Eating back calories.

Options
spoonful
spoonful Posts: 200 Member
I do not understand how this concept works. MFP tells me I have 1700 calories and that if I work out I can eat more. I love that and I do eat more. I love eating.

However...

If I scratch my butt my Fitbit tells me that I burned a bunch of calories doing it. I exercised a great deal today and I am net negative in terms of calories by a lot. I've burned almost 3000 calories and I am not even close to my 1700 yet. I'm saving some for movie snacks tonight.

Am I supposed to eat that many calories? I am not even hungry... yet. I will be when I go to bed. (don't start on me over that either... I cannot give up my cornflakes)

Anyway, could someone tell me how it works?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Its the age old question on this site. You have to look at the net gain. Your body needs at least 1500 cals. It is difficult at times to eat all the extra cals you've burnt. I guess every now and again its ok not too. But your body will go into starvation mode if you dont take enough calories, on a regular basis.

Allowance- 1700
    Exercise- 800
    Net gain- 900 or not enough, in total you must eat at least 2300 cals to have a minimum of 1500.

Apologies for the slightly patronising explanation, or if you remain confused.