hCG

Options
Has anyone tried the hCG diet?
I've been on it for 15 days and already have lost 17lbs.
It would be nice if someone out there on the same diet could lend some support. I really have to take it one day at a time and its hard!

Replies

• curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    what is the hCG diet?
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I had to look up what hCG was and I think you get hormone injections and eat a very low calorie diet - and they say you'll lose 1 to 3 lbs a day.

I've never been on it, and I know that for me this would not be a good choice. I'd get sick.

But I wish you well. Blessings!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    LOL whatttttt?!? AKA 'being pregnant'?? :huh: :laugh:
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    LOL whatttttt?!? AKA 'being pregnant'?? :huh: :laugh:

HAHAHAH! Except no bambino. That's funny.

BTW OP, SongByrd is a smart lady, she can give you good advice.
  • plumpgirl
    Options
    I don't do the injections. I chose the drops because needles freak me out.

hCG is the pregnancy hormone yes, but it does quite a bit.
    It opens your fat stores so you burn it up quickly, it also resets the hypothalamus to help you maintain your goal weight.
    You really don't get hungry and the only side effect for me has been one or two headaches my first week.
    And yes you do only get 500 very restricted calories a day but it doesn't feel that way.

I was terribly skeptical at first but its working.
    My body is doing great and most of my cravings have died away. But I never knew till now just what a big role food has played in my social life.
    No more eating out. No more lunches with friends or dinners with my husband. That has been my biggest struggle.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I don't do the injections. I chose the drops because needles freak me out.

hCG is the pregnancy hormone yes, but it does quite a bit.
    It opens your fat stores so you burn it up quickly, it also resets the hypothalamus to help you maintain your goal weight.
    You really don't get hungry and the only side effect for me has been one or two headaches my first week.
    And yes you do only get 500 very restricted calories a day but it doesn't feel that way.

I was terribly skeptical at first but its working.
    My body is doing great and most of my cravings have died away. But I never knew till now just what a big role food has played in my social life.
    No more eating out. No more lunches with friends or dinners with my husband. That has been my biggest struggle.

Wow...so you're not concerned at all about menses, huh?
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    How does this teach you to eat properly? I prefer the slow but sure eating properly and as clean as possible, exercising and feeling great.

This has worked for me. Since mid January I have lost 72 pounds. I do not have headaches, I do not feel weak, I am never hungry and I feel awesome. I can still go out for meals and be social too. It is how real life works.

In addition to that, I am learning how to eat properly and how to exercise a body that seems to thrive on it. No pills, no injections, no cr@p....just old fashioned doing what your body needs.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

For how long???
    Aren't you just starving yourself??? :cry:
  • Kristi82
    Kristi82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Is that like the Dr Bernstein diet?
  • frogtoestoo
    Options
    How does this teach you to eat properly? I prefer the slow but sure eating properly and as clean as possible, exercising and feeling great.

This has worked for me. Since mid January I have lost 72 pounds. I do not have headaches, I do not feel weak, I am never hungry and I feel awesome. I can still go out for meals and be social too. It is how real life works.

In addition to that, I am learning how to eat properly and how to exercise a body that seems to thrive on it. No pills, no injections, no cr@p....just old fashioned doing what your body needs.

I have to agree with havingitall. I'm 48 and have tried many "diets" over the years but always gained it back eventually. This time (I started in February) I decided to EAT HEALTHY and EXERCISE! I went out for pizza with the family over the weekend, I've been to a wedding with a HUGE buffet, I've gone to McDonald's once or twice with the kids. It's all about choices. I savor each bite. If I splurge here, I cut back there or add more exercise. I really think you have to change your lifestyle. You may lose it faster on this diet, but how do you maintain it? :frown:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Is that like the Dr Bernstein diet?

No, the Bernstein's Diet is a low carb plan.

On Bernstein's what you can eat:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/bernsteinsdiabetesdiet/a/bernsteinfoods_2.htm

What you can not eat on Bernstein's diet:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/bernsteinsdiabetesdiet/a/bernsteinfoods.htm
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to agree with the minority. 500 cals isn't a lot of food and I can see someone going anxeratic on this diet. No one can maintain a healthy weight with only 500 cals a day, it's starving your body.

There are better ways to go about this.
  • plumpgirl
    Options
    Wow.
    Thanks for all the support.
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    What happens when you stop taking the hormones? :huh: Do not play around with your endocrine system to lose weight. You do not even know what kinds of consequences this will have on your body.

Why can't you just exercise and eat the right amount of good, whole foods? :sick:
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Wow.

Marg has asked some very good questions and here are some of my own. How long do you plan on doing this for? And do you have a plan to even things out when you're done?
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Was this a doctor recommended or approved diet? It just doesn't sound healthy.
  • PattyTheUndefeated
    PattyTheUndefeated Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Sadly here at MFP we don't support 'diet programs' that are blatantly unhealthy. I'm sure you'll lose weight, but you'll also lose your bone/muscle mass and you won't be able to function normally. You might as well be anorexic, it would be the same minus the hormone injections. Nobody lives on 500 calories, sorry. :huh:
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    Wow.

You have to do what is best for you of course. What these kind people are telling you is what they have discovered along their own successful weight loss journey. I look at those who have lost weight and are still losing and I stick with their advice!

There are at times contrary theories but everyone is different.

Still I would get sick on 500 calories a day, and long ago I did not tolerate the 'Pill' well, so I know hormones are not a way that I would want to go.

It is my hope that you won't stay on this diet for too long, because I worry for your health. I don't mean to be nasty about it, or to disparage you or your choices. I just hope that you lose some weight, and then begin a reasonable regime, like those people here who have lots MANY pounds, and are making it a way of life, and not a one time barely doable diet.

I hear 'we care about you' from these postings. That is what is motivating these people to post. Honest.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Wow.

Sorry :ohwell: I guess we all thought you were looking for kindly worded rational thought.

How long will you continue the shots? How long will you continue to eat only 500 cals a day? What happens when you stop the shots and return to eating food again?

(rest of comments edited/deleted by Lauryn1981)
  • kankan213
    kankan213 Posts: 105
    Options
    To be perfectly honest, you could probably lost the weight minus the drops on a 500 calorie diet. 500 calories is not enough for anyone except someone extremely overweight being supervised by a doctor at all times (aka The Biggest Loser).