30 Day Shred Substitute Exercises-apartment living

Options
I live in an upstairs apartment and have one down stairs neighbor. Nothing seperates us but a floor. I just began 30 day shred but have noticed it has a lot of jumping in it (jump rope, jumping jacks, butt kicks) I want to be considerate of my neighbor because he's a real nice guy who works late and sleeps in. I on the other hand have to do my exercise from the time I get up in the morning and no later than 11AM. I'm usually up and ready to work out by 9AM. What exercises can I do that do in place of the jumping ones that will be equally affective but won't bother my neighbor?

Replies

• Tribbey143
    Tribbey143 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    The first thing that comes to me is squat jumps, but without the jump. Also, in Ripped in 30 week 2 there is a whole bunch of plank cardio which is KILLER. Plank jacks, mountain climbers, and squat thrusts (I think that's what they're called lol) Would any of those work?

Good luck!
  • briebear77
    briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Haha you're nice. When I did ripped in 30 at my apartment I just did it lol.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Get a rug and do the workout with bare feet and land softly. I hope that helps
  • nauticaboo
    nauticaboo Posts: 38 Member
    Options

This. I live in a carpeted third apartment, and have no issues. For the jump ropes, and jumping jacks, sometimes I don't lift up off the ground, just do the bouncing motions.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    As long as its during the day, I say go for it and go all out. You pay to live there and have the right to live your life. Daylight hours are fair game. If your neighbor is cool, he won't mind that you are trying to improve yourself.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Could you speak to him and ask if it's bothering him at all? He probably hasn't even noticed if you haven't heard from him.
  • jennipea382
    jennipea382 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have a somewhat crabby neighbor downstairs and I've just done the workouts with no complaints (that I know of at least). I just try my best to land softly (and the carpet helps). For other cardio that doesn't involve jumping, you could try doing extra punches and marching/jogging in place.

And PP mentioned that if it's during the day, it should be fine. Of course it's great to be respectful, but as long as you're not being TOO loud, you're within your "rights". It's part of living in an apartment. Our next door neighbors were moving out recently and there was a good hour of banging and noises one night. If it went on any later I would have said something, but I wasn't sleeping yet so I just dealt with it. My cats also probably make as much noise running around as I would doing jumping jacks, so I'm not too concerned!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I think you're being awfully nice and it might not bother him at all...but shadow boxing comes to mind as well as football feet.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Actually even Jillian will remind you to land softly! :) It's better for your joints, I believe... So with the neighbor downstairs and that in mind, I'm sure you'll be fine!

As far as substitutes though, if you're still interested... running in place and squat jumping jacks (without the jump) are all that I can think of at the moment.
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

No, don't do it with bare feet!!! lol, that can really mess up your ankles, I just had a friend on here the other day mess her's up doing 30DS with no shoes on and has to stop doing it for a little while!
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I run in place and still do the jumping jack arms...feel it is a little lower impact as far as the floor noise...I have the same problem.
  • MarriSunshine
    Options
    I also live on an upstairs apartment and whenever I'm getting ready to workout I just text my neighbor and apologize to her for the thumps beforehand lol ....
  • raitch
    raitch Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of jogging/running in place instead of the big two-footed jumps, jumping jacks, mostly because I land softer if I jog for cardio and it's nicer on my joints. I would imagine it's softer on the floors, as well ;)
  • nataliefamily3
    Options
    Maybe marching in place holding weights. Fast step ups onto a step stool with arms straight up in air or weighted air punches.
  • uprightashley
    uprightashley Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That's what I've been doing too, or knee up arms up. An exercise I learned in slim in six. The range of motion isn't as big but its still movement.