Polyphasic Sleep Cycles

Misiaxcore
Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
So I'm seriously considering switching to a polyphasic sleep cycle, still doing some prelim research on them though. I've been reading good things about the Everyman Cycle. Monophasic just doesn't seem to work for me. Would love some input and insight from others who have tried them/know people doing them, etc.

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Misiaxcore
    -bump-
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    well, you could try it...is it feasible time-wise for your lifestyle?

I think that would be the major inhibition - our social world doesn't really like to adjust schedules so someone can "nap" LOL unfortunately!

Also, what is your history of falling asleep like? For some people who have problems falling asleep or have caffiene ingestion - it would be really hard.

Granted, it may be our ancestral sleep state (maybe!) but they didn't have all the noise, caffiene, and time constraints.

I'm curious how it works for others though, keep us posted? what are your other thoughts/considerations about it? or, what is motivating you towards this?
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    I don't have much knowledge of purposfully being polyphasic in sleep. Most of my knowledge comes from working in the nursing home. Many of my patients who didn't follow a "regular diurnal" cycle... were more demented than the ones who slept "normaly"...

now was their dementia causing the odd sleep cycle? or did the odd sleep cycle contribute to the dementia? who knows...

personally I prefer 6-8 hrs in a chunck of sleep... I don't nap well... but I can get 4 hrs and it is acceptable... I am a nurse and I work nights... so there are days when I only get 4-5 hrs...
  • runmybunsoff
    runmybunsoff Posts: 224 Member
    Ooo! New term for me. I have serious sleeping issues so anything would help at this point. Bump bump!
  • Misiaxcore
    well, you could try it...is it feasible time-wise for your lifestyle?

I think that would be the major inhibition - our social world doesn't really like to adjust schedules so someone can "nap" LOL unfortunately!

Also, what is your history of falling asleep like? For some people who have problems falling asleep or have caffiene ingestion - it would be really hard.

Granted, it may be our ancestral sleep state (maybe!) but they didn't have all the noise, caffiene, and time constraints.

I'm curious how it works for others though, keep us posted? what are your other thoughts/considerations about it? or, what is motivating you towards this?

I'm not worried about any of the social aspects. I want to know how others felt with a polyphasic sleep schedule and how they were able to function. I'm starting Graduate School in the fall and having some extra time would be excellent.

I hate going to sleep. I'm a night owl and like to be an early bird as well. I have no trouble sleeping when I finally go to bed, but I usually don't go to bed until I start passing out. I like sleeping when I'm actually doing it though lol.

During school I was sleeping 4-6hrs/night without having naps. Now my body is catching up on some sleep but I never feel rested and hate sleeping for long periods of time - makes me feel more tired.

Also when I have swim practice at 5:30-7am, I usually end up going to sleep around 1-2am then have a nap around 8:30am-11'ish - really depends on my schedule.

The Biphasic schedule seems to be the closest to what my body tries to do when I don't have morning practice (but like I mentioned already - I don't let myself nap unless I really need it). I'm looking at the Everyman 3 though: 4.5 hours sleep and two 20min naps.

Good experience, bad experience - I want to hear it!