Skinny Fat!!!! How do I become Sexy Skinny!!!

Options
Ok sooo here is the thing.... I am a model so I am already tall and skinny. 5'10 123 lbs. But I have no muscle tone! I used to play college basketball and my body was AMAZING!!! but I looked just a tad to bulky in photos but when I worked out I couldn't stop gaining muscle. So I decided to stop working out for a little and let a little of my muscle deplete then maybe it would be easier for my muscles to tone instead of bulk... Well the slimming part worked I meet my measurements but now nothing I do will tone me. It seems as thothe parts of my body that used to be really muscular like my thighs triceps abs and back are just FLAB! How can I fix this. Everyone I talk to laughs because just looking at me i'm shiny but in pictures it really shows and this industry can be very cruel so it can be very embarrassing and discouraging at times.... Someone please help!!!

Replies

• Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    Sexy skinny sounds like an oxymoron to me!
  • arabracer
    arabracer Posts: 1
    Options
    I get what you are saying-I was the same for many years. Have you tried pilates or yoga?A lot of equestrians like these types exercises so they don't get too bulky.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

Ignorant.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I get what you are saying-I was the same for many years. Have you tried pilates or yoga?

Yep, I agree. These are great exercises to get the sinewy look of a dancer.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Sexy is just an opinion. Personally, I can think of a lot of sexy skinny women.
  • amekeel23
    amekeel23 Posts: 11
    Options
    Lol there is a skinny fast and a sexy skinny... For example... Victoria secret model...or the crack head that still has a doughnut around her waist and cottage cheese for thighs lol... Yes some people are ignorant.

And I did hot yoga for about a month which I loved which is about the only type of yoga I like simply because I am used to and like a more high intensity work out... The hot yoga worked great but classes are so expensive ... I haven't made it big time in my career YET... So income its still unstable at times...
    Besides that I eat great tons of proteins veggies and fruit. No sugar or salt unless naturally in the fruit. Nothing processed... But... Idk ... :/
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Weight lift. Lift HEAVY.

Yoga is awesome too.

I haven't done pilates, so I have no opinion there.

You must have a different definition of 'bulky' than I. It's hard to imagine you had much bulk from college basketball. You were probably fit and beautiful and hyper-critical (as in you saw bulk where none existed). You're also a woman, so it's very very unlikely that you can gain muscle mass fast. You just don't have enough testosterone. You might THINK you're gaining muscle mass fast, but it's probably just swelling in the muscles from being worked.

The opposite of flabby is fit, muscular, toned (a lot of people hate the word toned, but it works for me). You can't get opposite of flabby without working your muscles. You won't add muscle mass. You'll add strength and tightness where there wasn't any before. You'll look fantastic. So let go of your fears. Abandon the idea that you'll get 'bulky', and go for it.
  • LabRat529
    Options
    Also, just my opinion, but perhaps you should think of alternative careers? 5'10 and 123 lbs puts you at an unhealthy BMI. I know that's what you've got to do to be a model, but is it worth it? It makes me a little sad that you have to be sooooooooo thin. Of course you're having trouble toning. Your body isn't going to repair those muscles (necessary to improve tone) when it doesn't have enough fat. Fat storage is an important part of being healthy. Too much fat, of course, is unhealthy, but you need some and I can't imagine you've got much at 5'10 and 123 lbs.

I really wish society would stop seeing super skinny/unhealthy as the standard for runway model beauty. But that's a rant for another day.

Regardless, good luck with your journey. I'll stop preaching :D
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    Also, just my opinion, but perhaps you should think of alternative careers? 5'10 and 123 lbs puts you at an unhealthy BMI. I know that's what you've got to do to be a model, but is it worth it? It makes me a little sad that you have to be sooooooooo thin. Of course you're having trouble toning. Your body isn't going to repair those muscles (necessary to improve tone) when it doesn't have enough fat. Fat storage is an important part of being healthy. Too much fat, of course, is unhealthy, but you need some and I can't imagine you've got much at 5'10 and 123 lbs.

I really wish society would stop seeing super skinny/unhealthy as the standard for runway model beauty. But that's a rant for another day.

Regardless, good luck with your journey. I'll stop preaching :D

Thank you... Exactly my thoughts but it's Monday and just don't have the patience to type it all out! Well said!
  • amekeel23
    Options
    Yes I guess bulky was the wrong word... I just had a very athletic build which would be great for foot modeling but my passion is for fashion... So I still need to be toned that's why I always say like Victoria secret models... I don't want to be toothpick skinny with no muscle and look sick that isn't my goal... But i'm not sure if you will know this but how long does it take to normally begin seeing results..
  • LabRat529
    Options
    But i'm not sure if you will know this but how long does it take to normally begin seeing results..

Months. I weight lift. I'm, of course, still obese, so my experience will be different than yours. However, I've been lifting heavy since January and I am just now getting to the point where I can SEE a difference. I started FEELING different very quickly, within a few weeks.

For yoga... I'd say also at least a couple of months. The secret is persistence and patience.

Yoga is nice because all you need is an open spot on the floor and maybe a mat. You don't have to take classes. Get a book from the library. Put on some music. Practice yoga.

Eat lots of protein and maybe your body will actually start directing that toward muscle repair.
  • amekeel23
    Options
    Lol I have always been "light weight" even when I was in college I barely over weighed 130 .. And was strong as an ox but never took any supplements. That's just how my body is... It shows everything easily wether its fat or muscle I have a very small bone frame... Maybe that's why... I really don't care how much I weigh ... I just want long lean muscle mass... TONED MUSCLE MASS! ... Not skin bones and flab...
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    weight lifting - heavy not barbie weights
    body weight strength training
    yoga
  • amekeel23
    Options
    Lol good! Barbie weights at embarrassing to me... Haha I feel like i'm doing nothing! So i'm glad I can actually LIFT
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amekeel23
    Options
    Bump?
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with the posters who said heavy weight lifting and it take a few months to see a real difference. I've been lifting heavy since last September and just now can see how far I've come from skinny fat to not skinny fat.
  • BineB
    BineB Posts: 5
    Options
    Try bodyrock.tv or just do 4-Minutes Tabatas (look that up on Youtube).
    That stuff really works for me!
  • amekeel23
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with the posters who said heavy weight lifting and it take a few months to see a real difference. I've been lifting heavy since last September and just now can see how far I've come from skinny fat to not skinny fat.

Do you have any specific workouts you do for your core or anything you can suggest period??:)
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy things.