Mosquito Bites

Options
EmCarroll1990
EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
What are your remedies to stop the itch?

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Deodorant (stick, not gel).
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    With your fingernail push really hard on it making an "x". Works every time.
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options

I've been doing the X, but it just gets itchy again once it's no longer indented.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I don't know but I got a *kitten* ton of them yesterday.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options

Yep...but be careful if you do this to one on your forehead...just sayin'....
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options

I've got two on my forehead right now.
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options
    I don't know but I got a *kitten* ton of them yesterday.

Same!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    As a Minnesota girl, where the mosquito is the state bird, I have a couple:

I like the "x" thing, but yes, it's temporary.

Ice will take the itch away for a bit, too.
    Calamine lotion works pretty well.

If you have a lot of 'em all over, take a benadryl or other allergy-type drug. It helps, especially for sleeping.

............dang, I'm good, cuz these are what the Mayo recommends! (and I did NOT look this up before I wrote!)

Mosquito bites: Ease the itch
    By Mayo Clinic staff

Mosquito bites are annoying, but you're not doomed to days of itching after your outdoor fun. Apply calamine lotion or an over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream to any itchy areas several times a day until your symptoms go away. A cold pack or baggie filled with crushed ice may help, too. For stronger reactions, try taking an oral antihistamine.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My iimo used witch hazel when I was a kid, just soaked a cotton ball and held it on a bad bite for half a minute or so...it worked. Whether that was placebo or it really worked, I don't know, but the hospitals here send witch hazel home for new moms and hemorrhoids, so it helps something!

Benadryl tabs, too. If worse comes to worst, to make you sleepy and then you can sleep through em?
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    put finger nail polish on it, will dry it up.

But why aren't you protecting yourself from bites? Still a health hazard - disease.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There's a small tube (like neosporin size) of Aveeno Anti-Itch Cream. It's amazing.

I had PUPPP at the end of my pregnancy and it was the only thing (along w/ the Aveeno Oatmeal bath stuff) that really helped.

I use it on my son for mosquito bites as well - he's allergic to mosquitoes (oddly), so he gets benadryl orally within a couple hours of being bit, and then the Aveeno cream or a Benadryl anti-itch spray. Does the trick.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

But why aren't you protecting yourself from bites? Still a health hazard - disease.

Mosquitoes happen??
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i scratch them until they bleed. it's not really effective, but it feels really good.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Now you tell me!

MansonX.jpg
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

I have started to shy away from bug spray because of the DEET that's in it but even if I do have to put on bug spray I get eaten alive. I'm a mosquito magnet. I am the person who will get bitten by the lone mosquito in the middle of the winter.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    What are your remedies to stop the itch?

Oh, and to address your question take a wash cloth and put it in water that's as hot as you can stand it and place it on the affected areas. It actually works.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Grab a piece of garlic.
    Cut it in half.
    Dip in salt.

Rub on mosquito bite.
  • Here2GetFit
    Here2GetFit Posts: 292
    Options
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I always wear protection! I dont know where those dirty buggers have been!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    The best thing is not to scratch them. Once you do it's hard to stop....they itch more!