Replies

• azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing hormones in our food.
  • Beleren
    Beleren Posts: 142
    Options
    For those of you with a diagnosis of PCOS, did any of you have regular periods?

I used to. I started taking birth control about 4 years ago, and stopped about 8 months ago. Now I get it once every two months.
  • Beleren
    Options
    PCOS is becoming more and more common,

yes... that seems to be the case... but I wonder why...

It's probably a multitude of reasons, unfortunately.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    For those of you with a diagnosis of PCOS, did any of you have regular periods?

before I developed it yes. After no. I do now though through the help of Metformin and birth control.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    PCOS is becoming more and more common,

yes... that seems to be the case... but I wonder why...

Every doctor I've seen since I've been diagnosed think it may be genetic. My sister has it as well though she is not required to take metformin.
  • Lornajune
    Lornajune Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    my period was sporadic, it came every couple of months and then it would be 6 months later....
    Now that I have been diagnosed with PCOS I have a regular period with Metformin and birth control and was able to concieve a child last year, with one ovary and at 35. Dr. says I beat the odds :D
  • submarinewife07
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 14.. 22 now... I've always had ups and downs with my weight...all they did for me back then was birth control... When I was 13 I had a large overian cyst rupture....and at the time started gaining weight very quickly. I was 175 and only 5 foot...the whole first year of hs was horrible... That summer after freshmen year I managed to get down to 127... And 125 though all of hs... After I graduated it was all down hill from there... I stayed at 200 till now... As I'm trying to get the weight off due to a nerve injury due to my pregnancy with my daughter. The main advice I can tell you is do get an ultra sound..bc there may be scar tissue that will cause complications if you get pregnant one day. One of the reasons is an ectopic pregnancy where the egg released can start growing in your Fallopian tube. Scar tissue can also cause pain during a menstral cycle. Me personally....I have this issue..lol.. But mine can last up to 2 weeks of heavy bleeding.what I've noticed tho with dieting...is all about moderation...and staying away from starches... Im not saying low carb..because lord knows I prefer low calorie...I can eat more.lol. Once a week I allow myself 1starch... Such as potato chips or mashed red potatoes...pasta..but I try to keep in my calorie limit. I hope everything goes well. And the best thing to do is get as much info as you can about it. It's not as bad as it sounds...we're just a little different than other women. Keep positive! I really hope this helps....
  • Beleren
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 14.. 22 now... I've always had ups and downs with my weight...all they did for me back then was birth control... When I was 13 I had a large overian cyst rupture....and at the time started gaining weight very quickly. I was 175 and only 5 foot...the whole first year of hs was horrible... That summer after freshmen year I managed to get down to 127... And 125 though all of hs... After I graduated it was all down hill from there... I stayed at 200 till now... As I'm trying to get the weight off due to a nerve injury due to my pregnancy with my daughter. The main advice I can tell you is do get an ultra sound..bc there may be scar tissue that will cause complications if you get pregnant one day. One of the reasons is an ectopic pregnancy where the egg released can start growing in your Fallopian tube. Scar tissue can also cause pain during a menstral cycle. Me personally....I have this issue..lol.. But mine can last up to 2 weeks of heavy bleeding.what I've noticed tho with dieting...is all about moderation...and staying away from starches... Im not saying low carb..because lord knows I prefer low calorie...I can eat more.lol. Once a week I allow myself 1starch... Such as potato chips or mashed red potatoes...pasta..but I try to keep in my calorie limit. I hope everything goes well. And the best thing to do is get as much info as you can about it. It's not as bad as it sounds...we're just a little different than other women. Keep positive! I really hope this helps....
    Thank you so much!!
    my period was sporadic, it came every couple of months and then it would be 6 months later....
    Now that I have been diagnosed with PCOS I have a regular period with Metformin and birth control and was able to concieve a child last year, with one ovary and at 35. Dr. says I beat the odds :D

Your baby is so cute!! Congrats. :)