Do you force yourself to eat breakfast?

Options
2»

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I NEVER wake up hungry. Ever. In fact, I found that eating breakfast really makes me queezy. Because I know that it's essential to eat breakfast, I start the day off with something light (apple sauce and toast, banana and granola, yogurt, etc.) then follow up with something a little more dense later in order to avoid feeling comfortable for the rest of the day.
    Did you read any of the above comments? It is NOT essential to eat breakfast.

Also, why would you want to avoid feeling comfortable?
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    No, I WANT to eat in the morning. It's one of those things I look forward to while getting ready in the morning such as the warm shower.

^^^^^ This!!!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No, I never force myself to eat. Except perhaps when a friend or relative has prepared something that I don't really like but can't avoid without seeming rude.

But, I'm not much of a breakfast person. And when I do eat it I always want to eat more throughout the day. It doesn't matter what I eat, once I've broken that seal, I just want to keep eating.
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am not someone who wants to get up and eat in the morning. Some days I go a couple of hours until I actually eat something. Some days I force myself to eat, even though I am not nor will I ever be hungry in the morning. Is there a happy medium? anyone else out there like me? Do you just go ahead and eat anyway? Any advice would be appreciated.

Why would you force yourself to eat if you're not hungry in the morning?

Because 90% of what you read about eating healthy is about eating breakfast and how your metabolism doesn't start to move until you eat something...

I probably wouldn't eat until two or three in the afternoon if I didn't make myself eat something in the morning.

Then I'd start to read the other 10% that is accurate. Your metabolism doesn't stop nor does it need "jumpstarting" or whatever buzzword you want to assign to it.

There is nothing wrong with waiting till 2 or 3 to eat your first meal, it won't hinder your weight loss at all.

This is correct. I remember I used to consume several hundred calories for breakfast because I had heard the same stupid myths. I am never hungry in the morning so I don't normally eat and it leaves me with extra calories in the evening when I am hungry. Works great and makes sense. Don't make things more complex than needs be.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Because 90% of what you read about eating healthy is about eating breakfast and how your metabolism doesn't start to move until you eat something...

I probably wouldn't eat until two or three in the afternoon if I didn't make myself eat something in the morning.

I wonder if you'd listened to your body and not eaten until 2 or 3 in the afternoon if you might never have needed MFP. :ohwell:
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I used to be a no-breakfast person. I mean, wouldn't eat anything until noon. I had to train myself to eat breakfast starting with one vitamuffin. Eventually, I progressed to oatmeal. pb on whole wheat toast. Cereal with greek yogurt. Now, when I wake up, I'm starving and happy to eat breakfast.

Your body is very trainable. It's about whether you think the breakfast would help you throughout the day. If I don't eat breakfast, I can't exercise or, I overeat for lunch to the point where I'm bursting and it takes me hours before I can do an afternoon exercise.
  • LindaSue70
    Options
    My daughter who is also dieting told me to either eat some greek yogurt or some small dill pickles when I first get up in the morning. I then have my coffee and after about an hour I will eat ceareal and fruit. I was one who had to force myself to eat any meal at all, but its getting easier.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I get stomach cramps if I eat early in the morning. I wake up at 7:30am and i started my apple and peanut butter at 9:30 and had to stretch it out to 10:30... took me an hour to eat an apple because I got stomach cramps.
    Usually i wait till 10am or 10:30 to eat breakfast but it was starring at me.
  • lauravasseur
    Options

I wonder if you'd listened to your body and not eaten until 2 or 3 in the afternoon if you might never have needed MFP. :ohwell:

Doubt it, the only reason I am a bit overweight now is because I never dropped the weight with my fourth and last baby. I am trying to change my eating habits now, never ate in the morning before and was wondering if I needed to now that I am trying to eat healthier. That's all, but thanks for the smart *kitten* remark
  • lauravasseur
    Options
    Thank you for all of the advice. I think I will stick to what my body is telling me and not eat until I am hungry. Thank you again.
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I never used to eat anything at breakfast. Now, if I don't eat something by 9AM, my stomach is yapping at me until I eat.
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    Nope, I never force myself to eat. I eat when my body tells me I'm hungry.
  • jrrrbear48
    jrrrbear48 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, looks like this thread died. sadly I don’t know if I am pleased with the responses so far, I mean Kudos to you all for at least putting something down. However, there is a point that is overlooked. for me at least, I am not among the 3% who are already skinny looking to shave the final dress size for whatever reason. No I am a tub - a - lard. I am huge and I have been fat for as long as I can remember. My eating habits are totally based on feelings. I don’t feel hungry to me doesn't mean is my stomach not growling it means my emotions are not demanding calories. on the other hand 85% of my waking day is very emotional and that demands I have chocolate or whatever I can get my hands on. so, my point is what is healthy? should I force myself to eat in the morning regardless of how I feel?
    Now I have only been religious about my diet for a few months, doctor says my diabetes is so out of control they fear I may loose my kidneys if I cant buckle down so no this is not about dress sizes for me. however I have found a huge meal of protein mixed with say 12 grams of fiber will likely so stuff me for about 6 hours that it only leads to success for the rest of the day. No I wake up and can barely handle the water I have to drink with my pills, I don’t feel like eating I don’t feel like cooking. but lately its been egg salad sandwich on Power Seed bread and I am feeling pretty good for that. Oh well. I think that we ought to plan our meals, eat them at regular times and divorce our self from how we "feel" in eating. I might be in a pipe dream but my goal is that perhaps one day when I am in an emotional fix I can totally ignore the desire to run for chocolate. does this make sense? don’t know how to get that cool "I lost this many pounds" in my signature but I am down to 228 from 235 in 14 days. I hope I am doing this stuff right.