Question about ground turkey

Options
smwifey
smwifey Posts: 28 Member
I am having a huge craving for a burger so I purchased my first ever pack of ground turkey. My question is do I need to season in a particular manner? Does ground turkey taste at all like ground beef when prepared as a burger or should I set my expectations low and just be glad I have something close? LOL Might be a dumb question but I have no one else to ask.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    No, it's not going to taste like ground beef. Adding seasoning will add flavor (and you can add whatever you'd like), but don't expect it to taste like a burger.

Are you avoiding red meat for a reason? If you just think you are making a healthier choice, you might check out this article:

http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/nutrition-101/nutrition-questions-tips-00412000071626/page6.html
  • Sonnie124
    Sonnie124 Posts: 99
    Options
    I am having a huge craving for a burger so I purchased my first ever pack of ground turkey. My question is do I need to season in a particular manner? Does ground turkey taste at all like ground beef when prepared as a burger or should I set my expectations low and just be glad I have something close? LOL Might be a dumb question but I have no one else to ask.

I love ground turkey and wont eat ground beef at all now. I use 1 pk ground turkey, 2 tsp montreal seasonings, 1/4 cup water and 1 cup lowfat shredded cheddar cheese and it makes 4-5 burgers. It is very good. I use turkey for everything.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    I love the taste of turkey, but I do flavor it to help keep it moist. I like to add chopped onion and celery, with an egg white, some mustard, garlic, and chipotle seasoning.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I love turkey burgers, but when I want a real burger -- I eat a beef one.

You can season it however you want, my current favorite is to mix in some fresh dill, carmelized onions, garlic powder, and salt/pepper to taste. It's poultry, not beef, so any seasoning combinations you like with poultry will taste good in a turkey burger.
  • KrystieNye
    KrystieNye Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It won't taste like ground beef, but it IS really good. I actually prefer turkey burgers to regular burgers. Normally, I will either sprinkle a little bit of onion salt or garlic salt onto the patties before I cook them...but it just depends on your taste. :)
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've realized that turkey burgers aren't THAT much less than the lean ground beef. I just like to buy the ones that are already made into patties, so I know EXACTLY how many calories they are. On the turkey burger, I like to put Lawry's seasoning salt on it. (Just as I do w/ the regular burger....) VERY tasty. :)
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    It doesn't taste the same. If I really want a burger, I buy extra lean beef (96/4). That's only once every few weeks or so. I do use ground turkey in chili, spaghetti, etc. where the sauce flavors it.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    I eat ground turkey and chicken because I don't (can't) eat red meat.

I season it the same, but the flavour is a bit milder than beef. I find it delicious. For homemade burgers, I usually take a pound, add a whole egg, bread crumbs to bind, and salt, pepper and garlic to season. Grill as you would a burger, and ensure they are fully cooked before eating.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're doing, and how you like it! When I make turkey burgers, I put it in a bowl and make a well. I addGourmet burger seasoning and a TBSP or two of Dijon or spicy mustard. Mix well and form burgers. They're really delicious. :)
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I add sea salt and garlic powder. Family loves them!
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    try this - mix some salsa in with the ground turkey before you make the patties. salsa turkey burgers!
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I love experimenting with turkey burgers. My favorite so far has been chopped raw spinach and gorgonzola cheese.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I love experimenting with turkey burgers. My favorite so far has been chopped raw spinach and gorgonzola cheese.

YUM!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like turkey burgers, but they do not taste like a beef hamburger. Not at all. And IMO they need a lot more seasoning. I also shred a fresh onion into the meat and add a splash of olive oil to give it moisture (I do this with lean ground beef too).
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend cooking on a pan rather than a bbq or grill. Turkey drys out much faster than beef. I'd also season it more than you would season beef, ground turkey is pretty bland. The other poster is right it's never going to taste like a traditional beef burger, but you don't have to set your sights low- it can taste very good if you cook it right.

To spice it up even more, consider non-traditional burger toppings. I like to sprinkle my turkey burger with a little Feta cheese for some extra deliciousness :)
  • jenkidney
    jenkidney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey for quite a few things instead of beef. I just season it like I usually would (ie - taco season on tacos, lemon pepper for pasta dishes, etc). Personally, I try to sub out chicken or turkey for beef just because for my body red meat makes it harder for me to lose weight. I only eat it here and there. Sometimes you just need a burger in your world!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you get your ground turkey it can be about the same as ground beef (or sometimes worse if you use the leanest ground beef). Depending on what part of the turkey they are grinding up, and how fat their birds are. Butterball turkey is always a little higher in fat.

That being said, a good trick so you know what is in your turkey is to buy skinless boneless turkey breasts and grind it yourself... All you need is a food processor.

I personally can't stand the taste of ground turkey. I will just go with the extra lean ground beef if I want a burger...OR get yourself a veggie burger. There are some veggie burgers out there that are so good!
  • memmers
    memmers Posts: 112
    Options
    It taste similar but i actually perfer turkey burger. I cant notice the difference when i put it in chili or spaghetti. I do add a few spices some salt n pepper maybe a little garlic powder. They do tend to get dry since theres not a lot of fat so i will add a little bit of olive oil. Good luck!!
  • AFreeheart
    AFreeheart Posts: 87 Member
    Options

Quality of ground turkey varies much more than the quality of ground beef.
    Ground white turkey is much healthier and tastier than ground brown turkey.

The ground turkey that comes fresh from the meat dept. display case is much, much better than the kind that comes in frozen tubes or frozen patties.

Turkey burgers should be made thinner than beef burgers.

I like to season turkey burgers or turkey crumbles (for sauces or pasta dishes) with basil,oregano, and/or black pepper.
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    A beef burger will taste like a beef burger and a turkey burger will taste like a turkey burger. I love them both and never tried to get one to taste like the other. You can dress them up the same. However I prefer my turkey burgers without cheese. Working from ground turkey you can try chopped onions, black pepper, and a little marjoram seasoning.

I say try it, you may like it