a few turns before it's on the ground. What am I doing wrong? I've even watched a few beginner youtube videos and tried a couple of their ideas. No luck. Should I just keep trying?

Keep trying! Also you may need a heavier hoop.
  • supplemama
    Options
    wondering can really big girls do this i would love to show my 3 yr old how to

I currently am really big, I currently weigh 206.2 pounds. You can do this!!
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    it's a lot harder to hoop with the kind you get at the dollar store and such, you need a bigger and heavier one. I just made one for real cheap with supplies from home depot.
    you can google how to make your own hula hoop.
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    "I could do it when I was little but I recently I bought a hoop thinking it could make my workouts more fun. But now I can't do it. I can't keep it going for more than a few turns before it's on the ground. What am I doing wrong? I've even watched a few beginner youtube videos and tried a couple of their ideas. No luck. Should I just keep trying?"

I have been hooping since Jan. 2012 and I love it. I am in my front yard almost every day hooping and when I am not, I am on You Tube looking for more instruction and cooler tricks.

For the person who stated, they can't do it anymore, the trick is to thrust your hips forward and back, so that your hips are actually pushing the hoop around. There is a misconception that our hips should circle and follow the hoop. The best way to start is with one foot in front of the other and practice just moving the hips forward and back.

It will take a little "relearning", but in no time, you will be hooping again.

I bought my hoop on Ebay from a gal who hand makes them in New Jersey. She even sent me a free one.
  • doutri2
    Options
    I could do it when I was little but I recently I bought a hoop thinking it could make my workouts more fun. But now I can't do it. I can't keep it going for more than a few turns before it's on the ground. What am I doing wrong? I've even watched a few beginner youtube videos and tried a couple of their ideas. No luck. Should I just keep trying?

Sorry, I just figured out how to "quote" someone and now I can't remove this post. In my previous post, I wish I had learned how to quote someone before I finished my post.
  • doutri2
    Options
    do you burn a lot of calories doing it?

According to my Hoopnotica instructor, she said 600 calories an hour. I know I didn't burn that much in class, but it may be different with a video.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i feel like i can't do it for long, does anyone else have this problem???
  • doutri2
    Options

Do you mean that you can't keep it spinning or you get bored?

If it's the spinning, you need to work more on technique. Hips should either move forward/back with feet staggered or hips side to side with feet parallel.

If you are bored, use the hoop for both off the body and the on the body tricks. I like the video clips you can find on YouTube.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    wondering can really big girls do this i would love to show my 3 yr old how to

I currently am really big, I currently weigh 206.2 pounds. You can do this!!

i weigh more than you (not sure if i'm bigger or not) and i totally rock the hoop.
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It's a great workout especially for the mid section. I don't have a hoop, but have a Wii. It's one of the exercises for the Wii Fit. Works wonders for those who have limited indoor space.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

Do you mean that you can't keep it spinning or you get bored?

If it's the spinning, you need to work more on technique. Hips should either move forward/back with feet staggered or hips side to side with feet parallel.

If you are bored, use the hoop for both off the body and the on the body tricks. I like the video clips you can find on YouTube.
    the boredom part. i will do it for like a minute and be done, i guess i could look up some tricks, that might help keep me interested
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I like the Wii fit hula hooping, its timed in shorter increments so I work a few in while playing other things, I get bored doing it for longer than a few minutes, plus real hoops never seem to stay up on me no matter how hard I try, so wii is better for my ego.