Jello and horse hoofs????

Options
:grumble: Has anyone ever heard that Jello, yogurt and Puddings are made by using horse hoofs??? What the heck??:noway: My co-worker told me that today while I was thinking about having a yogurt...I could not eat it afterwards.

Replies

• Shuutnstar
    Shuutnstar Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've heard that too but it's GOTTA be a myth... right??:ohwell:
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin

Gelatin (from French gélatine) is a translucent, colourless, brittle, nearly tasteless solid substance, derived from the collagen inside animals' skin and bones. It is commonly used as a gelling agent in food, pharmaceuticals, photography, and cosmetic manufacturing. Substances containing gelatin or functioning in a similar way are called gelatinous. Gelatin is an irreversibly hydrolyzed form of collagen. Gelatin is classified as a foodstuff, with E number E441. It is in some "gummy" candies as well as other products such as marshmallows, Jell-O, and some low-fat yoghurt. Some dietary customs forbid the use of gelatin from animal sources, and medical issues may limit or prevent its consumption by certain people.

Gelatin is a protein produced by partial hydrolysis of collagen extracted from the bones, connective tissues organs, and some intestines of animals such as domesticated cattle, pigs, and horses. The natural molecular bonds between individual collagen strands are broken down into a form that rearranges more easily. Gelatin melts when heated and solidifies when cooled again. Together with water, it forms a semi-solid colloid gel. Gelatin forms a solution of high viscosity in water, which sets to a gel on cooling, and its chemical composition is, in many respects, closely similar to that of its parent collagen. [1] Gelatin solutions show viscoelastic flow and streaming birefringence. If gelatin is put into contact with cold water, some of the material dissolves. The solubility of the gelatin is determined by the method of manufacture. Typically, gelatin can be dispersed in a relatively concentrated acid. Such dispersions are stable for 10–15 days with little or no chemical changes and are suitable for coating purposes or for extrusion into a precipitating bath. Gelatin is also soluble in most polar solvents. Gelatin gels exist over only a small temperature range, the upper limit being the melting point of the gel, which depends on gelatin grade and concentration and the lower limit, the ice point at which ice crystallizes.

Because the collagen is processed extensively, the final product is not categorized as a meat or animal product by the US federal government

dunno ? :ohwell:
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    :grumble: Has anyone ever heard that Jello, yogurt and Puddings are made by using horse hoofs??? What the heck??:noway: My co-worker told me that today while I was thinking about having a yogurt...I could not eat it afterwards.

Gelatin in the common form is made from cow hooves, I have no Idea where the horse hooves comes in.

Good brands of Yogurt have no gelatin in them. check your ingredients.
  • czewwhat
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin

Gelatin (from French gélatine) is a translucent, colourless, brittle, nearly tasteless solid substance, derived from the collagen inside animals' skin and bones. It is commonly used as a gelling agent in food, pharmaceuticals, photography, and cosmetic manufacturing. Substances containing gelatin or functioning in a similar way are called gelatinous. Gelatin is an irreversibly hydrolyzed form of collagen. Gelatin is classified as a foodstuff, with E number E441. It is in some "gummy" candies as well as other products such as marshmallows, Jell-O, and some low-fat yoghurt. Some dietary customs forbid the use of gelatin from animal sources, and medical issues may limit or prevent its consumption by certain people.

Gelatin is a protein produced by partial hydrolysis of collagen extracted from the bones, connective tissues organs, and some intestines of animals such as domesticated cattle, pigs, and horses. The natural molecular bonds between individual collagen strands are broken down into a form that rearranges more easily. Gelatin melts when heated and solidifies when cooled again. Together with water, it forms a semi-solid colloid gel. Gelatin forms a solution of high viscosity in water, which sets to a gel on cooling, and its chemical composition is, in many respects, closely similar to that of its parent collagen. [1] Gelatin solutions show viscoelastic flow and streaming birefringence. If gelatin is put into contact with cold water, some of the material dissolves. The solubility of the gelatin is determined by the method of manufacture. Typically, gelatin can be dispersed in a relatively concentrated acid. Such dispersions are stable for 10–15 days with little or no chemical changes and are suitable for coating purposes or for extrusion into a precipitating bath. Gelatin is also soluble in most polar solvents. Gelatin gels exist over only a small temperature range, the upper limit being the melting point of the gel, which depends on gelatin grade and concentration and the lower limit, the ice point at which ice crystallizes.

:ohwell:

Horses are not used in the human food chain in the USA. France and a few others do however use it. Even the meat. It is allowed in Dog food, In the USA
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Direct quote from online research:

"....Contrary to common belief, gelatin is not manufactured from horns or hooves or meat of animals, for these do not contain the necessary collagen"

http://users.rcn.com/sue.interport/food/gelatin.html
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    :huh: I guess I can't eat that ever again...yuck, just the thought of it...this saddens me:sad:
  • czewwhat
    Options
    Direct quote from online research:

"....Contrary to common belief, gelatin is not manufactured from horns or hooves or meat of animals, for these do not contain the necessary collagen"

http://users.rcn.com/sue.interport/food/gelatin.html

Snopes.com says bones and hide of cows and pigs. ask at snopes, no hooves!
  • Magenta15
    Options
    nope no hooves, just skin and bones and stuff lol:laugh:
  • robbienjill
    Options
    lol...just looked at my spelling. I meant hooves not hoofs...:ohwell: lol
  • Shoshannah
    Options
    Anyone who's ever made soup from beef on the bones (or any other animal) is well acquainted with how gelatin is made. When the soup is cooled, the jelly-like substance forms on the top of the soup, and the fat is hardened on top of that. Gelatin is made by boiling the bones of the animal, which, in most cases, is bovine (cattle) in the US, and skimming the gelatinous substance. It's not gross; it's just a particular part of soup!

For those who are not vegan/vegetarian, this is a good source of protein, if made by reputable companies, and not laden with HFCS/sucrose and chemical dyes.

All the best on your journey!!

:flowerforyou:
  • Magenta15
    Options
    Anyone who's ever made soup from beef on the bones (or any other animal) is well acquainted with how gelatin is made. When the soup is cooled, the jelly-like substance forms on the top of the soup, and the fat is hardened on top of that. Gelatin is made by boiling the bones of the animal, which, in most cases, is bovine (cattle) in the US, and skimming the gelatinous substance. It's not gross; it's just a particular part of soup!

For those who are not vegan/vegetarian, this is a good source of protein, if made by reputable companies, and not laden with HFCS/sucrose and chemical dyes.

All the best on your journey!!

well put!:smile:
  • robbienjill
    Options
    Makes since!!! Great comparison with the soup:heart: . But I am a non-meat eater sooooooo. oh well.
  • Shoshannah
    Options
    Makes sense!!! Great comparison with the soup:heart: . But I am a non-meat eater sooooooo. oh well.

All is not lost!! Yogurt and pudding is not made from gelatin unless you buy commercial products such as Jell-O. You can buy all natural yogurts and can make pudding yourself so that the ingredients are controlled, if you consume dairy. There may be alternative vegan/vegetarian recipes, and we are dairy-free, but have not explored this yet.

• robbienjill
    Options
    funny you should mention the pudding. My husband just finished chowing down on Jello sugar free vanilla pudding. I laughed as he ate it, but inside I know it tasted ohhhhhh so good.:embarassed: