anyone with elliptical trainer knowledge please help

Options
Hi everyone. I've been using my new elliptical for 2 weeks. I am wondering after reading some articles whether or not i should be pushing and pulling with my arms because as of now i have been letting the machine do the arm work i am mainly just using my legs. I want to get the most out of my elliptical so let me know if i'm using it right Thanks

Replies

• jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I think the idea is you use both your arms and legs...Hence the full body workout..
  • WhiskeyCity
    WhiskeyCity Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Anything YOU do will burn more calories. So, yes, you should be pushing and pulling with your arms. If it then becomes too easy, or you find yourself going VERY fast, increase the resisistance.

I've owned my elliptical for years (but you'd never know it by lookin' at me) and I love it. I will alternate using my arms every 30 seconds or so during my workout. I won't do it for a full 30-minutes but, usually in the early part of the workout or if I'm getting bored, I'll use my arms alot. It will work your arms if you let it.
  • cmp_denver
    cmp_denver Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    An elliptical is a total body work-out machine. By using the arm handles you're working your biceps and triceps. I'd say if you have them, use them.
  • jmcdaniel0
    jmcdaniel0 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You should pull/push when possible... Another trick is to Free walk (Without using hands) This makes you body use your central core to hold your balance... I did this for an entire hour work out and my mid section was soooo sore... If you do a combination of Push/Pull, Run/Walk, and Free Walking, you can get a goof work out on one of those... Also, Do not forget, go in reverse (walk/Run Backwards) It will work a whole different set of muscles. Also, I like to set mine to interval training... That way it changes up the incline and resistance and random intervals... It keeps me working.

hope that helped some.
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I do both. Some days I want to push my legs harder and others i want to push my entire body harder. When I use my arms I usually will do an interval type of system.
  • agerena007
    agerena007 Posts: 51
    Options
    hey I have this machine and its 90% of my workout. I use the arm grip to keep my arms moving and if u use it long enough trust me you feel the burn in your arms. you are not required to use it but why not, to help tone your arms. good luck!! :wink: