One long workout versus two shorter workouts

Options
Hey everyone!

Been using MFP for a couple months now, but have never posted until now. I'm hoping someone on here can help clear something up for me.

I'm a teacher and am getting ready to go back to work. Since I've had the summer off, I've been very diligent about exercising every day and I feel great! I typically work out for 40-50 minutes. Once school starts again, I have to decide where I'm going to fit exercise into my busy schedule. My concern is that when I come home from work, I'm not going to want to work out for 40-50 minutes. Would I still get the same health/calorie burning benefits if I worked out for, say, 20 minutes before work and then 20 minutes after work? Or is it better to just work out for the straight 40-50 minutes?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    a lot of research now states that for health benefits 30 min a day is all you need and it doesn't matter if it's broken in two, or 3 as long as you do it...

however if you are looking for weight loss I don't know if this would still be the case as i would think you burn more cal the longer and harder you work consecutively?

would have to research it a bit, I am sure someone on here has the answer :smile:
  • stang41992
    stang41992 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow teacher! We had our first day back today :sad:
    I have read many articles supporting the idea of doing broken up exercises; it can be just as effective as one long one. Also, if you exercise in the morning and then later in the day it will probably keep you thinking about what you are eating throughout the day so you don't ruin your progress. And it can keep you thinking about the workout to come so you won't eat anything too heavy. I've never tried this (cannot get out of bed before 6:30) but oxygen magazine talks about it. I highly recommend that magazine. Many helpful tips and tools. Hope this helps!
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    OH i am a teacher too with similiar problem. I use the summer to really boost my fitness. I try to do as much as I can, even if I get up at 5:00 am .
  • twilight1542
    Options
    I have a hectic work schedule so morning is a no-go for me. I deal w/evening workouts by not allowing myself excuses. I bring an FRS low calorie energy drink to work with me in case I need a pick me up-almost always need a pick me up :)...

So I think whatever works for you is best! All that matters is that you find something that works...BTW- I'm not a teacher, but I supervise home & school based ABA programs for children w/Autism-my day can be 7:30-7 & anywhere in between. With most of my kids having already returned to school I feel your pain .
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Two shorter workouts should be fine from a health and weight loss standpoint. Your "fitness conditioning" might be a little different (e.g. maintain/increase intensity but maybe endurance decreases a little) but that is an esoteric difference, not a real one.
  • nali_12
    nali_12 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've read sometimes 2 shorter ones can be better as they gear up your metabolism at two different times instead of just once!? I'm sure anything you do will be better than nothing. Just work hard during both of those workouts! Good luck!
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I like to workout 2 times a day. I walk 3 miles in the morning and 2 miles at night. I just started a new part time job last week. I am now walking 4 miles in the morning on the days I work and my off days I walk the 5 miles broken up into morning/evening walks. I homeschool my 10 year old daughter. When we start School in September I'll have to get up earlier on my work days to walk those 4 miles. I think that exercise is great however you can fit it in. Have fun.. Cindy :heart:
  • Ginger0120
    Ginger0120 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone for all your replies! Sounds like two shorter workouts may not be such a bad idea. I'm still going to plan on working out all at once since that's what I have been doing, but I feel good knowing that it's okay to split them up if I need to!

Thanks again, everyone!