Love bicycling, hate my bike

2»

Replies

• Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Absolutely agree with the comments that geometry is huge. I tried many and found that Kona, for example, just doesn't feel good for me although I know dozens of riders who love them. Santa Cruz felt like it was made for me.

If it's a mountain bike you're looking for, I loved my Santa Cruz Chameleon (hardtail) which I rode for a number of years. Loved it so much that when I decided to go full suspension I chose the Santa Cruz Heckler, because the geo felt the same as the chameleon. I can dial the travel right down if I'm climbing or doing a Xcountry ride, and dial it up for the downhill stuff. Great all-around bike.

http://www.cyclerscafe.com/Portals/7/Brands/2007/SantaCruz/Heckler.gif

New bike shopping - how exciting for you. Have fun!!
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    you should test ride whatever you can and go to a store where there is lots of choice and where they can measure you so you can get the proper geometry.

It's all about getting a bike that fits you properly and is appropriate for the type of riding you do.

better quality bikes with good components will not only fit you better than cheaper brands, but because of this and the quality of their components they will be safer, lighter and ultimately more fun!

PM me if you want some more specific advice.

Erika

Yes, ditto, that is golden advice and spot on!!

Demetria
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Can anyone tell me the difference in the brands they have suggested and the "big box" brands like Schwinn and Huffy? I'm discussing this with my husband and I can't really explain why other than "they said".

Stay AWAY from the big box stores. I can't repeat that emphatically or often enough.

Consider your investment--the bike you select will be something you keep for probably 10 yrs or more. When you spread the cost over that period of time, an extra couple of hundred bucks for a good bike is a bargain.

You will enjoy the better bike today, tomorrow, next week and years from now. If for some reason you don't ride it for awhile, all you will need is a tune up (or a clean and lube job) and you will have a great bike again.

I also recommend buying a bike from a reputable local store--one run by those interested in cycling. I once visited a bicycle manufacturer and toured the factory. They made the frames, and did a rough job of threading the spokes, but essentially grabbed a box of components and threw them in the shipping box.

In other words, the actual "assembly" of the bike was done by the store at the point of sale. Meaning that your bike, no matter what the brand name, is only as good as the person who puts it together for you. Who do you want doing that? A mechanic at at bike shop who is passionate about cycling, or some kid in the back of a sporting goods store?

A bike store will also answer all these questions you are asking here and make sure you select the right sized frame and are properly fitted to that frame. They will also let you test drive as many different bikes as you need so you can feel the difference. And almost all will provide a free tune up after a couple of hundred miles, since many new bikes need to be adjusted after a "break in" period.

As you can probably tell, I have pretty strong opinions on this subject. Cycling can be such a great activity, I just HATE seeing people shortchange themselves on the experience by going too cheap on a bike or getting it at the wrong place.

I would plan on spending $400 to $500 on a new bike, minimum (assuming no special sales). The longer you have it, the more you will thank yourself for making the right decision.
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Regarding the calories.....why don't you take the difference between the two (12 mph & 17 mph) and use the halfway mark. That way you are in the middle rather than on the low or high end.
This discussion has been closed.