drop that? pick up......

Options
MsNewBooty83
MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
Hey guys, I'm feeling a bit like a puffer fish after this weekend and im considering tracking my sodium (would that be the right one to choose?) I seem to come in over on my fiber everyday without any effort. so i was thinking of dropping that and picking up a different nutrient to track. carbs, fat , protien, sugar and fiber are what im looking at right now. wondering what you all track and why? also if you could tell me the benefits to tracking sodium? im not the greatest with all the foodie things. thanks friends :D

Replies

• MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    It certainly wouldn't hurt to track your sodium, especially if you are feeling a little bloated.

I track my carbs, fat, protein, fibre and Vit C. As a smoker I need to take in more Vit C than the next person.
  • IllianaIman
    IllianaIman Posts: 131
    Options
    I track my carbs, fat, protein, cholesterol and fiber. To be honest with you, I really don’t know why exactly, but my PCD asked me to have a lot of fiber, less cholesterol and you def want low carbs and fat in your diet ( which is exactly what I have the most) 
    Sorry, I am in no help!
    :huh:
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I loosely track my sodium. I keep a very, very close watch on my fat, because I have cholesterol issues.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    .... I track everything. It's there where I can see it. If I am consistently over on something and I think it might be a problem, I go to my dairy and see what is contributing and find a way to substitute or eliminate it.

I am routinely over on my fats to try to get to my protein goals, but so far that hasn't lead to any problems. When I first started I was doubling the recommended sodium, and I have adjusted my eating habits to get those to normal ranges.
  • benzie314
    benzie314 Posts: 12
    Options
    Tracking sodium is not a bad idea but how much water are you dirinking? Water follows salt so if you are taking in alot of salt then your body is holding in the water unless you are giving your body more water with the salt. That is why garggeling with salt water makes a sore throat feel better :)
  • Ninja_Bunny
    Ninja_Bunny Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sodium all the way!:drinker:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I track my sodium because it sneaks up on me - especially if I eat at a restaurant. It was a real eye-opener when I starting tracking it, and helps me stay mindful of the high-sodium foods I tend to eat, and if I do eat them, I make sure I drink extra water.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I honestly see no reason to track fiber, but I've never had a reason to.

I track sodium and protein mostly. As long as I'm eating my protein recommendation, there's not a lot of room left over for carbs :)
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    thanks for answering my post guys! im famous for going over on sugars for sure, so i have to keep that one, lol. im gonna try to drop the fiber and see what happens. im not concerned with going over on it and i think i am retaining water like crazy...but then again, this wknd was exceptinally disgusting food and beverage wise, lol. :drinker:
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    sodium is an important electrolyte that provides a lot of health benefits to your body, but when consumed in large quantities can cause issues with high blood pressure and bloating (aka, water retention). I would definitely track your sodium and just be sure you stay under the 2500 mg per day and if you go over be sure to drink extra water. Bloating can also be caused by dehydration because your body will hold onto what little water you're getting (and be sure it's water or even tea that your drinking and not a bunch of diet soda or other diet drinks as it is still unknown how artificial sweeteners affect your weight loss)