Why no sleepy at night???

Options
chonji4ever
chonji4ever Posts: 120 Member
Ok, why is it so hard to go to sleep at night? I know that others have this. You can be so tired during the day, that you risk dozing at work, in your car, or (in my case) watching TV right after work. You fight it, and push through the day without a nap or shut eye...nothing!. You think there is no way you'll have trouble sleeping, and do the dazed walk to the bed. Then it hits, you are wide awake...and there is no chance you are going to sleep any time soon!

Who else??

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Yep. Me.
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I feel like this all the time. I find that sometimes it helps me to take some melatonin to get a good nights sleep.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Same here.. it sucks :(
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I do that. I know some "experts" say to get up if you don't fall asleep within 15 mins, but it's ALWAYS taken me at least an hour if not longer to fall asleep.

Last night, was horrible, I couldn't get comfy or sleep!

I just stay in bed and figure that at least that way I'm resting even if I'm not sleeping. If I get up, I'm going to read or watch TV which doesn't make me sleepy and wouldn't relax me either
  • Expialidojess
    Expialidojess Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Me too. I take forever to fall asleep and then wake up in the middle of the night and am awake for good. I have a hard time shutting my brain off.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I get this way when I over-train.
    :embarassed:
    HATE THAT!
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    That is me right now. The alarm goes off at 6. I'm exhausted and wide awake at the same time.
  • giggles7706
    giggles7706 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Me too. I take forever to fall asleep and then wake up in the middle of the night and am awake for good. I have a hard time shutting my brain off.

I have this same problem. Part of mine is probably due to working nights for almost 4 years. But I always have the hardest time falling asleep and if I do fall asleep - it seems like I'm waking up all the time during the night and then when 3 or 4 rolls around - I am up for the day.....
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    No problem here. Then again, I work nights. :laugh:
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    I think it's the little kid in me afraid of missing out on something good. haha...maybe it's the voices in my head telling me all the things I need to do tomorrow?

I dont know, but I do know I need to put this phone down and GO TO SLEEP! :yawn:
  • IAMDDAY
    IAMDDAY Posts: 771
    Options
    I am working so the boss gets mad if i sleep
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    I have the same problem. I can be dead tired, but as soon as I hit the bed my brain starts thinking about things that need to be done. Wish I could turn it off.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I do that. I know some "experts" say to get up if you don't fall asleep within 15 mins, but it's ALWAYS taken me at least an hour if not longer to fall asleep.

Last night, was horrible, I couldn't get comfy or sleep!

I just stay in bed and figure that at least that way I'm resting even if I'm not sleeping. If I get up, I'm going to read or watch TV which doesn't make me sleepy and wouldn't relax me either

I used to be like this my entire life until I followed the advice to get up after 15 mins. Now I am out within a few minutes of head hitting the pillow.

The idea is to condition yourself to know that pillow=time to sleep, not time to think/read/watch tv/rest/. Once you get that conditioning sorted it works like magic. And this is coming from someone who took hours to get to sleep ever since i was a little kid.

And yep, the idea is to get up, do something, and not to lie back down again until tired. It's a pain at first, but it literally only took me a couple weeks to go from full insomniac lie-in-bed-for-five-hours to pillow=sleep.

LOL, i now actually can't lie around and rest, or read or anything. Hit the pillow and i sleep. It's the best thing ever after a lifetime of sleeping difficulties.
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Geez! I thought I was alone in this! I was always a night owl but until recently, the minute I hit the pillow, I would fall asleep. Now, I go to bed at 1 am...and see 2 and 3 am slipping by..and then fall asleep close to 4am... Good thing I am retired!!!
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I do.. It's usually b/c I'm still putting a child to sleep. I can not sleep well until my entire household is asleep. It's just the way I am. I'll go into bed in a little bit and read.
  • Bleeeeeh
    Bleeeeeh Posts: 6
    Options
    I have the opposite issue, I can't get out of bed! But there are some things to help you, if it's too bright from your alarm clock, or lights outside, really anything then your body might not be producing the chemicals you need to "fall asleep". My room is very dark, thus I'm not getting the wake up chemicals so I end up sleeping in if theres nothing planned. Also having a clock near you can make it worse as you keep opening your eyes, causing the light to "wake you up a bit" then actually forcing yourself to be more mentally active to register the time, and thus all that relaxing time was wasted and it has to start all over again. Maybe getting a sleeping mask might help?
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    i suck at sleeping.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it has been something that I have fought through the years... even before starting my weight loss journey. Reasons can vary... Usually is explained away in ups and downs in the glucose levels. Right after lunch is always tough... Right after work.. I often like to sit in my chair and rest as well.
  • IAMDDAY
    IAMDDAY Posts: 771
    Options
    i suck at sleeping.

you should practice more lol
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Insomnia stalks me