Stay At Home Dad

Options
zela
zela Posts: 92 Member
I see alot of stay at home moms here. When will it be our turn ladies?

brb not working 12-14 hour days
brb not using all the free time on gym and cooking for the next day
brb not having to do chores on the weekends and enjoying a weekend
brb practicing my golf swing all day and making the tour

Replies

• _Stampede_
    _Stampede_ Posts: 66
    Options
    If you're going to lobby for a stay at home position, you might want to pull your pants up.
  • mtraver88
    mtraver88 Posts: 78
    Options
    I'm all for stay at home dads! I love going to work and school. I am busier at home than in the office, so the office is a break for me! :)
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    my ex husband is a SAHD. It happens. But he's also a disabled vet.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My husband is a stay at home dad - though since april he has started his own business so is working when I am at home.

More and more of them around or similar to what we are beginning to do - couples working different days to juggle childcare.
  • zela
    Options
    Honestly, I could never do it although the idea is appealing for a day break maybe. The thought of having somebody else support me would drive me into the ground, as would the thought of feeling like I wasn't pushing my maximum in life. I think women are alot better fit, emotional, and suited for raising and caring for kids.
    If you're going to lobby for a stay at home position, you might want to pull your pants up.

chill out its my weekly love handle progress check
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    AHHH!!!
    This is happening , to a point, with me and hubby. He is the foreman for a stucco company that he has been with for 13 years.(Since he was 15) I am a burnt out artist. 20 years of hard hustle, never doing what I am in the mood for, but what the customer needs or wants. Trying to see what you see then bring it from your mind to this world.... He however, still enjoys his work. ( he's also 11 years younger, age makes a diference) At first , his work got slow, then slower. Now.... It's kinda rough. Mine, on the other hand was booming. I let go of alot of customers, keeping only a few, with plans to be a stay at home mom. I love being at home with and for my family. Lately though, I've been gradually working more and more while husband deals with the home. He's not happy. He does it, and does it pretty good. He thanks me for helping and encourages me in it. We are greatful that we can make it with each others help. Love being able to rely on one another, but it's backwards from how we want it. Yea...it happens.
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options
    Is a stay at home mom... and I would like to just say I get no rest....not even on weekends.. The time I pop on here is very small compared to the time I am up running around.

If there is a man that would like to trade me... I so would ...give you about a week till you are begging for your job back :laugh:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    My dad was a stay-at-home dad. I remember he did a lot of home renovations and went back to work once all of my siblings were in school.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Is a stay at home mom... and I would like to just say I get no rest....not even on weekends.. The time I pop on here is very small compared to the time I am up running around.

If there is a man that would like to trade me... I so would ...give you about a week till you are begging for your job back :laugh:

Just because I have a job doesn't mean that I don't dedicate most of my non-working time to raising my child.
  • zela
    Options
    Single guy here but my mom always refused to stay at home, although kids are grown up now, but they still don't know how to pull their pants up.

Lady worked full time at a meat processing plant and found the time to come home clean, cook, garden, etc.. no limit to what that women.. most women these days feel entitled to be a stay at home mom and send the kids to pre school, do nails, and shopping, and out drink me on the weekends? Love a women with a little motivation in life, highly unlikely in this century.
  • mommy2AR
    Options
    Hey now did I say that? No putting words in my mouth ....okay? :laugh: Believe me I know that working dads come home and do their part as well.

MY point being that you guys get to work...have a bit of a break from having to deal with "mom, I want this...Mom so and so hit me...mom Im hungry" all day long. I am not complaining because I love being a stay at home mom... but the fast of the matter is it can drive you nuts at times :laugh:
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options

If this comment had any more awesomeness, it would be me.
  • mommy2AR
    Options
    And just to say... I do NOT go lazy around and send the kids to school. There are days that I spend helping my mother in law care for her mother, days I volunteer at our local food pantry, days I spend at the nursing home so the residents can have their monthly birthday parties and enjoy some bingo.

I think the women you have described arent stay at home moms.... they are freeloaders:huh:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Single guy here but my mom always refused to stay at home, although kids are grown up now, but they still don't know how to pull their pants up.

Lady worked full time at a meat processing plant and found the time to come home clean, cook, garden, etc.. no limit to what that women.. most women these days feel entitled to be a stay at home mom and send the kids to pre school, do nails, and shopping, and out drink me on the weekends? Love a women with a little motivation in life, highly unlikely in this century.

is this most women in the world today or most women in YOUR world today? Because I work and most of the women I know work, too. Not too much feeling of entitlement in my circle. And, when I get home from work, I cook, clean, do laundry, run errands, workout, etc.
  • wolverine66
    Options
    Honestly, I could never do it although the idea is appealing for a day break maybe. The thought of having somebody else support me would drive me into the ground, as would the thought of feeling like I wasn't pushing my maximum in life. I think women are alot better fit, emotional, and suited for raising and caring for kids.

chill out its my weekly love handle progress check

i can see how you wouldn't want someone to "support" you if that's how you see it.

I see it more as a team effort. I mean, I have an employer - that's where the money comes from (mainly). That's where the health insurance comes from. But my wife's main job of being with my son (she has a part time night job, too) is also contributing to the success of the household.

That's what we are striving for as a family. Our focus is on each other and what can we do together and exciting trips and vacations, and those things. That doesn't make anyone less motivated. It is just we are motivated towards something different than you.

I think I would be a pretty good stay at home dad, if the roles were reversed. But maybe I just have a larger emotional range.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • zela
    Options

you fellas want private pics of my thigh gap? :flowerforyou:
  • katelynnmagdalena
    Options
    Hahaha! Agreed
  • wolverine66
    Options
    Hey now did I say that? No putting words in my mouth ....okay? :laugh: Believe me I know that working dads come home and do their part as well.

MY point being that you guys get to work...have a bit of a break from having to deal with "mom, I want this...Mom so and so hit me...mom Im hungry" all day long. I am not complaining because I love being a stay at home mom... but the fast of the matter is it can drive you nuts at times :laugh:

I'm sorry, I misunderstood your point.

I work 8-10 hours a day. When I come home, from the second I walk through the door, until my son goes to bed, it's all me. There is no "unwind" from work. It's "what do I fix for dinner?" I will get home from work and she takes a much deserved break. After he goes to bed I do dishes and help with laundry. And on the weekends, I get up with him most of the time.

My wife does have a part time job in the evenings, so I do understand that is a respite.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    My niece's old man is a SAHD. :) Nothing wrong with being a SAHP-the parent that makes the most money should probably be the one to work. Unless they can manage on the lower income. Some people (men and women alike) are just not cut out to stay home at all...

There aren't as many guys that I know, though, that are okay cleaning up puke and crap without acting like they'll vomit all over themselves in the process. My husband is a freaking whiny wimp when it comes to both puke and poop.