My First Half Marathon!!!

Options
JennaM222
JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
2:36:45

I Ran my first half marathon this weekend in Duluth, MN. Grandmas. People were there from ALL over the country and WORLD even.

I started out my training March 26, 2012. I followed my training up to early may, and then just stopped. I’d do some runs here and there, but never ran more than 5 miles. Literally, I never have. Then, Race day was here.

We headed out Friday morning from MPLS and arrived to beautiful Duluth, MN in about 2 hours. Friday night we watched princess diaries & Mean Girls in our hotel. We gossiped, laughed, ate cold pasta and chips, and tried to get to bed at a decent time.

3:45 AM sat Morning my alarm is going off. Holy (insert every swear word in the book) It is race day. I put my face on, put my gel glide on, clipped my chip and bib on, and then it was time to load onto the shuttles.

It was a beautiful morning. I couldn’t have asked for a better day running 13.1 along Lake Superior. The sun was shining and the humidity wasn’t a bother. We are in line with 7,000 something other people ready to take off. At this point I was ready to either puke, pee, or poop my pants I was so nervous.

BANG the gun sounds and we start to move. Miles 1-4 were actually the toughest for me. All I thought about was hitting mile 6 and I could consider myself half way there. Mile 6. Omg, I love you mile 6. This is when I really felt like I was going to do this. I AM doing this.

Mile 7. Stop to walk a bit. OUCH did that hurt. Walking hurt more than running….who would have thought? I wanted to stop so many times, but I seriously couldn’t. My body kicked my mind’s *kitten*. Just KEEP going, and I did.

Mile 12. I have never been happier to see this number on a piece of paper before in my life. It hurts. My blisters are killing me, and my knees want to give out. THEN I see the finish line.

People are cheering for me, I am almost there. Holy crap, I just ran 13.1 miles. Tears welled up in my eyes. I DID IT. I freakin’ did it.

http://www.mtecresults.com/runner/videoResults?rid=16372&race=735

(Purple long sleeves crossing second in the video)

The above video is me crossing the finish line. I NEVER in my life thought that I could ever complete a half marathon. I am so darn proud of myself, and my team of girls who raced together. My mother, at age 57, ran and finished in 2:13. She is AMAZING. My Official chip finish time was 2:36:45 and I am damn proud of that.

NewImage-3.jpg

Oh, and Of course we had a plethora of beers after to celebrate!

"Anything is possible, but you have to believe and you have to fight."

Replies

• morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    LIKE!!!!

Awesome work!!
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Awesome job. I know how it feels. I hope this is the first of many
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Video is gone.
  • JennaM222
    Options
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I love it! My next goal is a 10K and then I will aim for this!! Thanks for the inspiration, I WILL do this :)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    There you are! AWESOME JOB!!!!!
  • JennaM222
    Options
    There you are! AWESOME JOB!!!!!

Thank you!!! It was an awesome experience, Cant wait for the next one!
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    That's quite impressive! Nice job.
  • pregmeg119
    pregmeg119 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Very nice!! Great job.
  • JennaM222
    Options
    I love it! My next goal is a 10K and then I will aim for this!! Thanks for the inspiration, I WILL do this :)

YES, you CAN and WILL!!!!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!! :))
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Great Job! YOu did it!!! congrats!
  • NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member
    Options
    Jenna - thanks for the awesome and inspirational post!
  • tashmahal
    tashmahal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing this! I'll be running my first half in October and I'm very nervous. This definitely put my mind at ease.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome. There is a half marathon in my future. Just haven't decided when yet!!
  • berv0009
    berv0009 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I am so proud of you, Jenna!!!

YOU DID IT!!!!!!!! :)

We did it. So much fun!

Can't wait for next year!!!
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon when I was 13 and my first full when I was 15! They are fun!! Feel awesome when you finish! CONGRATS
  • lynnprice
    lynnprice Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!!!!!
  • jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! What an awesome accomplishment!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!