When do you track your food?

Options

Replies

• DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Pre: Seldom. Things always change, so it would be more of a hassle to log a day's menu, then go back and change.

Right after: Usually. That way, I've got an accurate count on how much of what was on my plate.

End of day: Sometimes. If I'm away from a computer -- shopping with my wife, attending some event, or simply no time for it -- I'll log what I have consumed when I get back online.
  • Paradis
    Paradis Posts: 54
    Options
    The night before.That way I have the whole day planned out of what I am eating so I don't go over my calories.
  • usernamejoe
    usernamejoe Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    As I eat I log through my phone or PC
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options
    I do it while I am eating or right after I eat :)
  • CdnPgnMom
    CdnPgnMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I do a little of all of the above. It really depends on the day - what's going on, what I'm having, how prepared I am, etc. Today I mostly pre-planned this morning because I am making a roast with veggies and gravy in the slow cooker and I wanted to make sure I evened my calories out accordingly. :)
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I tend to pre-log. I want to know what I have to play with. Then I adjust as needed through out the day and do a final accounting before bed.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I usually plan my whole day beforehand. That way I can fit stuff in that might be a little high-calorie, etc. It's easy for me because I'm retired and spend most of my time at home. If I have to be away, say for lunch, I will plan the rest and keep in mind any limitations if I eat lunch out.

I think those who work and manage to keep to their daily plan deserve a brownie-button. I have done it in the past, and it ain't easy!

Edit: Wait. Are the Brownies still an organization or did they merge with the Boy Scouts?
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    All of the above
  • Jewel1201
    Jewel1201 Posts: 68
    Options
    Pre logger most of the time.
  • beachloe
    beachloe Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I log food as I eat it. If I waited until the end of the day I would forget things and it wouldn't be accurate.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Pre-journal!

I put everything in the tracker I plan on eating throughout the day, then adjust it as needed. I find this helps to keep me on track throughout the day since I know ahead of time what I'm going to eat. But I'm also very flexible and will change if my plans change.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I started out logging after I'd eaten, but pretty soon realised that if I logged during food prep I'd change some of the ingredients or ratio thereof, so now if I'm eating something I'm unsure of I'll log it while I cook or certainly before i eat :smile:

4558573.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I end up eating out or on the fly a lot, for various reasons, so I log after I order, or as I'm cooking (I don't use recipes very often, and neither do the people I cook with most often). When I get towards the evening, if my calories are high and my macros wacky, I'll do the Watching My Points trick and heat up a bag of veggies with garlic pepper for flavour ^__^
  • Tonya0605
    Tonya0605 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Me too.....I gotta know what I'm eating for the day LOL
  • Tonya0605
    Tonya0605 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    oops...double-posting.......sorry
  • CristaA42962
    CristaA42962 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I try to log as soon as I am done eating, but sometimes, like today, we had a lunch meeting and I was not back in the office until now, and I couldn't whip out the iphone to log, so I had to wait!
  • westdove
    westdove Posts: 174
    Options
    Right then! Before I forget, sometimes while eating...
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Right after I eat.. I find it keeps me accountable better and that way I also know how many calories I have left for the day and where my macros stand.
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I log 1st thing in the morning so I know what I need to burn and seem to do better when I have my food for the day planned out.

something must be working -- Check out your ticker!!
  • meliann07
    meliann07 Posts: 24
    Options
    I log as I'm going along and also log right before I eat as well to make sure I don't eat too big of a portion.