Does it have to be WHEY protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Personally I can't do dairy, so whey is out. And Soy interferes with my thyroid medication, so I use a plant based protein powder and love it.

What do you use? I can't do dairy and soy messes with my hormone levels but i haven't been able to find anything else :(

I know people who use coconut protein powder. I use whey and coconut sounds disgusting, but it's an alternative that I've heard of...
    As long as its not in the form of dried coconut, it is yum :p

I'm not big on coconut and I really like the Careone chocolate whey stuff, that's all. :p

One scoop of that, two cups of milk, and a cup of frozen raspberries and I'm all set.

pea protein is another choice
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I hold to the notion that soy is not proper to eat unless it is fermented, ie, natto, soy sauce, etc...
    I also believe that the whey should not be an isolate. But of course others may disagree on this. You can read about whey protein on www.mercola.com to see what form of whey dr mercola thinks is best...i trust his opinion:)
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    They are both complete proteins... Meaning they both contain the essential amino acids. Whey is made by cheese/milk products and soy by soybeans. Soy protein also contains phytoestrogens, which increase estrogen in the body and is main reason many bodybuilders generally avoid using it.

If you are Lactose intolerant then use Soy. If not then either is fine.

There is no lactose in Whey....NONE

All i will say is view the link and let me know if you see the word Whey in it.
    That is ALL.

http://ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=lactose
  • AnisaMG
    AnisaMG Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Personally I can't do dairy, so whey is out. And Soy interferes with my thyroid medication, so I use a plant based protein powder and love it.

What do you use? I can't do dairy and soy messes with my hormone levels but i haven't been able to find anything else :(

I am using a Sequal Vanilla product. But any health food store, or organic grocery store will have plant based Proteins for sale.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If you can't do dairy because you are allergic to the actual protein itself, then yes stay away from whey-based proteins. However, if you are allergic to the sugar from milk, lactose, you can still purchase whey protein isolate or milk protein isolate. The processing for both of these make them virtually lactose-free and are considered quite safe for those with even severe lactose intolerance.

I personally can't do plant-based protein powders because they either have 1 or several of the following issues for me: 1)horrible taste; 2)poor mixing ability; and (3) undesirable chalky texture. For the record, yes I've tried Vega, Sun Warrior, and other popular and very pricey brands and find them to have at least one if not more of the mentioned traits.