Fire my trainer?

2»

Replies

• siriusalien
    siriusalien Posts: 207
    I think you should definitely talk to him - tell him what you want out of the training. If it does not work out, you should hire another trainer. I would be unhappy too about paying someone to watch me run on the treadmill.

Just to share my experience with a trainer - my husband engaged a trainer for me last month to help me start out my weight loss journey. We meet twice a week. First session we do cardio, but I don't spend any time on the treadmill or elliptical (except for a warm-up which I do before the session). The cardio is high intensity interval training - I do exercises which I would never do on my own and his job is to make sure that I do them right and I push myself. For example we do walking lunges with weights, jumping jacks, throw the medicine ball while running sideways, burpees etc. He usually has these sessions planned in advanced and I pretty much hate doing them.

The second session we do weights. I had told him before that my aim was to get comfortable using the free weights and weight machines. This is main reason for me for having a trainer - learning to use the weights. After each the weight session (which he records), he writes out what I did so I can repeat it during the week. He notes what weight I am lifting at so he can see if I make progress in the future.

Hope this helps. I am new to my MFP and this is my first post - I don't even have a profile photo yet - sorry about that.

YES, that is what I had gotten used to with the first trainer
  • Thanks for the input. BELIEVE me,I have communicate from the start and getting louder that I want weigh training. I'm told 1) not a good idea untill I get "My wind up" 2) the weight room is a crowded mess
    The only weights I've worked are hand dumbells. There is a circut of machines, but since they don't involve the stabilizer muscles I think there of little value

I understand the trainer's concern with cardiovascular endurance, but there is generally no reason you have to build up your cardio or "get your wind up" before moving to weights (with the exception being in the case of obesity to the point where joint injury is likely, but that is extreme.) Your trainer should try to work in all areas of fitness (cardio, strength, endurance, flexibilty

If you aren't happy, find a new trainer.
  • siriusalien
    siriusalien Posts: 207
    Thanks everyone! I called a spoke with the Gym Fitness Manager. He suggested that I allow him to come up with a train programm that he will share with my current trainer. He will tell my trainer that he reached out for me and I voiced my need for heavy weights.
    Lets try for 2 weeks