Naked Bike Ride 2012 Portland, OR

Options
lbaileyjohannsen
lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
This Past Saturday night all of Portland stood out on the street to cheer on and high-five over 10,000 naked bicyclists! My husband and I went out next to our apartment building and it took an hour and a half for every single one to pass down SE Hawthorne Blvd. Portland has been doing this annually for a few years now, ever since someone figured out it's not illegal here to ride a bike naked!

The numbers have grown exponentially every time, and there were ALL SORTS of people participating. Men, women, fat, skinny, young, old. We even saw some families with young kids. It looked like such a blast, my husband and I are MAYBE thinking about joining in when we reach our goal weights. Here is an article and gallery of photos from Saturday night (NSFW)--

http://bikeportland.org/2012/06/17/lots-of-smiles-and-flesh-for-miles-the-2012-world-naked-bike-ride-photos-73404

So my questions for you are: Would you participate? I was telling my Dad about it and he asked me if there was a point to it other than exhibitionism, and I hadn't thought of it in that context. Do you consider it exhibitionism, or a more broad idea of self expression? Does nudity=sexuality? Would you look away or would you high-five/gently spank the passing nakedness?

Replies

• jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have participated in all night moonlight bike rides (Houston) and the thought of doing it naked seems really uncomfortable! But given some adaptations, it would be the sort of liberating statement that a nudist colony offers: we don't need no stinking clothes to cover up what we really are.

Still seems really uncomfortable though.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    If it were warmer..... Portland and Seattle are still damn cold this time of year!

I don't see nudity as equaling sexuality. I would high 5 people doing it, but not spank them.
  • laughingirl71
    laughingirl71 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I ride pretty regularly...and have no problem being naked....but DANG....I LOVE me some padded bike shorts between my special area and my bike seat!
  • falcon367
    falcon367 Posts: 116
    Options
    If it was a naked sun tanning ride perhaps, but isn't Portland a little cool at night?? I have no problem with nudity, in fact, I love it and can't wait to hit a nude beach with my new bod ... however, where does one put your junk for this? I mean, serious people ... you've seen the bike seats ... someone draw me a picture, cuz I'm struggling. LOL