MY TODDLER ATE VEGGIES AND LOVED IT!

Options
I just had the BEST dinner. It was a plate o veggies cleverly disguised. It satisfied me, was very low in calories, and my toddler ate it up AND asked for seconds!
We had spaghetti squash cleverly disguised as spaghetti with marinara sauce. Then we had broccoli (or "trees" and my son "the giant dinosaur" gobbled them up) and a little bit of corn. I ate so much I was STUFFED and still had calories to spare for the day. It was delicious and the ENTIRE meal was only about 250 calories (with ALL I ate). I am just thrilled I got a plate full of veggies down my carb only lil man! :smile:

Replies

• Valhead
    Options
    I just had the BEST dinner. It was a plate o veggies cleverly disguised. It satisfied me, was very low in calories, and my toddler ate it up AND asked for seconds!
    We had spaghetti squash cleverly disguised as spaghetti with marinara sauce. Then we had broccoli (or "trees" and my son "the giant dinosaur" gobbled them up) and a little bit of corn. I ate so much I was STUFFED and still had calories to spare for the day. It was delicious and the ENTIRE meal was only about 250 calories (with ALL I ate). I am just thrilled I got a plate full of veggies down my carb only lil man! :smile:
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    That's great:happy: Kids really need to get in the habit of eating healthy.
  • bricker
    bricker Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I tried the same thing once with my toddler, but she didn't go for it :wink: Perhaps I didn't make the spaghetti squash right. Any tips?
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    Options
    I always go for carrots in mashed potatoes with melted cheese over the top (oh yes the orange bits in the potato are cheese yeh yeh) Also superfoods like cauliflower its white very easily disguised with mash potato and melted cheese.

My kids love garlic so if they really in a no way I not eatin veg I disguise the flavour with a bit of garlic also good for them.

KIds soooo need to get used to eaten healthy would you really wish all this dietin c***p on them when they older I wouldn't, I want my girlies to know how to eat right so they will always look good. (Charley my eldest daughter at 2 yr 11mnth is gorgeous we can't go anywhere without people stopping us in the street or store telling us she will be a heartbreaker when shes older blonde hair big blue eyes) It is my responsibility to make sure that she eats healthy to stay as pretty as she is now.

I make spag bol with everything tinned toms onion garlic basil olive oil carrots worcester sauce and my kids lick their plates I do blend the sauce before added the meat.

Be careful not to restrict the cals too much if your little uns are not overweight kids are on the go all the time and need plenty of snacks to keep their little bodies fueled so they can learn and develop properly. I don't worry too much if mine won't eat a gr8 deal of veggies they absolutely love fruit strawberries, bananas, apple, pear, kiwi, grapes etc etc and fruit can be just as good as veg and you are less likely to lose vitamins like you do when you cook veg.
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    My daughter is a teen and I swear it's like pulling teeth to get her to eat a vegetable. Her tastes have changed this year though and she'll eat my homemade salsa (mostly tomatoes), cauliflower, red peppers, and snow peas of all things. I still have to disguise them in other things. I'm wondering if her switch from not eating red meat to eating more vegetables is tied in together because they happened about the same time??
  • Phatmomma
    Phatmomma Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Lol awesome!:flowerforyou:
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    clever idea with the spaghetti squash. I only made it once, i baked it with butter. But my kids wont touch it. How do you cook it if you use it like spaghetti? I'm going to try the cauliflower trick too. If they don't see it, they may eat it. The carrot thing won't work cause my son is at a stage that he won't eat anything with cheese:explode:
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    clever idea with the spaghetti squash. I only made it once, i baked it with butter. But my kids wont touch it. How do you cook it if you use it like spaghetti? I'm going to try the cauliflower trick too. If they don't see it, they may eat it. The carrot thing won't work cause my son is at a stage that he won't eat anything with cheese:explode:

I LOVE spaghetti squash! I just wrap mine in plastic wrap and put it in the microwave for 7-10 minutes, or until it's soft enough. I'll either spray it with that fake butter stuff and add lemon juice and parmesan cheese or make a marinara (or open a jar in a hurry) and pour it over the top. Topped with some parmesan and it's done! Mmmm!!! It's a favorite of mine! I can eat a TON, get full, and have very few calories!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    My kids never went for this idea either. But we did get them to eat cabbage mixed in with mashed potatoes (both boiled and smashed togethor) It was very good.
  • Pom_love_2
    Options
    While on the topic, I found this while looking for ways to cook spaghetti squash, the kids might like these for a snack too.

Did You Know? Any squash seeds can be roasted just like pumpkin seeds (pumpkin is a kind of squash). They are low carb, nutritious, and delicious:

The pumpkin carving ritual wouldn't be complete without the smells and crunching of roasted pumpkin seeds! This also works for squash seeds, including spaghetti squash.
    Ingredients:
    • Pumpkin or squash seeds
    • If you want to add salt or seasonings, you'll need a bit of oil so it will stick
    Preparation:
    Preheat oven to 350 F. (or seed below for lower slower method).

1) Clean the pulp off the pumpkin seeds (or squash seeds), and dry with paper towels.

2) If desired, toss with a little olive or other oil. You only need enough to barely coat, otherwise, they will be greasy. Add salt and any kind of seasoning you want - garlic powder, Cajon seasoning, dried chile powder, or whatever sounds good to you!

3) Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the seeds out in one layer.

Bake for 3-5 minutes, until seeds just start to color and are fragrant. Sometimes I use a longer but safer method of using a lower temperature. If you roast the seeds at 250 degrees F., you don't have to watch them as carefully. It takes about 45 -60 minutes.

Nutritional information: Pumpkin seeds are packed with nutrition, but I am not satisfied with being totally clear on the carb count. I think you can safely count them as having 5 grams of usable carb and 2 grams of fiber for 1/4 cup. The counts I'm finding vary a lot if the outer shell has been removed (these are called pepitas), and the fiber information isn't always analyzed. The above numbers are based on the best information I can find.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/snacks/r/pumpkinseeds.htm
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    i started my son early on veggies and other stuff. He is 8 now and loves Sushi/Shashimi veggies just about every thing i put in front of him.

I took him and my GF to a Korean place once. his favorite was the pickeled seaweed and smoked sardines.

Gosh i love that boy i just wished he would play outside more than on his playstation.

Tim